Bicycle tires (or "tyres" if you're gay (not that there's anythingwrong with that))

Old September 17th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
zxcvbob

Default Bicycle tires (or "tyres" if you're gay (not that there's anythingwrong with that))

See what I did there? I got your attention. ;-) Anyway,

I have a 15 year old mountain bike that I use to commute to work a
couple of times a week. 5 miles each way, hilly terrain. The bike
has 26x1.95 knobby tires. I want to put a slick tire on the back
for a smoother ride and less rolling resistance. Do I need to up
the size a little to 26x2.0 so the height will match the front?
Does it even matter if they match? Thanks.

Best regards,
Bob
Old September 17th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sep 16, 8:06*pm, zxcvbob wrote:
See what I did there? *I got your attention. ;-) *Anyway,

I have a 15 year old mountain bike that I use to commute to work a
couple of times a week. *5 miles each way, hilly terrain. *The bike
has 26x1.95 knobby tires. *I want to put a slick tire on the back
for a smoother ride and less rolling resistance. *Do I need to up
the size a little to 26x2.0 so the height will match the front?
Does it even matter if they match? *Thanks.

Good question for rec.bicycles.tech, but I'll let you move it there.

The difference in diameter certainly doesn't matter. But why not get
two slicks? That knobby isn't doing you any good on pavement. Its
traction is probably worse in most on-road conditions, its rolling
resistance is certainly much higher, and the buzz must be annoying.
No need for half measures here.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 17th 10, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 9/16/2010 7:06 PM, zxcvbob ? wrote:
See what I did there? I got your attention. ;-) Anyway,

The British are gay?

Stick a pair of these on the bike: http://www.schwalbetires.com/big_apple.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 17th 10, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
zxcvbob

On 9/16/2010 8:18 PM, Tom Sherman °_° wrote:
On 9/16/2010 7:06 PM, zxcvbob ? wrote:
See what I did there? I got your attention. ;-) Anyway,

The British are gay?

I figured that out from watching the first 2 seasons of "Torchwood".

Stick a pair of these on the bike:
http://www.schwalbetires.com/big_apple.

Checking it out. Thanks.

Bob
Old September 18th 10, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

zxcvbob wrote:
See what I did there? I got your attention. ;-) Anyway,

I have a 15 year old mountain bike that I use to commute to work a
couple of times a week. 5 miles each way, hilly terrain. The bike
has 26x1.95 knobby tires. I want to put a slick tire on the back
for a smoother ride and less rolling resistance. Do I need to up
the size a little to 26x2.0 so the height will match the front?
Does it even matter if they match? Thanks.

Bob, I used to have a bike like that. I went with a halfway tire.
No big knobs like an off-road tire, but not slick either. The time
could come when you ride in rain or snow, and I personally don't like
the idea of slicks in that kind of stuff.
My tires were not particularly expensive, and they have Kevlar cord.
Between that and the liners I have in them, I have had very few flats,
another problem that will beset you sooner, or later if you're prudent.

Bill

__o | Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans
_`\(,_ | who are stuck in traffic on their way to the gym
(_)/ (_) | to ride the stationary bicycle. -- Earl Blumenauer