wheel size ???

Old July 22nd 05, 12:04 AM
Rosey

Default wheel size ???

Hi,

Try a Schwinn dealer, or have your LBS order a set for you. That's where I got
new EA3 tires just a few months ago for an old English 3-speed I was restoring.
They were only about $10/ea.

Nita

ellis wrote:

I've got a pair of wheels off an old Ross Eurotour. They had 26" slick
tires on them, and the prior owner told me they were 26" wheels. The tires
were balding and just about shot, so I took them off, which took some elbow
muscle. I tried to slap on a pair of new 26" knobby tires, and realized
they were too small for the rims. I realized they weren't 26" rims!

My questions a how the hell did somebody slap on a pair of 26" tries on
wheels that are clearly an inch larger, and is there a freaking wheel size
that is in between 26" & 700c? Because I lined up the wheels and a 26" from
one of my mountain bikes, and these wheels are in between 26" & 700c in
size. I know that 27" wheels are even larger than 700c, or am I wrong?

I've been a mountain biker for a long while, so only used to dealing with
26" wheels. Is there a wheel size that is between 26" & 700c? Like
26.5"?!? Please excuse my ignorance about the non-26" universe.

TIA

Old July 22nd 05, 06:38 AM
A Muzi

ellis wrote:

[...]

Ross are 26 x 1-3/8 x 1-5/8 EA3 which are 590mm tires.
Mountain bikes are 559mm tires.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 22nd 05, 11:31 PM
Sheldon Brown

ellis wrote:

Thanks. You learn something new every day. It's a 590 mm 26 x 1 3/8
(E.A.3) - "Most 3-speeds, department-store or juvenile 10 speeds" according
to Sheldon Brown (you rule, Sheldon!). Anybody know where I can find a pair
of 26 x 1 3/8 tires? I've looked in Nashbar & Performance, but no dice.
Wal-mart?

If you found my Website useful, how 'bout buying tires from me?

We've got a great selection. See: http://harriscyclery.com/590

Sheldon "Tires" Brown
| Bicycling isn't supposed to hurt! See: |
| http://sheldonbrown.com/pain.html |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide