suntour 2 prong freewheel remover

Old January 31st 05, 10:03 PM

Default suntour 2 prong freewheel remover

which one is the strongest, most durable, expletive deleted
unbreakable?

Bicycle Research 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover

Lifu 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
Park 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover

Old February 1st 05, 05:56 PM

Andrew Muzi writes:

which one is the strongest, most durable, expletive deleted
unbreakable?
Bicycle Research 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
Lifu 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
Park 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover

They don't vary that much. I'm partial to Don's gold colored BR
tool of those three. Kingbridge were better but recently
discontinued.

Technique does vary. Secure the tool to the freewheel with a skewer
or axle nut. Fasten the tool in a vise and rock the wheel back and
forth a couple of times so you know it is fully engaged. Tighten the
skewer or axle nut again. Grasp the wheel in both hands and unscrew
in a brisk and forceful manner. Once it breaks free, slack the
skewer or axle nut before going any farther.

I haven't had good luck with two pronged removers and use only the
four pronged kind of which I have a couple. The next most important
detail is to put the FW on with anti-seize grease that contains
molybdenum-disulfide to prevent metal to metal contact of the threads.
They come off far easier that way and don't go on any tighter, this
being another one of those dynamic thread joints on a bicycle.

Jobst Brandt

Old February 1st 05, 07:54 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

which one is the strongest, most durable, expletive deleted
unbreakable?
Bicycle Research 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
Lifu 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
Park 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover

I haven't had good luck with two pronged removers and use
only the four pronged kind of which I have a couple.

The old SunTour/Maeda Perfect freewheels require a two-pronged remover.

Old February 1st 05, 08:48 PM

right. no shimano ufo tool steel left in two prong removers!
i have steel of necessary prong thickness, two prong legs downward from
a 4"x2" mother rectangle should do it.
Here at Terminus, barely used wide tooth ufo steel 10 minute propane 5
gear clusters are piled 6 deep in the shop while the frames go north on
the freight train-

Old February 2nd 05, 04:27 AM
A Muzi

Gene Daniels clearly and succinctly (!) queried:

)

wrote:
I haven't had good luck with two pronged removers and use only the
four pronged kind of which I have a couple. The next most important
detail is to put the FW on with anti-seize grease that contains
molybdenum-disulfide to prevent metal to metal contact of the threads.
They come off far easier that way and don't go on any tighter, this
being another one of those dynamic thread joints on a bicycle.

Yes, that's helpful advice about antiseize paste. We also
install freewheels with it.

However, when one has a stuck 2-notch freewheel, a 4-prong
tool isn't helpful.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old February 2nd 05, 05:40 AM

Andrew Muzi writes:

Which of these is the stronger, most durable, expletive deleted
[...]

I wasn't aware that SunTour had a two notch FW's that were worth
keeping. That was the case with two notch Regina FW's that got the
boot before Regina introduced the inside spline remover. The same
should probably be done with two-notch SunTour bodies. For that
matter, I think only the New Winner Pro FW's are worth a damn and they
wore out internally faster than I liked. They have a labyrinth seal
on both sides but with so small a gap that it acts as a capillary for
water rather than a barrier. It does admirably as a dirt barrier
though.

Jobst Brandt

Old February 2nd 05, 06:15 AM
A Muzi

Which of these is the stronger, most durable, expletive deleted
unbreakable?

(Gene Daniels)
Bicycle Research 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover:
Lifu 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover
Park 2-Notch SunTour Freewheel Remover

(AM)

wrote:
I haven't had good luck with two pronged removers and use only the
four pronged kind of which I have a couple. The next most
important detail is to put the FW on with anti-seize grease that
contains molybdenum-disulfide to prevent metal to metal contact of
the threads. They come off far easier that way and don't go on any
tighter, this being another one of those dynamic thread joints on a
bicycle.

(am)

wrote:
I wasn't aware that SunTour had a two notch FW's that

were worth
keeping. That was the case with two notch Regina FW's that got the
boot before Regina introduced the inside spline remover. The same
should probably be done with two-notch SunTour bodies. For that
matter, I think only the New Winner Pro FW's are worth a damn and they
wore out internally faster than I liked. They have a labyrinth seal
on both sides but with so small a gap that it acts as a capillary for
water rather than a barrier. It does admirably as a dirt barrier
though.

New Winners still pop up in good enough shape to warrant new
cogs.

Suntour made a real contribution by sinking their two slits
deep inside the body - as opposed to Regina's suicide lips
that even Campagnolo's overbuilt tool couldn't protect.

Shimano went one better with the modern spline system.

I think Suntour's 4-notch was a stubborn statement of
"Splines? Not invented here".

Certainly the New Winner's adjustable body bearing system
was a solution in search of a problem but, again, there are
riders who've worn out and replaced several sets of cogs on
those bodies and are still riding.

I wish some major manufacturer would come up with a complete
cog change system and support before we completely run out
of our Suntour.

It was last made in 1992 and still today offers better
support for custom gearing than anything before or since.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Suntour POWERFLO freewheel ? dvt Techniques 5 November 19th 04 04:35 PM
Suntour Alloy Freewheel? Jee Chung Techniques 3 September 7th 04 07:47 AM
FA: classic SunTour AG 14-38 freewheel LioNiNoiL_a t_N e t s c a p E_D 0 T_N e T Marketplace 0 August 3rd 04 01:43 AM
Suntour hub remover DaveB Australia 6 March 25th 04 12:21 AM
FA: Campagnolo Freewheel Tool Kit The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 23rd 03 03:09 AM