Chinese Carbon Wheelset

Old August 25th 19, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Chinese Carbon Wheelset

On 25/8/19 8:09 am, John B. wrote:

So you add friction, i.e. "Park Tool Supergrip Carbon and Alloy
Assembly Compound" (Note: Not for threaded surfaces. Do not use for
bearing lubrication)

I wonder whether you could use it to polish a slightly marred bearing
surface?

--
JS
Old August 25th 19, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 05:15:46 +0700, John B.
wrote:

After all one doesn't want to be just part of the herd. One wants to
Stand Out!

I've been wishing, my entire life, that I could *stop* Standing Out.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old August 25th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/24/2019 9:58 PM, James wrote:
On 25/8/19 7:36 am, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:18:05 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 25/8/19 5:18 am, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have never used "carbon paste" for anything and can't imagine why.

Imagine harder.

--
JS

Why? I have had CF frames for a long time. I've never even SEEN
"carbon paste" let alone used it for anything.

Because you complained about a CF seat post slipping.Â* You wrote:

"In one point it again made that noise and it appears that it was the
seat post moving. Think that I'll throw away that Campy Carbon seatpost
and install an aluminum one."

So Tom is a case in point. He's got to be more mechanically competent
than most recreational cyclists. He's got decades of experience. But
even he doesn't know that carbon paste is recommended for many part
interfaces.

I think there must be tens of thousands of newbies who will know less
than that, and will over-torque or otherwise damage lightweight CF
parts, especially as CF gets less expensive and more common.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 25th 19, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/24/2019 10:00 PM, James wrote:
On 25/8/19 8:09 am, John B. wrote:

So you add friction, i.e. "Park Tool Supergrip Carbon and Alloy
Assembly Compound" (Note: Not for threaded surfaces. Do not use for
bearing lubrication)

I wonder whether you could use it to polish a slightly marred bearing
surface?

Back in the 1970s, some guys replaced hub grease with fine grinding
compound, then spun their hubs' axles using electric drills to polish
the races and (theoretically) reduce friction a tiny bit. They would
then discard the balls, clean out the compound, and reassemble with new
balls and clean grease.

I had one (and only one) friend who tried it. I never saw evidence of
benefit.

I think these days, those guys buy ceramic ball bearings.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 25th 19, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 25/8/19 8:09 am, John B. wrote:

So you add friction, i.e. "Park Tool Supergrip Carbon and
Alloy
Assembly Compound" (Note: Not for threaded surfaces. Do
not use for
bearing lubrication)

I wonder whether you could use it to polish a slightly
marred bearing surface?

Back in the 1970s, some guys replaced hub grease with fine
grinding compound, then spun their hubs' axles using
electric drills to polish the races and (theoretically)
reduce friction a tiny bit. They would then discard the
balls, clean out the compound, and reassemble with new balls
and clean grease.

I had one (and only one) friend who tried it. I never saw
evidence of benefit.

I think these days, those guys buy ceramic ball bearings.

I remember that. It's not different from other industrial
processes (valve/seat lapping compound for example).

For a basic Atom-Nornandy or Suzue hub (good quality
materials, mundane finish quality) improvements may be found
but I doubt a Record would benefit at all.

Back to the question, if one's going to the trouble, I would
use lapping compound or polishing rouge in oil but not
carbon prep.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 25th 19, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, 25 August 2019 11:48:27 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I KNOW there are a lot of bicycle owners who do NOT know how to properly use a quick-release wheel skewer. I've seen many of them use the quick-release lever as an oversize wingnut and simply turn the lever until the unit felt tight. Heck, I've even seen wheels on department store bicycles tightened that way and that's with the closed cam design.

I've seen many bicycles, on the rail-trails around here, that had a V-brake disconnected because the rider didn't know how to adjust it so a brake pad wasn't rubbing.

I also remember reading years ago as to whether or not kids bicycles should have a handbrake instead of a coaster brake and the reason was that a child might not have a strong enough grip to use a handbrake safely.

So, with so many department store bicycles being sold, where does a newbie who doesn't know that they need to learn things about their bicycle go for that learning? Perhaps that's why there are so many department store bicycles donated, tossed or left to languish = the owner of them doesn't know how to fix a simple thing and either gives up riding or rides the bicycle until it can't be ridden without repairs being made, and just buys another cheap bicycle.

Cheers
Old August 25th 19, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:39:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 11:36:31 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:18:05 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 25/8/19 5:18 am, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have never used "carbon paste" for anything and can't imagine why.

Imagine harder.

--
JS

Why? I have had CF frames for a long time. I've never even SEEN "carbon paste" let alone used it for anything.

Really? Google it, it has been around for ages.

Lou

Toothpaste has been around for ages as well and I sure as hell ain't putting it on my bike.
Old August 25th 19, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:48:24 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:36:31 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 2:18:05 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 25/8/19 5:18 am, Tom Kunich wrote:

I have never used "carbon paste" for anything and can't imagine why..

Imagine harder.

--
JS

Why? I have had CF frames for a long time. I've never even SEEN "carbon paste" let alone used it for anything.

Usually called fiber paste or fiber grip. http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...ts/fiber-grip- It reminds me of Goop hand cleaner with Borax -- a high viscosity gritty substances that prevents slipping between carbon parts, specifically seat posts. If you have not had slipping, good for you -- but it maybe the reason your CF post is causing so much racket. OTOH, you could just have a noisy post. At 5nm on the clamp bolt, some carbon posts will slip in a carbon frame without fiber paste. The post on my old Roubaix would.

-- Jay Beattie.

Carbon fiber bars have a sandy-like gripping surface. I've bought maybe a dozen different CF bar types and they have all had this surface. Where else do you propose to use it? On the seat post? Maybe in the ball bearings?

Old August 25th 19, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 11:21:37 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

For instance. It has the same effect as the sandy like gripping surface of your handlebar-stem interface.

Lou