Should I bother with a rain bike?

Old September 5th 04, 06:06 AM
Preston Crawford

Default Should I bother with a rain bike?

So I decided this year that it would be a good idea (since I've upgraded
some parts on my Trek 1000 and I really like it and want to keep it in
good shap) to invest in a "rain bike". A cheap bike ($450 or under) that I
don't mind seeing take a little abuse. Here's my problem.

I've had a relationship for about 5 years+ with my LBS. They sold me my
first bike when I started biking again and I have purchased 6 bikes in
total from them, between my wife and I. We've bought innumerable bike
parts and we've paid for 4 fittings ($100 a pop). So I think we're loyal,
good customers who spend a lot of money with them. In return, of course,
we've generally gotten good service and we've lost a lot of weight on
these bikes. Over 300lbs. between the two of us.

The problem is this. Today I went looking for said rain bike, armed with
the fit sheets from my Mountain Bike (my first bike, a Trek 4300) and
Hybrid (a Trek 7500fx) fittings. I've since sold these bikes as I've moved
along, so that's why I can't just use one of them. Anyway, my idea was
that I would hopefully be able to get them to ballpark which bike would be
the best fit based on the past fittings. I've done this twice in the past
and they were very helpful and accomodating, nailing the bikes perfectly,
including changes that needed to be made.

This time around, they're not very willing to do this. I think it's partly
turnover. We're dealing with some people who don't know us as well and
thus aren't being as helpful. My wife recently (after a really bad fitting
she paid for - make that 5 fittings, forgot about that one) had to get the
work undone by a local Triathlon shop that has sprung up. They
straightened her out and got her set up right.

So I'm a little frustrated. My LBS has went from 3 shops to 5 and has went
from really friendly and helfpul to trying to upsell me to the more
expensive bikes or just push me out the door without really trying to help
me get the right bike.

Consequently, I'm getting kind of cold on the idea of getting a rain bike
period. The way I see it, I switch to a different LBS or I give up on
getting a rain bike. Who else here uses a "rain bike"? What are some good
recommendations (other than the obvious, a used bike, which I'll
definitely consider at this point)? But what are some good candidates for
new bikes?

Thanks,

Preston
Old September 5th 04, 06:11 AM
Preston Crawford

One note on this. To clarify, part of the reason I'm reluctant to continue
with my LBS is because if they won't help me get a bike close to my old
fits in terms of geometry I'd have to pay for a fitting. So suddenly a
$400 bike turns into a $500 bike. And given its purpose that crosses the
threshold for what I'm wanting to pay for the bike, given its purpose.

Preston

Old September 5th 04, 06:34 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 00:06:03 -0500, Preston Crawford
wrote:

So I'm a little frustrated. My LBS has went from 3 shops to 5 and has went
from really friendly and helfpul to trying to upsell me to the more
expensive bikes or just push me out the door without really trying to help
me get the right bike.

You should either talk to a manager, preferably someone you have known
for a while, or find a new bike shop. Sounds like this is not the bike
shop that you started with. Sounds like they have abandoned customer
service and long-term relationships in favor of turnover and
expansion.

Things change. It's hard when you have tried to be loyal, but there's
no need to be loyal when they haven't been loyal to good service and
good customers.

Go somewhere else.

Consequently, I'm getting kind of cold on the idea of getting a rain bike
period. The way I see it, I switch to a different LBS or I give up on
getting a rain bike. Who else here uses a "rain bike"? What are some good
recommendations (other than the obvious, a used bike, which I'll
definitely consider at this point)? But what are some good candidates for
new bikes?

Thanks,

Preston

My rain bike is a Marin Muirwoods. Full fenders. Or my rain bike is my
mid-80s Falcon... oh, full fenders, also. And then I just made a
single speed out of an old discarded Specialized Crossroads.... hey,
it also has full fenders, so I'll have no problem riding it in the
rain.....

See a pattern developing here?

I would decide what posture you want in the rain. And tire width. Then
find a bike that will give you these things *and* take full fenders.
Fully upright leaves me too exposed, and makes it hard to lean over to
get my eyes out of the rain. Too far forward and I don't feel as if I
can see well enough. A quick glance in clear air tells me what I need
to know, but in the rain I find it hard to see clearly. I'd go for the
'urban' or 'pavement' or 'relaxed road' or whatever each company calls
it if buying new. Used, a mid-80s road bike with handlebars up around
seat height.

