Gluele4ss tire patches

Old October 20th 16, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Gluele4ss tire patches

UH ON ALL OTHER TUBES including 3M Rubber Adhesive n the various liquid electrical tapes, a patch of grocery bag film over the tube threads, cap loosely, squeeze out air n tighten cap.

this works here in Florida.

The method does not work for small rubber cement tubes.

The problem is tiny cracks opening up in the tube where it flexes
Old October 20th 16, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 3:32:08 PM UTC-7, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 6:28:59 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 4:49:13 PM UTC-4, Doug Landau wrote:
Coat the tube with glue the first time you open it.

Ah, great idea!

I must confess i just thunk it up i dunno if it actually works

UH ON ALL OTHER TUBES including 3M Rubber Adhesive n the various liquid electrical tapes, a patch of grocery bag film over the tube threads, cap loosely, squeeze out air n tighten cap.

this works here in Florida.

The method does not work for small rubber cement tubes.

'its a pack of Listerine Breath Freshener strips'

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/tubes

Where was that pic taken?
Old October 20th 16, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On 2016-10-20 09:32, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:59:49 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Interesting. How do you keep that from drying up? That is always my
problem. Just a few months after helping another rider fix a flat my
vulcanizing tube contents gum up, especially during summer.

I have the same problem with the small tubes of rubber cement that I
keep in the car. Even the ones that have never been opened are dried
out after a few months baking in the car. The best solution I've
found so far is to seal them inside a vacuum seal bag.
https://www.uline.com/BL_5563/Vacuum-Bags
I built my own sealer using an Edwards vacuum pump and a syringe.
Harbor Freight is cheaper:
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-98076.html

For $100 I can buy a lot of new little cement tubes or even whole patch
kits.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

$20 is better but still too much for this one purpose. Plus clogs up the
garage more.

A few days ago I ordered a 5-ton electric/hydraulic log splitter. They
have it on a coupon-sale for $230 right now. To my utter amazement this
huge 110lbs monster still ships for a $7 flat fee, less than I'd pay for
gas to drive to the store for pickup.

I have two tubes of rubber cement currently in the car that I'm
testing. My guess(tm) is about 9 months so far. I'll open it up
after 1 year. I suspect that the Zip-Loc type bags will also work but
probably not as well. I haven't bothered to find a Zip-Loc bag that's
the correct size for the tube.

I also tried using a pressurized outer container. The idea was to
raise the pressure outside of the tube to something higher than the
vapor pressure. In theory, that should have reduced evaporation.
However, the solvent managed to diffuse through the cap seal, and the
pre-opened tube was dry in about 3 months.

Not sure if a CO2 atmosphere would prevent it from hardening. If so, I
could use the byproduct of the beer brewing I started a few months ago.
CO2 is coming out of the airlocks so there should be no chance of
backfeeding any nasty smells.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

an electric log splitter ?

Weenieville

goo.gl/nFjuDB

who delivers the logs ? Weyerhaeuser ?
Old October 20th 16, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-20 09:32, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

[...]

Have you ever split four cords by hand?

Old October 21st 16, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 9:52:29 AM UTC-7, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 12:37:37 PM UTC-4, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
WTF ? SEZ Skin lubricant Do not use internally

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/components/tubes

http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/GenuinePartsCompany/NWMDC?$Product=GenuinePartsCompany/255880

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...izi ng+cement

bought a small can yesterday $17 last glue shot at getting the Montrail’s soles back on without a shoemaker. Mon using that NB water soluble glue ?

new NAPA number is 165-1685

there is an MSDS

contents know to State of California to caws microchephaly

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ck%20on%20shoe
Old October 21st 16, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Old October 21st 16, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 07:39:21 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 10/20/2016 5:33 AM, John B. wrote:

Has anyone had success with the glue less tire patches? The ones where
you just sandpaper the tube and stick the patch on without any tire
cement.

I seem to remember sitting on the side of the road some years ago,
with the rain pouring down and the damned patches wouldn't stick at
all... But that may very well have been the environment :-)

I'm not particularly concerned whether the patched inner tube will
still be holding air 1 year from now I am mainly concerned with
getting home that day. If the patch was air tight for, oh say 4 hours,
I'd be satisfied.

I have also read that some makes of these patches are better than
others but the only sort I have seen here are made by "SuperB" whoever
they might be.

As with any rubber patching system, the abrasive is intended
to clean the surface, not to add surface area. Whether emery
or a steel 'cheese grater', wrap the tube across the back of
one hand, injury up, scuff lightly and blow off any
detritus. Apply clean patch firmly without contaminating
either surface with your fingers. To get a good idea of the
scope of the problem, try wiping a small area of an inner
tube with a volatile solvent such as lacquer thinner (or
actual tire buff fluid) and a clean cloth. The big smear of
black crud on your cloth is the stuff which keeps a patch
from proper adhesion.

All that aside, lower pressure fat tire riders seem more
satisfied with peel-n-stick than road riders. This may be
due to tire pressure or the larger tube section, I don't know.

A medical alcohol prep packet is a handy addition to a patch
kit.

Many riders just bring along a spare tube and do their
repairs later in a more conducive environment than by the
side of the road, in the rain.

Yes, I carry a spare tube and sometimes two. But there are those days
when that isn't enough :-( The "sitting the rain" episode was exactly
that. Three flats with Gaterskin tires and two spare tubes.

The wiping with alcohol is a good idea and I will try it the next flat
I have.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 21st 16, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Joerg wrote:
:On 2016-10-20 15:35, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
: On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 1:27:26 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
: On 2016-10-20 09:32, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

:[...]

:
[...]
: --
: Regards, Joerg
:
: http://www.analogconsultants.com/
:
: an electric log splitter ?
:
: Weenieville
:
:
: goo.gl/nFjuDB
:
: who delivers the logs ? Weyerhaeuser ?
:

:Have you ever split four cords by hand?

yeah, and I used to be faster than your splitter is.

--
sig 58
Old October 21st 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On 2016-10-20 06:07, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:

:As with any rubber patching system, the abrasive is intended
:to clean the surface, not to add surface area. Whether emery

That's not what the patching training I've been to taught me. (for
automotive and industrial tires, notbike) As I
recall, abraiding a tire to #2 texture doubles the surface area
avaliable for the glue to cross link with.

:A medical alcohol prep packet is a handy addition to a patch
:kit.

So is a cotton ball. Fluff it out, and drag it aroundthe inside of
the tire . It'll snag on the tiniest piece of wire sticking through.

:Many riders just bring along a spare tube and do their
:repairs later in a more conducive environment than by the
:side of the road, in the rain.

Certaainly my prefered method. I have a giant bottle of vulcanizing
fluid ...

Interesting. How do you keep that from drying up? That is always my
problem. Just a few months after helping another rider fix a flat my
vulcanizing tube contents gum up, especially during summer.

What I do is buy those small tubes of "glue", I don't remember the
cost but they are cheap and if I open one I just throw it away and
replace it with a sealed tube when I get home.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 21st 16, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2016-10-20 06:07, David Scheidt wrote:
AMuzi wrote:
:

[...]

That prevents finding a tube that you've used before to be empty. It does nothing for the situation in which you find a tube that you haven't yet used to be empty.