Litespeed Fork Replacement - Recommendations?

Old September 13th 10, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

Default Litespeed Fork Replacement - Recommendations?

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:42:28 -0700 (PDT), bfd
wrote:

On Sep 9, 5:26*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I have a 2006 Litespeed Tuscany. *Recently while cleaning it up I
noticed what appears to be a horizontal crack in the inner wall of one
of the fork arms about where the tire would hit. The fork probably has
about 25K miles on it.

The original fork is a Real Design HP Pro made of - you guessed it -
carbon! I was never a big fan of carbon and am even less so now. Based
on my drawing the fork rake is 45mm.

I am now searching for a replacement and would like to maintain the
current or even less agressive handling characteristics.

I am obviously not wedded to carbon but realize that there is not much
else out there right now that isn't. I would also like the replacement
to asthetically go with the brushed titanium frame.

Are there any carbon forks out there that are better than another? By
better I mean better durability which may equate to a better warranty
although I hope that neither I nor my heirs would need to claim it!
Conversely are there any brands/models that should be avoided?

If your bike is a 2006, I presume the frame requires a 1.125" (1 and
1/8") steerer tube fork. If so, there are plenty of excellent build
carbon forks on the market. On the "high-end," take a look at Edge
Composite 1.0 or 2.0 or the new Serotta F-series forks. Note, both
companies' forks can be very expensive - $600+ price range.

These are out of my price range.

Otherwise, Easton sells the EC90 SL and SLX forks in the $350- 400
range.

I have been looking at these and hope that I might be able to find one
at a discount. This is what Litespeed is currently using on some of
their higher end bikes according to a rep at Litespeed.

If you need a 1" steerer tube fork and still want carbon, here's a
place that is selling the Easton EC90 SL fork for $230:

http://www.bikewagon.com/Forks-Heads...21594-2-3.html

Hurry as it is my understanding that Easton has discontinued making 1"

Great price! However, my steerer tube is 1 1/8"

Thanks,

Steve
Old September 13th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:04:46 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

Op 10-9-2010 2:26, Steve Sr. schreef:
[...]

Thanks for your suggestions.

Steve

Call Litespeed.

I did. Their only offer was for a Chinese manufactured / Litespeed
branded carbon fork with an aluminum steerer tube for $100.

Steve
Old September 13th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:42:32 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 9, 7:26*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:
[...]

You could get a steel fork custom made with 43mm of rake which would
give you a little more trail and is a common rake offered with lots of
forks. IOW it's not a radical change and you might not even notice a
difference. Or, you might g.

Have it painted black or perhaps there is someone out there doing faux
carbon weave paint on steel. "No one needs to know".

Otherwise, EMS Pro forks had-- and may still have-- steel steerer
tubes and were (are?) available in 1" size if that's what you need.

I have an EMS Pro in an old Litespeed Catalyst frame, 1" steerer tube,
that seems to be a stout fork. The clearcoat cracks fairly easily but
I haven't seen any actual fiber damage. Open to correction from those
with wider experience.
--D-y

Thanks for the tip. I tried looking for EMS and they have apparently
been bought up by Kestrel and don't appear to be offering forks
directly now based on a web site search.

Steve
Old September 13th 10, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Sr.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 22:23:34 -0500, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:

On 9/9/2010 7:26 PM, Steve Sr. wrote:
[...]

I would find a custom builder who works with titanium alloy and have a
matching fork made for the frame, if Litespeed cannot supply a titanium
alloy fork.

Interesting concept. Were there titanium forks before all of the
latest carbon? Especially since titanium is so difficult to work with.
I would think it much harder to make a Ti fork than a frame.

Steve
Old September 13th 10, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
James[_8_]

On Sep 11, 1:23*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
[...]

http://www.baumcycles.com/

"Fine bicycles in titanium and steel"

I've ridden a Ti bike from Baum. Very nice indeed, but rather
expensive. I believe several Aussie Pro's use them, Cadel Evans
amongst them.

JS.
Old September 13th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
James[_8_]

On Sep 11, 1:23*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:

I would find a custom builder who works with titanium alloy and have a
matching fork made for the frame, if Litespeed cannot supply a titanium
alloy fork.

BTW, Baum uses "3T Funda Team fork"

JS,
Old September 13th 10, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
kolldata

$100 ! BUY TWO do an xray
a JB chrome steel fork costs $100 ?
The Tuscany as catalogued came with carbon forks ? or was there a Ti
fork ?

Old September 13th 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
kolldata

if you want more trail try adding a 10mm bolt spacer in the dropouts
if the do's are horizontal.

Old September 13th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
bfd[_2_]

wrote:

Interesting concept. Were there titanium forks before all of the
latest carbon? Especially since titanium is so difficult to work with.
I would think it much harder to make a Ti fork than a frame.

Ti forks have never been a factor because carbon forks are lighter,
cheaper and easier to make. There are a few companies out there that
make ti forks. I believe Passoni (sp?) an Italian company is one. The
other that I know of is black sheep bikes:

http://www.blacksheepbikes.com/

At $550, it is not cheap and since they don't list the weight, I doubt
it is light. But if you really want a titanium fork, check it out.
Good Luck!
Old September 13th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Steve Freides[_2_]

Steve Sr. wrote:
On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 20:25:05 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Sr. wrote:

[...]

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show...ms-fork/50-718

One option, anyway. Or a local frame builder, for that matter, could
make you one.

I have considered a custom steels fork. However, there is a timing
problem. In just two weeks I leave for a cross-state ride that starts
in the mountains and ends at the coast. I am sure that there will be
some high speed decents coming out of the mountains. It looks like I
will have to go with something readily available.

Probably the easiest metric is the weight rating - find a carbon fork
rated for a heavy rider and it's likely to hold up better.

And why a custom steel fork? Why not a stock one?

-S-