To make any bike a rain bike, put Koolstop salmon pads on the brakes,
install full fenders and mud flaps, and take 5-10 lbs of pressure out
of the tires.

You should have enough info from previous fittings to practically fit
yourself.

Old September 5th 04, 06:54 AM
Preston Crawford

wrote:

So I'm a little frustrated. My LBS has went from 3 shops to 5 and has went
from really friendly and helfpul to trying to upsell me to the more
expensive bikes or just push me out the door without really trying to help
me get the right bike.

You should either talk to a manager, preferably someone you have known
for a while, or find a new bike shop. Sounds like this is not the bike
shop that you started with. Sounds like they have abandoned customer
service and long-term relationships in favor of turnover and
expansion.

I think it is. And it's sad because we've gone through all we've gone
through with this shop. They've been so good to us in the past, but not
any longer. The fit with my wife was particularly terrible. Like a year
ago she wanted a road bike, so she bought one. She kept hitting her knees
on the drops when getting on the bike, though, and consequently had
problems getting clipped in (she was still getting used to clipless at the
time). So a couple days after buying the bike she had her fit. They did a
really poor fit for her at which she insisted that they try a different
handlebar. They said basically "suck it up and get used to it". She tried
to show them it wasn't working and wiped out in the parking lot, injuring
her elbow and requiring stiches. After that they put a straight bar on.
Like a mountain bike bar. Basically they wouldn't listen to her and she
tried what they said and the result was a trip to the emergency room.

It wasn't until this week that the triathlon shop said basically "huh?
They make drops that go all kinds of distances.". They had them in stock
too. Now she can ride in drops without hitting her knees on them. This is
just one example of how they've gone from being attentive (and if there's
any time one should be attentive it's when you're paying them $100 + parts
+ labor to get your bike setup to fit you just right) to where they are
now. She suffered with the straight bar, but as she is getting ready for a
half-Ironman in October she wanted a more aerodynamic position. I
suggested she ask the tri shop and they did a great job helping her.
Including giving her basically a free fitting as they found drop bars she
could use with her compact frame.

Things change. It's hard when you have tried to be loyal, but there's
no need to be loyal when they haven't been loyal to good service and
good customers.

Go somewhere else.

I know I should. It's just sad. We've gone there for so long. They've
literally watched as we've gone from our old selves to our new selves. My
wife from a couch potato to a triathlete. Me from a couch potato to a
cycle commuter. Things have been different in the past. I guess if
anything our mistake is we never upgraded to the $5000 bike. Maybe then we
would have been served better. We've always stuck in the low end, because
that's who we are. Regular people who enjoy bikes, but don't have the
money for the expensive ones.

[...]

That's good advice. Those are the kinds of bikes I've been looking at.
Hybrids and mountain bikes, basically. Anything upright. The problem, at
least when considering a mountain bike (which was my first commuter bike,
a mountain bike with slicks, fenders, a rack, etc.) is that all the entry
level mountain bikes come with a cheap front shock. I asked them today if
I could get a regular fork put on the front, a stiff fork instead. They
said I could, as long as I paid for it, etc. I understand, but I guess I
was hoping for a little more help on that option. I've heard of people
haggling prices. I never do that. I've heard of people getting parts
swapped. I've never done that without paying. I asked in this case,
because even if I wanted to pay for the other fork, I'd have no use for a
cheap suspension fork laying around my house. Seems like a waste. But they
don't do deals like that. Maybe it's only on the expensive bikes that they
do that, I don't know.

To make any bike a rain bike, put Koolstop salmon pads on the brakes,
install full fenders and mud flaps, and take 5-10 lbs of pressure out
of the tires.

Sure will. Just need to find the bike, first.

You should have enough info from previous fittings to practically fit
yourself.

Well, that's the tough part. I have the info, but I don't quite trust
myself as much as I trust them. And that's the messiest part of this
potential separation. I want a shop that can help me get it close, at
least. I don't mind fiddling with settings, of course, but I want to know
when I walk out of the bike shop that I'm at least in the ballpark of a
bike that's close to the professionally done ergonomically sound fits I've
had done in the past. And I personally, either through sheer dimness or
whatever, just don't have the capacity to do what they do. So I need their
help to a certain extent. Or someone's, to make sure I don't end up with a
sore back, knees, etc.

