AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 22nd 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Beverage

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 13:04:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

If I would asked 100 riders on a MTB or road bike today (it was a nice sunny day here; 28 C)

It was a nice sunny day yesterday, 87F. (and, alas, nice sunny days
as far as the ten-day forecast can see.) [After I wrote that, we got
beyond as far as the forecast could see, and now the rain won't stop.
First the corn wilts, and then the lake rises onto the beach.]

I tried a new idea for beverage, and it worked well.

Instead of making switchel, I carried switchel concentrate in a bottle
I'd bought twenty-four ounces of honey in, and squirted some into the
front bottle each time I topped it off. (I also started with that
bottle full of ice cubes, and added ice from the cooler a few times.
It still spent considerable time warm.)

A while back, I boiled a quarter cup of red-wheat flour in half a cup
of "seasoned" (sugared and salted) rice vinegar and sufficient water
to make a pint. It came out thicker than previous experience had led
me to hope. I'll use a higher proportion of vinegar next time.

For the fireworks party, I made lemon syrup from two cups of fructose,
one cup of water, and six lemons. Nearly all of it was left over.

I put some from each of those jars into the honey bottle, added about
a tablespoon of freshly-grated ginger, and filled the bottle with
strained orange juice.

The orange juice is getting fizzy, so there was probably some alcohol
in it.

I went on a "dump tour" the following Tuesday. This time I topped off
with "blackcherry-plum" juice, and thought I added too much. I held
up pretty well despite missing my usual glass of tea.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---