Endless Arguments

Old August 27th 19, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Endless Arguments

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 11:49:01 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 10:52:38 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 8/25/2019 7:03 PM, news18 wrote:

snip

It is relly sad that your own measure of worth is in $$$$. That you
have no other measure of your worth and yor impact throughout your
life.

In the Bay Area, being "worth a million" is of little consequence.

If you've owned even a modest house, for a decade or more, your net
worth, inclusive of equity in your house, is probably at least $1
million. And these aren't mansions!

Some people do cash out when they retire. They move to other areas with
much lower housing costs, and live off the proceeds from the sale of
their California real estate (or they move to a more rural part of
California).

We have a lot of house-rich, cash-poor seniors in this area. But
because of Prop. 13 they don't want to sell their house, they want to
pass on the low assessed value to their heirs. The unintended side
effect is low turnover of single family homes, so young families end up
moving to more distant communities and commuting if they want to buy a
house.

Why do your comments leave me the impression that you are mortgaged to
the hilt?

Because they don't. If you'd been following the property market in
housine for a few decades and cast you eyes around, you know all of this
applies in many ares and many westernised countries.

In any case, we brought a home nd not a prperty investment, so it is
irrelevant what it might sell for.
Old August 27th 19, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 11:47:50 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 7:03:13 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 15:04:46 -0700, Tom Kunich wrote:

For all my irrelevance I've made a million a couple of times and am
presently again worth a million. Tell us all what you're worth? Or
maybe I should re-phrase that - what anyone would give for you?

It is relly sad that your own measure of worth is in $$$$. That you
have no other measure of your worth and yor impact throughout your
life.

I've never summed how much income I've had over my life as it indicates
nothing. I'd prefer to remember the thousands of peope I've helped lead
a better life and to whom I've passed on my skills and values.

Further, I have no interest in exploring "what anyone would give for
you"
as I have no need for anyone to give me anything. I structured my life
over forty years ago so that I could step off that circular treadmill
of employment and purchasing and implied feelng of inadequacy that soe
many people seem to need in their life as a justification.

My measure of worth is in my accomplishments: I'm VFW

So you're 3LA.

28 veterans are for Trump to every one against. Could that be that real
life tends to open one's eyes?

You have my comisserations for YOUR president, but I did predfict he woud
be a cluster**** right from the start.

I designed and programmed the micro-titration device used to discover
HIV in the American blood banking system and connect it to AIDS.

Didn't your paper get accepted for oublication?

I designed and programmed liquid and gas chromatographs which taught me
about spectroscopy so that I know that "man-made global warming" is an
entire lie from beginning to end.

Didn't your paper get accepted for publication?

I designed some communications boards that are on the International
Space Station so my work is presently helping science to this day.

Is

I programmed the poison gas detectors for the military so that they
could discover the WMD that people like you claimed didn't exist.

Right, that explains that CF.

I also know that some 500,000 lbs of uranium yellowcake was captured
in Iraq and confiscated and brought back to the USA via Canada.

It needed to evade custome regulations of something?

Frank will tell you that yellowcake isn't fissile material because he
is a fool. The amount of uranium oxide recovered would boil down to
over 2,600 nuclear bombs but asses will always be asses.

Given enough dynamite, anything become fissible. It even featured in a
hobby electronics magazine over here. The real fun was the great
Electronic Dick claiming it took a house sized pie to make it go bang,
until someone explained back pack nukes to him. In anycase, it just takea
tube of black powder to make a EMP.

I even designed the hardware for the "smart meter" that PG&E uses to
read your gas meters.

What gas meter?

I also worked on the original large scale multi-user computer that was
used as the west coat arm of Arcnet.

Yer, I've patched cables for some pretty archaic computer systems in my
time. I've even had a bit of arcnet HW in my collection.

The largest IBM would handle 3
users at once. Ours would use 100 simultaneous users.

You need to get yor "computer history" 3 Users was the expected number of
global customers for "IBM" first computer.

