mudguards

Old January 12th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default mudguards

We live on a canal boat and see hundreds of people WITHOUT a rear mudguard
but WITH a dirty streak of mud etc up their backs.

Surely a couple of quid spent on a guard is cheaper than the laundry bills
after every trip out? Or are we missing something.....Testosterone, ego trip
etc.???

Paul

Old January 12th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

anjuna came up with the following;:
We live on a canal boat and see hundreds of people WITHOUT a rear mudguard
but WITH a dirty streak of mud etc up their backs.

Surely a couple of quid spent on a guard is cheaper than the laundry bills
after every trip out? Or are we missing something.....Testosterone, ego
trip etc.???

Apathy.

Just 'cos people don't do something, doesn't mean they consciously don't do
it ...

OTOH, I'd never put mudguards on my bike ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old January 12th 06, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

anjuna wrote:
Surely a couple of quid spent on a guard is cheaper than the laundry bills
after every trip out? Or are we missing something.....Testosterone, ego trip
etc.???

A lot of cheap bikes come without mudguards fitted and it probably
doesn't occur to the people that buy those kind of bikes to actually fit
them.

Riding at this time of year without mudguards, even on the road, is just
silly - unless you are "training" and therefore more concerned about
every last gram that can be trimmed off your bike (which probably
doesn't have clearance for mudguards anyway), in which case you will be
togged up in lycra that would be so sweaty and stinky by the end of the
ride it would need to go in the wash straight away even if conditions
were bone dry, so what's the difference if it's got a little bit of mud
up the back?

I have to say I was amazed to see a few people on the Poor Student ride
on mudguard-free racing machines. Can't imagine what state they would
have been in by the end.

d.
Old January 12th 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , anjuna
') wrote:

We live on a canal boat and see hundreds of people WITHOUT a rear
mudguard but WITH a dirty streak of mud etc up their backs.

Surely a couple of quid spent on a guard is cheaper than the laundry
bills after every trip out? Or are we missing
something.....Testosterone, ego trip etc.???

Mudguards are just a total bloody nuisance. They're continually being
knocked out of adjustment, and when out of adjustment they rub on the
tyres in irritating and occasionally dangerous ways. If you're doing any
serious riding your clothes are going in the washing machine anyway when
you get back, so why bother?

Essentially, solid, serious, heavy mudguards on solid utility bikes in
flat areas may make sense. Otherwise, can't see it, myself.

;; For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth
;; knowledge increaseth sorrow.." - Ecclesiastes 1:18
Old January 12th 06, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

anjuna wrote:
We live on a canal boat and see hundreds of people WITHOUT a rear mudguard
but WITH a dirty streak of mud etc up their backs.

Surely a couple of quid spent on a guard is cheaper than the laundry bills
after every trip out? Or are we missing something.....Testosterone, ego trip
etc.???

This is your very first posting anywhere under this identity. You are
either TrollB, or that twit who surfaces once in a blue moon to ask
about the curious attitude towards helmets. Buggeroff. Oh, AICMFP.

R.
Old January 13th 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"anjuna" wrote in message

We live on a canal boat and see hundreds of people WITHOUT a rear mudguard
but WITH a dirty streak of mud etc up their backs.

Surely a couple of quid spent on a guard is cheaper than the laundry bills
after every trip out? Or are we missing something.....Testosterone, ego
trip etc.???

Even in winter i'd say only 10% of trips or less get enough water on the
road to throw up much spray. Fit mudguards and you have extra weight & wind
resistance and general rattles etc for those 90%+ dry trips when they serve
no purpose.

Old January 13th 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message

Even in winter i'd say only 10% of trips or less get enough water on the
road to throw up much spray. Fit mudguards and you have extra weight &
wind resistance and general rattles etc for those 90%+ dry trips when they
serve no purpose.

Depends on locality m'lud. Here in deepest rural Norfik many a rural road is
swathed in nasties and IMO, mudguards are an essential bit of winter kit on
one's steed. If one does not have mudguards on one's steed, one very quickly
ends up looking like one has participated in the Paris-Roubaix on a wet day.

Cheers, helen s

Old January 13th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:

Mudguards are just a total bloody nuisance. They're continually being
knocked out of adjustment, and when out of adjustment they rub on the
tyres in irritating and occasionally dangerous ways.

That would be why I still haven't been bothered to take the race blades
off the road bike. I hardly notice them there at all. As for the MTB,
the mudguards on that are fine on the back. The front one got taken off
a while back for some reason and I put one of those crud guards on.
Better than nothing but far from ideal. Must dig out the old front
guard and fit it.

If you're doing any
serious riding your clothes are going in the washing machine anyway when
you get back, so why bother?

Keeps all the crap off your seat pack/saddlebag.

Essentially, solid, serious, heavy mudguards on solid utility bikes in
flat areas may make sense. Otherwise, can't see it, myself.

My mileage varies. Dundee is definitely Not Flat (though not as hilly
as some areas) but I still manage quite happily with mudguards and
would rather have them than not.

...d

Old January 13th 06, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , anjuna
') wrote:
Mudguards are just a total bloody nuisance. They're continually being

knocked out of adjustment, and when out of adjustment they rub on the
tyres in irritating and occasionally dangerous ways. If you're doing any
serious riding your clothes are going in the washing machine anyway when
you get back, so why bother?

Essentially, solid, serious, heavy mudguards on solid utility bikes in
flat areas may make sense. Otherwise, can't see it, myself.

Bit "Green Eggs and Ham" Simon. I have nice narrow black SKS raceblades
on my new road bike and they are really fit forget, remove, fit
forget...They do seem to provide more than 2/3 of the perfomance of
conventional guards with 2x the practicality. Mounting time is less
than a minute and they don't move around.

Sometimes its about keeping the road slime down rather than staying
totally dry.

Being black and narrow they are barely visible (if that matters). They
also come in silver and grey. But stealth black are just that.

"Try them...you might like them"

kind regards
daren
--