Wire-Pannier Pocket

Old September 20th 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Wire-Pannier Pocket

The bearings in my back wheel froze up when I was within walking
distance of the Trailhouse, where the back wheel I'd left for
rebuilding was about ready. Wasn't an easy walk when the bike won't
roll!

Before leaving the bike to have its wheels swapped, I removed
everything that might get in the mechanic's way. (It was a couple of
rides later before I remembered to put the cable lock back. It was
rather aggravating to remember to take the key and then discover that
I didn't have the lock.)

Upon putting the stuff back, I realized that putting my emergency
stuff into a plastic grocery bag and throwing it into a pannier wasn't
a very good way to carry it. I needed a saddle bag!

Checked the cupboard. Only one saddlebag, a wee tiny under-saddle bag
I used to carry a rechargeable battery in -- it would *maybe* hold my
spare tube. A few days later, I checked at the Trailhouse. Not many
saddlebags -- one can circumnavigate this town as an after-supper
stroll; it's rather surprising that we can support a bike shop at all
-- and every last one was an under-saddle bag; the aerodynamic shape
would make it hard to arrange my stuff, and it might be hard to open
the bag and tuck in a couple of fruit-and-grain bars.

Time to hit the Web -- is Custom Cycle Fitments still around, and if
so, do they still sell the exact saddle bag I have in mind?

Never got around to checking, because in the meanwhile, my plastic
grocery bag had somehow ended up bungeed to the outside of my left
pannier, and that's a very good place to carry it. Not very neat,
have to untie knots and undo bungees to get at the stuff, and sooner
or later the thin plastic will tear and dump my stuff into the road to
get run over by a truck before I can go back to get it.

I need a . . . um, what *do* you Google to find a flat bag that
attaches to the outside of a wire pannier?

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old September 20th 10, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

On 19/09/10 9:10 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

Zimbale makes some nice saddlebags, "http://zimbale.com".

I'm going to Interbike on Wednesday and I'm going to look at them, and I
may become a dealer.

Pocket knife toolkit Dieter Britz Techniques 5 January 13th 06 10:27 AM
Pocket PC holders... Mac UK 27 August 3rd 05 07:24 PM
tax return burning a hole in my pocket (G) Steve Knight Recumbent Biking 25 February 12th 05 11:17 PM
Electric Pocket Bike [email protected] Recumbent Biking 1 January 7th 05 10:22 PM
Pocket Bikes Only $600AUS$ JAMTEK Computers Australia Racing 2 September 19th 04 09:31 PM