Finding a mirror that is not a piece of crap...

Old September 3rd 04, 02:33 AM
Reid Priedhorsky

Default Finding a mirror that is not a piece of crap...

Hello all,

I'd like to find a mirror that works for me and isn't a piece of crap.
I've been having trouble in this. I'd like the following:

1. Attached to the handlebars (drop bars) in the vicinity of the left
brake lever. (Head-mounted mirrors I find disorienting, and bar-end
mirrors are placed too low.)

2. Stiffly attached to the bars. No wiggly plastic bits to amplify
vibrations.

3. Holds adjustment well, and proper adjustment is easy to recover after
being bumped.

4. Reasonably sturdy and resistant to breakage.

Currently I have a Blackburn mirror which fails all but #1.

Does such a beast exist?

Reid

Old September 3rd 04, 10:32 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

I'd like to find a mirror that works for me and isn't a piece of crap.

Mirrycle are the only bike-mounted ones I've ever found any good. The firm
has come and gone a few times, I understand, but if you shop around they can
definitely still be had.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
University

Old September 3rd 04, 02:19 PM
GaryG

"Reid Priedhorsky" wrote in message
news
Hello all,

I'd like to find a mirror that works for me and isn't a piece of crap.
I've been having trouble in this. I'd like the following:

1. Attached to the handlebars (drop bars) in the vicinity of the left
brake lever. (Head-mounted mirrors I find disorienting, and bar-end
mirrors are placed too low.)

2. Stiffly attached to the bars. No wiggly plastic bits to amplify
vibrations.

3. Holds adjustment well, and proper adjustment is easy to recover after
being bumped.

4. Reasonably sturdy and resistant to breakage.

Currently I have a Blackburn mirror which fails all but #1.

Does such a beast exist?

Reid

I have tried a number of different mirror styles. For bar-mounted mirrors,
the only one I liked was the Cateye bar-end mirror. It's cheap, and
provides a good sized view. Unfortunately, like all bar mounted mirrors, it
suffers from vibration. The Cateye was better than most in this regard and
worked reasonably well on smooth roads. But, on "chip and seal" roads it
vibrated so much as to be nearly useless.

By far the best mirror I have ever used is the "Take a Look" mirror. It
attaches to your glasses, is highly adjustable, and provides a large clear
field of vision. It's made in America from steel and brass, and is of a
much higher quality than the similarly mounted Third Eye mirrors.

Here are some reviews for the Take a Look:

http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Equipme...ingmirrors.htm

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old September 3rd 04, 02:56 PM
Jeff Starr

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:33:00 -0500, Reid Priedhorsky
wrote:

Hello all,

I'd like to find a mirror that works for me and isn't a piece of crap.
I've been having trouble in this. I'd like the following:

1. Attached to the handlebars (drop bars) in the vicinity of the left
brake lever. (Head-mounted mirrors I find disorienting, and bar-end
mirrors are placed too low.)

2. Stiffly attached to the bars. No wiggly plastic bits to amplify
vibrations.

3. Holds adjustment well, and proper adjustment is easy to recover after
being bumped.

4. Reasonably sturdy and resistant to breakage.

Currently I have a Blackburn mirror which fails all but #1.

Does such a beast exist?

Reid

Hi, I use a Blackburn that is made to mount on the brakehood, but I
mount it to the lower curve of the drop bar.
Mine has held up well, once adjusted, stays in place, although it did
take a couple of rides for it to settle in.
My only complaint is that it mildly interferes with my riding in that
part of the drop, although I can do it. I spend most of my riding time
on the hoods, and there it was in the way.

If you email me, I can send you photos of how mine is mounted. Just
swap people for animal.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old September 3rd 04, 03:51 PM

[...]
[...]