Preston
Old September 5th 04, 06:54 AM
Preston Crawford

Old September 5th 04, 07:23 AM
Dan Daniel

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 00:54:06 -0500, Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-05, Dan Daniel wrote:

Go somewhere else.

I know I should. It's just sad. We've gone there for so long. They've
literally watched as we've gone from our old selves to our new selves.

And in a way you've watched them go from their old selves to their new
selves....

My
wife from a couch potato to a triathlete. Me from a couch potato to a
cycle commuter. Things have been different in the past. I guess if
anything our mistake is we never upgraded to the $5000 bike. Maybe then we
would have been served better. We've always stuck in the low end, because
that's who we are. Regular people who enjoy bikes, but don't have the
money for the expensive ones.

Funny... if you have five stores, you are going to have to sell a lot
of mid-range bikes to cover the rent. Not smart to be blowing off
your bread and butter customers.

That's good advice. Those are the kinds of bikes I've been looking at.
Hybrids and mountain bikes, basically. Anything upright. The problem, at
least when considering a mountain bike (which was my first commuter bike,
a mountain bike with slicks, fenders, a rack, etc.) is that all the entry
level mountain bikes come with a cheap front shock.

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/bikes_04_urban.html
http://www.konaworld.com/2k4_bikes.cfm
(the 'asphalt' section)
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=04Sirrus
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/cats/ST.html
http://www.fujibikes.com/road/bike.a...D =26&yr=2004

http://nordicgroup.us/commutebike/
http://www.runmuki.com/commute/commuting3.html

I asked them today if
I could get a regular fork put on the front, a stiff fork instead. They
said I could, as long as I paid for it, etc. I understand, but I guess I
was hoping for a little more help on that option. I've heard of people
haggling prices. I never do that. I've heard of people getting parts
swapped. I've never done that without paying. I asked in this case,
because even if I wanted to pay for the other fork, I'd have no use for a
cheap suspension fork laying around my house. Seems like a waste. But they
don't do deals like that. Maybe it's only on the expensive bikes that they
do that, I don't know.

You definitely need a new bike shop.

Have you talked to the tri shop? They might be able to order you a
bike. Or they might know a good bike general bike shop for you to deal
with. If the old shop can open five stores, there must be a decent
market in your area.

To make any bike a rain bike, put Koolstop salmon pads on the brakes,
install full fenders and mud flaps, and take 5-10 lbs of pressure out
of the tires.

Sure will. Just need to find the bike, first.

As long as it will take fenders, it can be a rain bike.

You should have enough info from previous fittings to practically fit
yourself.

Well, that's the tough part. I have the info, but I don't quite trust
myself as much as I trust them. And that's the messiest part of this
potential separation. I want a shop that can help me get it close, at
least. I don't mind fiddling with settings, of course, but I want to know
when I walk out of the bike shop that I'm at least in the ballpark of a
bike that's close to the professionally done ergonomically sound fits I've
had done in the past. And I personally, either through sheer dimness or
whatever, just don't have the capacity to do what they do. So I need their
help to a certain extent. Or someone's, to make sure I don't end up with a
sore back, knees, etc.

Preston

You need people like you found in the tri shop. Talk to them.
Old September 5th 04, 07:23 AM
Dan Daniel

Old September 5th 04, 08:00 AM
Preston Crawford

On 2004-09-05, Dan Daniel wrote:

Go somewhere else.

I know I should. It's just sad. We've gone there for so long. They've
literally watched as we've gone from our old selves to our new selves.

And in a way you've watched them go from their old selves to their new
selves....

True.

My
wife from a couch potato to a triathlete. Me from a couch potato to a
cycle commuter. Things have been different in the past. I guess if
anything our mistake is we never upgraded to the $5000 bike. Maybe then we
would have been served better. We've always stuck in the low end, because
that's who we are. Regular people who enjoy bikes, but don't have the
money for the expensive ones.

Funny... if you have five stores, you are going to have to sell a lot
of mid-range bikes to cover the rent. Not smart to be blowing off
your bread and butter customers.

