Cycling jacket

Old September 10th 04, 01:06 PM
Brad

Default Cycling jacket

Ok, the cold weather will be upon us here in Colorado any time and
I've decided to purchase a better jacket this year. I've been using a
Pearl Zypher (sp?) jacket but it doesn't breath worth a damn.

So, I'm looking for something that will block the wind but is very
breathable. I don't care if its waterproof as I have other gear if it
gets that extreme. For this category of jacket it seems Windtex and
Windstopper are the materials of choice. Are there any others I
should look at?

Two jackets that have caught my eye are

Bergamo winter jacket
http://www.glorycycles.com/behewija.html

And VOLER's
http://www.velowear.com/store/prodin...m=6&mite m=10

A buddy has the Bergamo jacket but it's a bit pricey for my taste.
The Voler is better but still pricey in my book. I like both of these
because they should be breathable, have back pockets, and look more
"jersey like" than nylon jackets.

So, does anyone have anything they would recommend? I realize this is
a long post about a not so interesting topic but thanks for taking the
time to read it .
Old September 10th 04, 02:16 PM
Terry Morse

Brad wrote:

So, I'm looking for something that will block the wind but is very
breathable. I don't care if its waterproof as I have other gear if it
gets that extreme. For this category of jacket it seems Windtex and
Windstopper are the materials of choice. Are there any others I
should look at?

I've tried several, and my favorite by far is the Sugoi Stretch
Viper:

http://tinyurl.com/4ewoa

It's very lightweight, it fits well and doesn't turn into a drag
chute on descents, it stretches, it keeps the wind out, it breathes
very well, and it's pretty decent protection in brief rain showers.
Old September 10th 04, 02:31 PM
Jim Boyer

"Brad" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The best jacket I've ever owned has some kind of windbarrier fabric on the
front, sleeves, and over the shoulders. The entire back, however is moisture
wicking, light-weight polar fleece. This thing never makes you feel like
you're working out in a sauna. It all stays sweat free except for the polar
fleece area where the moisture is evaporated off. I have never found
anything that works like this amazing jacket and now it's very old and worn.
I tried looking up the name of the company but they are apparently out of
business. I'm tempted to send it to some sportswear company to see if they
can make a new line of them.
Good luck in your search....keep us posted...I need a new jacket that works.
jb

Old September 10th 04, 04:32 PM

Brad ? writes:

So, I'm looking for something that will block the wind but is very
breathable. I don't care if its waterproof as I have other gear if
it gets that extreme. For this category of jacket it seems Windtex
and Windstopper are the materials of choice. Are there any others
I should look at?

http://www.glorycycles.com/behewija.html

That depends on what you need and expect from the jacket. For my
purposes, I am more interested in a heavier, non ventilated jacket
having tried ones like the one above and those that Terry suggests.
The reason is that I use it to descend mountain passes where cold wind
(and snow) will make continuing impossible if the face and neck are
exposed. Therefore, my jacket must have a hood that can be cinched
around the face. In the Alps it can snow any day of the year as you
can see from pictures of August snow storm descents on the web.

http://www.paloaltobicycles.com/alps_photos.html

Beyond that the ideal jacket should have a tight fit, something that
most jackets don't have. On descending, at least half the jacket's
heat retention is lost if the jacket flaps in the wind, the classic
flap-flap-flap one hears as riders go by. This causes a dynamic
bucket-line effect of transferring heat from body to outside by forced
convection, albeit an oscillating one. An amazing improvement in
warmth is achieved if the "flap" can be suppressed. Try it!

I have no use for Gore-tex, it and all the vents in bicycle jackets
are not up to the amount of perspiration generated while climbing in
cold air. When possible, I ride with the front of the jacket open as
far as I can get it without letting rain in. I wish jacket designers
would ride bike and experience these effects.

Jobst Brandt

Old September 10th 04, 07:08 PM
Richard Amirault

"Jim Boyer" wrote...
(snip)
The best jacket I've ever owned has some kind of windbarrier fabric on the
front, sleeves, and over the shoulders. The entire back, however is
moisture
wicking, light-weight polar fleece.

Sounds like the jacket (and pants) I have ... got them from either Nashbar
or Performance (I forget which and I'm not home to look at them) some years
ago. Not sure if they carry anything like it currently.

In really cold weather I'll wear a heavy polypro thermal shirt under the
jacket ... and a helmet cover .. and a neoprene neck shield.

Richard in Boston, MA, USA

Old September 11th 04, 12:26 AM
Claire Petersky

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
Brad wrote:

So, I'm looking for something that will block the wind but is very
breathable. I don't care if its waterproof as I have other gear if it
gets that extreme. For this category of jacket it seems Windtex and
Windstopper are the materials of choice. Are there any others I
should look at?

I've tried several, and my favorite by far is the Sugoi Stretch
Viper:

Another vote for Sugoi from me.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old September 11th 04, 05:39 AM
Brad

"Jim Boyer" wrote in message ...

The best jacket I've ever owned has some kind of windbarrier fabric on the
front, sleeves, and over the shoulders. The entire back, however is moisture
wicking, light-weight polar fleece. This thing never makes you feel like
you're working out in a sauna. It all stays sweat free except for the polar
fleece area where the moisture is evaporated off. I have never found
anything that works like this amazing jacket and now it's very old and worn.
I tried looking up the name of the company but they are apparently out of
business. I'm tempted to send it to some sportswear company to see if they
can make a new line of them.
Good luck in your search....keep us posted...I need a new jacket that works.
jb

The Bergamo jacket I linked to above sounds a lot like what you
describe. It has Windtex in the front and sleeves. At $160 it not
cheap though.

I've also found a couple items by Sugio that are in the same class.
They actually make a heavy jersey with windbloc in the front and
sleeves. I'm not sure what the dividing line between a jersey and
jacket is but from Sugio's line it appears to be the pockets in the
back . They make a windbloc jacket but it has front pockets.