Nasty crash

Old July 5th 03, 04:39 AM
John Doe

Default Nasty crash

I have a pretty ordinary bike and I have hit 85km's an hour. If the hill
was longer I may have well have gone faster. Problem is t intersection.
There are a few roads I can hit 80+. If you were on a high performance
bike and no headwind or even better a tail wind then it is possible to hit
110.

"John Staines" wrote in message
: Easy, you go down a hill. I've clocked up 77km an hour and I don't even
: have that good a bike and also I was slowing myself down.
:
: During the Jacobs Creek Tour Down Under the riders were clocked, with a
: speed gun, going down Checkers Hill Road at 100km +
:
: Cheers
:
: John
:
:
:
: Michael Stern wrote:
:
: how do you go 110km on a bike?
:
: "Andrew Swan" wrote in message
: ...
: SPECIALIZED
: BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
: When we say BigHit we mean it.
:
: Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

Old July 5th 03, 04:40 AM
John Doe

"Luther Blissett" wrote in
message ...
: Richard Sherratt wrote:
:
: **snip**
: He was
: alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
: when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
: treasured.
:
: Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not
: at the car next to/behind me!
:
: - LB
:

Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

Old July 5th 03, 06:50 AM
Ray Peace

Hi there,
I have overtaken cars on a number of hills, notably
Wheelers Hill, Olivers Hill near Frankston and coming down Mt St
Bernard. It requires care as the drivers are not expecting you to come
up on their right hand side at a higher speed.
Afraid the bingle referred to is a hazard of racing, which is primarily
why I don't do it, race that is. I have had both single bikes and
tandems up to 85 k/mh but do not much like it, your first mistake at
that speed is frequently your last.
Cheers,
Ray.

Old July 5th 03, 04:02 PM
Mayhem

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:30:43 +1000, "Michael Stern"
wrote:

how do you go 110km on a bike?

Easy, you hope on ya bike and ride. :-)

.. .

Old July 5th 03, 06:41 PM

John Doe wrote:

"Luther Blissett" wrote in
message ...
: Richard Sherratt wrote:
:
: Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not
: at the car next to/behind me!
:
: - LB
:

Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at 85km.
Too light and the steering is too quick (on a road bike), compared to
cars and motorcycles.

GK
Old July 6th 03, 03:38 AM
John Doe

"g" wrote in message
: John Doe wrote:
:
: "Luther Blissett" wrote
in
: message ...
: : Richard Sherratt wrote:
: :
: : Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead,
not
: : at the car next to/behind me!
: :
: : - LB
: :
:
: Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.
:
: I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at 85km.
: Too light and the steering is too quick (on a road bike), compared to
: cars and motorcycles.
:
: GK

I dont know about that. I mean really. Not disagreeing totally but the
contact pressure on a bicycle wheel is a lot higher than a bike or car. You
would have to sit down and think about it and look at the physics I guess.
Anybody out there with too much time on their hands could work it out for
us.

Pete

Old July 6th 03, 09:00 AM
John Doe

"g" wrote in message
: John Doe wrote:
:
: "g" wrote in message
: :
: : I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at
85km.
: : Too light and the steering is too quick (on a road bike), compared to
: : cars and motorcycles.
: :
: : GK
:
: I dont know about that. I mean really. Not disagreeing totally but the
: contact pressure on a bicycle wheel is a lot higher than a bike or car.
You
: would have to sit down and think about it and look at the physics I
guess.
: Anybody out there with too much time on their hands could work it out
for
: us.
:
: Pete
:
: More to do with shock absorbsion. Road bikes don't have suspension,
: though if standing, your arms and legs act as suspension. Bicycles
: definately feel skitterish on high speed down hills, which for a car or
: motocycle isn't high speed. Also a motorcycle has a huge amount of
: steering trail compared to a bicycle.
:
: GK

I guess I will have to take your word for it because I don't know and dont
have the inclination to find out. I know that when I have hit 85 down a
couple of particular hills they are particular straight and a good surface.
I don't feel skitterish at all but the first time I did it I got a bit of a
shudder when I applied the brakes but that is probably due to the rims not
being perfect and the high speed showed it up as a vibration.

Mayo Crash: Nozal involved? hotbanjo Racing 5 July 8th 04 09:01 PM
First crash today Luigi de Guzman General 22 August 14th 03 12:48 PM
Jan's crash Kurgan Gringioni Racing 12 July 27th 03 03:27 AM
Lance / Mayo crash chronology, and pedal controversy MrBob Racing 6 July 22nd 03 10:49 PM