Riding between the tracks

Old September 5th 04, 04:02 AM
AustinMN

Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles wrote:
I was walking along the tracks with my dog a few years back, and I was
looking over my shoulder every so often to check for trains. Even so,

one
managed to get too close and I had to leap down the gravel side,

dragging
the dog with me. Exciting, oh yeah! You would have thought the dog

would
have heard it first, but no.

Electrified line or diesel-electric? I suppose even the diesel-electric

can
be pretty darned quiet when the generators aren't running hard. But steam
engines... let's hear a story from somebody about a steam engine sneaking

up
on them!

I saw plenty of trains (mostly passenger) when I lived in the Boston area
where the engines were positioned on one end of the train, and the train
shuttled back and forth all day. In other words, half the time, the engine
was in the back of the train pushing it. Even a steam locomotive would be
fairly quiet when at the other end of a 1/4 mile long train (though I'm not
sure any engineer would run one in reverse).

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old September 5th 04, 03:24 PM
Pat

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote
in message om...
I was walking along the tracks with my dog a few years back, and I was
looking over my shoulder every so often to check for trains. Even so,

one
managed to get too close and I had to leap down the gravel side,

dragging
the dog with me. Exciting, oh yeah! You would have thought the dog

would
have heard it first, but no.

Electrified line or diesel-electric? I suppose even the diesel-electric

can
be pretty darned quiet when the generators aren't running hard. But steam
engines... let's hear a story from somebody about a steam engine sneaking

up
on them!

--Mike Jacoubowsky

It was a diesel engine and I was out in the countryside of Oklahoma. I can
still remember that day---and shudder!
You would have thought the dog would have heard it first.

Pat in TX

Old September 5th 04, 03:36 PM
the black rose

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"the black rose" wrote: "I don't mean to offend, but ..." I've always
wondered why people say that right before doing something they have a good
idea will do just that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I said that because I wanted it to come across as a good natured wisecrack.
I'm sorry--evidently it didn't work.

I'm sorry. My sense of humor was on vacation because I've had a
headache for going on 3 weeks (or something like that, I'm starting to
lose track) and it's making me testy.

Please accept my apologies for snapping at you.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old September 5th 04, 03:50 PM
the black rose

Badger_South wrote:
we bikers are a stubborn lot
- it gets us up the hill when the hill would rather defeat us

A hill recently defeated me. *sigh* Got 2/3 of the way up a really
steep local hill -- I have no way of estimating its grade, but
definitely much steeper than the rollers around here -- and I just
couldn't face going farther. I had my husband in tow, and he'd had to
stop and I stopped with him. When we got going again, I couldn't get my
momentum back or break 5 mph. It was very difficult to ride in a
straight line, which was a necessity due to traffic. So I turned and fled.

At least the descent was fun. No curves, just a straight downhill, no
stop signs. It was safer to take the lane, and I was exceeding the
speed limit by a few mph anyway. *grin*

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old September 5th 04, 03:53 PM
the black rose

Pat wrote:
[...]

Maybe he did, but he was watching your (non-alarmed) body language and
relaxed accordingly? I know my dog watches me closely for cues.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie