reflective tape

Old October 9th 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default reflective tape

Today I put some white reflective tape front,
and some red rear, on a bike. Pointing a 38lm
flashlight at it from ~1.5m makes for a very
visible reaction.

The only downside was that the tape gave the
impression of not really sticking to the bike.
On the casette saddle-stay side, I had to clean
the stay with acetone before it would stick
at all.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old October 9th 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 12:44:47 PM UTC-5, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I put some white reflective tape front,
and some red rear, on a bike. Pointing a 38lm
flashlight at it from ~1.5m makes for a very
visible reaction.

The only downside was that the tape gave the
impression of not really sticking to the bike.
On the casette saddle-stay side, I had to clean
the stay with acetone before it would stick
at all.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

I put reflective tape on the frame and rims of the bike I used on Paris Brest Paris. It was some silvery white reflective tape. I covered the entire frame, except the headtube. And strips between every other spoke. When car headlights were shined on the bike, when driving into the garage, the bike lit up like a beacon. It was very noticeable when lights hit it. From any angle.
Old October 9th 18, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/9/2018 5:42 PM, wrote:
[...]

I like the stuff, although I haven't indulged to anything like that same
degree. I've got it on pedals, a spot or two on a crank arm or two, some
dots on the spoke bed surface of some bike's rims, etc.

But you have to keep it clean. And treat it as an extra measure, not as
an alternative to legal requirements.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 16th 18, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 6:43:28 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/9/2018 5:42 PM, russellseaton1 wrote:
[...]

Applied correctly in Ontario, it meets the requirement that a bicycle display reflectors front and rear. My bike has strips of reflective white tape about 10" by 1" on each fork blade, and reflective red tape the same size on each seat stay. I cleaned the surfaces with alcohol before applying the tape.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old October 16th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 16/10/2018 3:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

In Quebec the reflective tape can be used in lieu of wheel protectors
and pedals but in the case of the front and rear reflectors there is no
exclusion for actual reflectors. Doesn't make any sense but some cases
have been reported where tickets were issued. And the fines have
increased from $15 per reflector to $85.

Just a heads up if you ride across the border.
Old October 16th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 4:22:01 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 16/10/2018 3:35 PM, wrote:
[...]

IIRC, Ontario Canada requires BOTH a front facing white reflector and white reflective tape, plus a red rear facing reflector plus the red reflective tape.

Cheers
Old October 11th 18, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 19:44:23 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

On the casette saddle-stay side, I had to clean
the stay with acetone before it would stick
at all.

Careful with acetone. It will attack some paints and any plastics:
http://www.plasticsintl.com/plastics_chemical_resistence_chart.html
Click the "Acetone" check box - "Show Selected"
If all you want to do is remove the grease, something milder like
alcohol, mineral spirits, or naphtha should be sufficient.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D