Problems with upper gears

Old September 9th 19, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Problems with upper gears

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 22:48:21 UTC-4, AK wrote:
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 4:17:40 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/8/2019 3:13 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2019 10:35:43 UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
I recently had my rear derailleur replaced along with new shifters on a 18 speed mountain bike.

Shifting in the lower gears is smooth and there is no noise when pedaling.

I can shift smoothly into all gears however, there is a "clicking" sound when I am in the upper gears.

The bike tech who did the work said he could not find a seven speed shifter and installed an eight speed shifter and told me he would make adjustments so it would work.

I have been told this.

"It is a problem, but can be fixed by also replacing the freewheel, but I definitely wouldn't be paying for any service from a tech who didn't know this would be a problem."

https://imgur.com/a/xF73i91

https://imgur.com/a/5VB6gat

The 8 shifter is compatible.
Common problems include cable/casing/ferrule issues and rear
changer misalignment.
It ought to shift well and quietly with all new equipment.
This has a new seven chain, new FW and new cable/casing right?

Since when is an 8-speed shifter compatible with a 6-speed cassette or freewheel?

Cheers

Yikes. You're right. I missed that.

If it's still a SIX freewheel, there's no way that shifter
could work.

And by the way, WTF? Six shifters are cheap and plentiful.
As are Sevens.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Is this what I need?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunrace-M53...AAAOSwdA9asB-v

I think I can sucessfully install it.

I found this video on adjusting the derailleur.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT

Andy

NO! If you have an INDEXED SIX-SPEED freewheel or cassette and you want to keep it indexed then you need a SIX-SPEED shifter. 7 speed and 6 speed are different thicknesses of cogs and spacing between cogs is different too.

Cheers
Old September 9th 19, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

6 speed freewheel and 8 speed shifter/derailleur are never compatible. 7 and 8 speed are compatible with Campagnolo parts, but for the love of God don't do that.

7 speed Shimano pattern freewheel or cassette and 8 speed Shimano pattern shifting are not compatible, but can be coerced to kinda-sorta work poorly together. There's a 0.2mm difference in gear intervals that stacks up to 1.2mm discrepancy across the extremes. It's likely to make noise.
Old September 9th 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:38:53 AM UTC-5, Chalo wrote:
6 speed freewheel and 8 speed shifter/derailleur are never compatible. 7 and 8 speed are compatible with Campagnolo parts, but for the love of God don't do that.

7 speed Shimano pattern freewheel or cassette and 8 speed Shimano pattern shifting are not compatible, but can be coerced to kinda-sorta work poorly together. There's a 0.2mm difference in gear intervals that stacks up to 1.2mm discrepancy across the extremes. It's likely to make noise.

Thanks for the info. So what do I need?

Andy
Old September 9th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Use that Seven shifter with a Seven freewheel and Seven chain.
If you already own a new Six speed drive train, that shifter
is the wrong part.

Old September 9th 19, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

p.s. If your local guy sold you an 8 shifter for a 6 system,
and then charged you to install it and make it not work,
ride over there at your earliest convenience and straighten
him out. That process would range from politely pointing at
the number "8" on the shifter while loudly counting
sprockets, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, SIX!" up to and including not so
politely wrapping your bicycle around his face.

Old September 10th 19, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 9 September 2019 12:04:07 UTC-4, AK wrote:
On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:38:53 AM UTC-5, Chalo wrote:
6 speed freewheel and 8 speed shifter/derailleur are never compatible. 7 and 8 speed are compatible with Campagnolo parts, but for the love of God don't do that.

7 speed Shimano pattern freewheel or cassette and 8 speed Shimano pattern shifting are not compatible, but can be coerced to kinda-sorta work poorly together. There's a 0.2mm difference in gear intervals that stacks up to 1.2mm discrepancy across the extremes. It's likely to make noise.

Thanks for the info. So what do I need?

Andy

What you need to shift a SIX speed INDEX cassette or freewheel is a SIX speed INDEX shifter.

Was your original shifter (the one that was replaced) a SIX speed INDEX shifter? If it was a FRICTION shifter then the 8-speed shifter should work IF it has a FRICTION MODE on it besides index.

Cheers
Old September 10th 19, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 7:45:43 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I talked to the bike shop owner. He will replace the 6 speed freewheel with a new 7 speed at no additional charge.

So I guess I will have 3 more gears. :-)

Andy
7 speed
Old September 10th 19, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

AK wrote:
[...]

And if the text upthread is correct, your shifting will still be screwed up
because you will be using an 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed cassette.

Old September 10th 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/9/2019 8:51 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

A good start.
If it has a Six chain now, get a Seven chain. If they used
an 8 chain, get a Seven chain. And test ride it before you
complete the conversation.

Old September 10th 19, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, 9 September 2019 21:59:55 UTC-4, Ralph Barone wrote:
AK wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily. I have a 7-speed cassette that's being shifted with a SRAM 8-speed twist-grip shifter with no problem at all. I did adjust the gears by using the middle cog on the cassette though as that minimizes the differences over the entire range. It works fine though.

Cheers