I agree. Another story, while I'm thinking about it. I needed a new wheel
because my rear wheel cracked. They didn't have one at their Beaverton,
Or. store. They said they'd have to order it. They wanted to begin the
process of ordering it. I tried to explain to them that I commute on that
bike. That I don't want to bike every day. That I need that bike ASAP and
wasn't there a wheel anywhere in the company's system. "Nope, want us to
order those parts to custom build the wheel?" So I go to another store of
theirs and they have the wheel. A very nice $100+ touring wheel. I take it
back to the other store and leave it with them and they say they'll do the
bike overnight. Great, I'll have the bike by the next work day. I ask if
someone can call me when it's done so I can pick it up for work the next
day. This is on Saturday.

Almost closing time on Sunday. I call them up and ask them if the bike is
done. They tell me it is. I ask why no one called me. They say they don't
do that kind of thing. Weird. So I go pick the bike up, barely getting in
before closing. Once again, nothing major, but not exactly going out of
their way to help. I found the wheel at one of their stores. I drove to
get it. I paid a decent amount for it, plus to have it installed and when
I asked to be told when it was finished no one bothered to call me.

That's good advice. Those are the kinds of bikes I've been looking at.
Hybrids and mountain bikes, basically. Anything upright. The problem, at
least when considering a mountain bike (which was my first commuter bike,
a mountain bike with slicks, fenders, a rack, etc.) is that all the entry
level mountain bikes come with a cheap front shock.

http://www.marinbikes.com/html/bikes_04_urban.html
http://www.konaworld.com/2k4_bikes.cfm
(the 'asphalt' section)
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFamily.jsp?sid=04Sirrus
http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/05/cusa/cats/ST.html
http://www.fujibikes.com/road/bike.a...D =26&yr=2004

http://nordicgroup.us/commutebike/
http://www.runmuki.com/commute/commuting3.html

Oh yeah. I know they're out there. The trick is finding a good shop that
carries one of those bikes. Especially when you've been a single shop
person like I have for the last half-decade. And a Trek guy to boot.
That's the hardest part. These guys are the biggest Trek dealers in
Portland. And I've been pretty loyal to Trek just by default. So in some
ways even though I know there are bikes with rigid forks out there I need
to find a good shop and I need to know also how the bikes stack up. Like
how does a wheel on a Fuji Absolute stack up against the wheel on a Trek
7300fx. I've never heard of Alex A-Class wheels or Tektro brakes or RPM
chainrings. It's that kind of stuff I'm a little ignorant on. I plan on
doing some research to find out tonight and tomorrow.

I asked them today if
I could get a regular fork put on the front, a stiff fork instead. They
said I could, as long as I paid for it, etc. I understand, but I guess I
was hoping for a little more help on that option. I've heard of people
haggling prices. I never do that. I've heard of people getting parts
swapped. I've never done that without paying. I asked in this case,
because even if I wanted to pay for the other fork, I'd have no use for a
cheap suspension fork laying around my house. Seems like a waste. But they
don't do deals like that. Maybe it's only on the expensive bikes that they
do that, I don't know.

You definitely need a new bike shop.

Really? Is that normal to be able to swap out parts? I never knew. I
always assumed that was only done for higher end bikes since the lower end
bikes are mostly commodity bikes anyway. Or maybe it's just my shop. I
don't know.

Have you talked to the tri shop? They might be able to order you a
bike. Or they might know a good bike general bike shop for you to deal
with. If the old shop can open five stores, there must be a decent
market in your area.

I have talked to the tri shop. They really want to put me on a cyclecross
bike, which would probably be perfect. Problem is it starts at $1000 (they
don't carry low end stuff there) so it would be out of the box nicer than
my Trek 1000. And out of my price range for a "rain bike". They're willing
to swap some trade credit for some web programming, but it may take me a
while to earn a $1000 bike and it will be raining by then. :-)

To make any bike a rain bike, put Koolstop salmon pads on the brakes,
install full fenders and mud flaps, and take 5-10 lbs of pressure out
of the tires.

Sure will. Just need to find the bike, first.

As long as it will take fenders, it can be a rain bike.

Oh, of course. I'm just saying, first I have to find a shop and a bike.

[...]

I wish they could help with this. Maybe they can. Maybe they can order
something. I don't know. I'll give them another call.

Preston