Silent freewheels

Old June 9th 05, 10:35 PM
Robert Norton

Default Silent freewheels

My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why??
Rob N

Old June 9th 05, 10:43 PM
emma

I like the lovely mechanical clicking noise that indicates a rest
period

Old June 9th 05, 11:16 PM
David Martin

Robert Norton wrote:
My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why??

We ride our bikes. Any bike has a silent freewheel [1] if it isn't
ridden. Most bikes live in the back of the garden shed or garage. If
they wern't silent, can you imagine the noise of millions of freewheels
wailing from the back of the garage 'ride me.. please... ride me..'.

...d

[1] inside every fixie is a freewheel which has seized the day..

Old June 9th 05, 11:42 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Robert Norton
') wrote:

My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why??

Fundamentally because Campag famously clack like a football rattle, and
everyone else imitates Campag. I quite like my Campag clack (mind you,
it isn't allowed to clack that often). The SRAM on my Cannondale is
relatively quiet.

;; single speed mountain bikes: for people who cycle on flat mountains.
Old June 9th 05, 11:44 PM
Clive George

"Robert Norton" wrote in message
My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why??

Interestingly a lot of the posher hubs have very noisy freewheels (Hope,
DT/Hugi, Chris King, apparently Phil Wood), and Campag are noiser than
shimano.

The posh hubs I mentioned also have much stronger freewheel mechanisms -
this could be related.

Of course the secret is to not freewheel!

cheers,
clive

Old June 10th 05, 06:49 AM
Peter B

"Clive George" wrote in message
Interestingly a lot of the posher hubs have very noisy freewheels (Hope,
DT/Hugi, Chris King, apparently Phil Wood), and Campag are noiser than
shimano.

My mtb Hope is noisy but rarely heard.
If I'm not peddaling it's because I'm going downhill and other noises drown
out the hub, these may include wind noise, ratting from the bike, rattling
from my body, screams from my mouth or some ******* laughing at the look of
panic on my face.

--
Pete

Old June 10th 05, 08:19 AM
Tony Raven

Robert Norton wrote:
My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why??
Rob N

Its about the only sound we do make and we have enough trouble getting
pedestrians to notice we are there as it is ;-)

--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill
Old June 10th 05, 08:19 AM
Tony Raven

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Robert Norton
') wrote:

My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why??

Fundamentally because Campag famously clack like a football rattle, and
everyone else imitates Campag. I quite like my Campag clack (mind you,
it isn't allowed to clack that often). The SRAM on my Cannondale is
relatively quiet.

That's nothing compared to the Chris King bag of bees sound.

Old June 11th 05, 09:08 AM
Buck

On 06/09/2005 22:35:33 "Robert Norton" wrote:

My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why?? Rob N

Because centrifugal clutches,(yes I know centrifugal force does not
exist, I'm a physicist), are expensive and heavy.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old June 11th 05, 09:16 AM
Peter B

"Buck" wrote in message

On 06/09/2005 22:35:33 "Robert Norton" wrote:

My Dawes Galaxy came with a silent freewheel which i regard as a great
luxury. Most bikes don't have them. Why?? Rob N

Because centrifugal clutches,(yes I know centrifugal force does not
exist, I'm a physicist), are expensive and heavy.

Only I think a "silent" freewheel is a form of Spragg clutch, relying on
friction not centrifugal force.

Pete