Frank would again
comment as he did in the past that Arcnet is not the Internet because as
the fool he is he doesn't know that the ONLY difference between the
ARCNet and the Internet was the addressing structure which was a minor
software change.

KNIO, KNIO, KNOI
You're confusing HW & SW requirements,

The money I made was a concomitant return of value for value - you are a
moron who do not understand that.

Yer, but I've still got mine and I've been retired for decades and no
whinng about not having enought money.

Tell us what you've ever done that you're proud of.

Naah, I'm self contained and don't need to preen.

Old August 27th 19, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 10:31:53 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 3:06:53 AM UTC+1, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:54:14 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:
nothing of value, again.

Run, rabbit, run.

Andre Jute Every dog gets his day

My score ratchets up.

Old August 27th 19, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 12:59:36 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 6:42:45 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/26/2019 1:33 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 25 August 2019 22:06:53 UTC-4, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:54:14 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:
nothing of value, again.

Trolls seldom post anything of value.

+1

--
- Frank Krygowski

And another two rabbits, Rideablot and the wannabe bullyboy, Krygowski,
both long since frightened off by the truth, cowering in the dark at the
back of their hutches, muttering under their breath at me.

Mutter on, rabbits.

Andre Jute Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
His truth is marching on.
-- Julie Ward Howe

wikipedia Man strikes again.
Old August 27th 19, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 11:49:03 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

His comments should leave you with the opposite impression. Let me parse the post for you: "house rich, cash-poor." Well, that means they have a lot of equity but no cash. If they were mortgaged to the hilt, they would have no equity and be cash poor, unless it were a reverse mortgage, then it would be declining equity and cash rich-er.

He is talking about people who have owned their homes for "a decade or more," and a assuming a fifteen or thirty year mortgage, then they have considerable equity -- which was the point of the post.

I don't know why you read "white" and assume "black."

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 27th 19, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/27/2019 7:00 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

He is talking about people who have owned their homes for "a decade or more," and a assuming a fifteen or thirty year mortgage, then they have considerable equity -- which was the point of the post.

Correct. Most of us in this area never expected the astronomical
increases in real estate prices that have occurred. We are
multi-millionaires on paper, living in 1960's tract homes on small lots.

We have a lot of retired seniors in my community. Back when they
purchased their homes, this area was not high-cost and many had blue
collar jobs, or lower paying white collar jobs like school teachers.
they were not tech executives. Their homes are paid off and live off of
Social Security and perhaps a small pension, but are living in houses
that would sell for $2-3 million.

Some seniors struggling financially despite their equity. Local
non-profits assist some of these seniors with home maintenance and repairs.
Old August 27th 19, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 11:08:43 UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

One of the problems I've seen sometimes when house and property values increase a lot over the years is that the original now retire purchaser living in that house has a heck of a time meeting the increased taxes payments and/or the increase in utilities costs. A lot of times that causes them to have to sell.

Cheers
Old August 27th 19, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/27/2019 5:30 AM, news18 wrote:

snip

In any case, we brought a home nd not a prperty investment, so it is
irrelevant what it might sell for.

Exactly. We never anticipated the huge increase in real estate prices
when we purchased our house. Our bigger worry was that the prices might
fall. Fortunately, even in the last recession, values didn't go down in
our city. Hopefully in the next recession this will again be the case.

Unlike some people, we don't go around boasting about our "net worth"
based on our home equity.
Old August 27th 19, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/24/2019 4:01 PM, John B. wrote:

Right! And than we have Good Old Tom who apparently posts here to
demonstrate his vast ignorance. And who is now whining because various
inhabitants here have, from time to time, pointed out some of his more
outrageous claims as being pure imagination.

Usenet is much more readable when you filter out the noise. G-d invented
Usenet filters. Use them.

The quality of the remaining content increases exponentially when you
only read posts from people that don't continually post misinformation.
Old August 27th 19, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/27/2019 10:17 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Howard Jarvis' argument exactly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/