Why hematocrit drugs?

Old September 11th 03, 07:09 PM
Darren

Default Why hematocrit drugs?

If hematocrit enhancing drugs is all they can get away with these days, and
they can only boost that to a relatively modest 50, it would seem to me that
turning your bedroom into an O2 tent would be a whole lot less bother than
vet's, idiotic phone codes, IV's and the like.

Maybe Johann just got nostalgic and decided to try and keep European
cycling's long, rich history of intravenous doping from dying? Surely he can
be forgiven for that.

D.

---

Old September 11th 03, 11:52 PM
Tom Kunich

Err, if you're limiting your hematocrit to 50% or less than the only
difference between an altitude tent and the EPO needle is the speed of
reaching your goal.

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Darren" wrote in message
nk.net...
If hematocrit enhancing drugs is all they can get away with these

days,
and
they can only boost that to a relatively modest 50, it would seem

to me
that
turning your bedroom into an O2 tent would be a whole lot less

bother than
vet's, idiotic phone codes, IV's and the like.

You're assuming that living/sleeping in an altitude tent is just as
effective as injecting yourself with EPO. The available science says

that
this assumption is incorrect.

Andy Coggan

Old September 12th 03, 01:40 AM
chris

Yeah but I read Men's Health and it said that Lance has pushed his Hct
to near 50, almost a 10% increase over previously reported values.
That same article had some nteresting quotes from you, as well.
Surely your quotes must carry some weight...

nk.net...

Old September 12th 03, 01:57 AM
Andy Coggan

"chris" wrote in message
om...

"Andy Coggan" wrote in message

ink.net...
"Darren" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

I don't know how many times I talked to the writer and editor at Men's
Health trying to help them with their story, but whatever it was I'm not
100% certain that we ever got everything completely cleared up. Having not
seen the article, I can only hope that I was quoted accurately.

Andy Coggan

Old September 12th 03, 03:57 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Jason Waddell" wrote in message

Plus the wives would not be to hip to the idea of sleeping at 14,000ft...

And pass up the chance to join the 2.652 mile high club?

Old September 12th 03, 12:18 PM
Andy Coggan

"warren" wrote in message
In article , chris
wrote:

Yeah but I read Men's Health and it said that Lance has pushed his Hct
to near 50, almost a 10% increase over previously reported values.

Lance has mentioned using an altitude tent.

And John Cobb told me that he saw it sitting smack-dab in the middle of the
bedroom of his villa in France (before Armstrong moved to Spain). But again,
the issue is whether you can drive hematocrit up that much via manipulation
of inspired PO2. Perhaps if you were exposed to the equivalent of 15,000
feet for 24 h/d for many months on end...but even then, a good part of the
increase in hematocrit would be due to a decline in plasma volume, not an
increase in red cell volume.

Andy Coggan