Hockey: The EMU is not a water bird

Old July 2nd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
roland

Default Hockey: The EMU is not a water bird

Some of you may have heard about the recent floods in the North of
England which has been causing a fair amount of disruption ar ound the
country and the local unicycling community is no exception the hardy
East Midalands Unicyclists (EMU's) practise outside on an all weather
pitch(a statement turns out to not be completely true) So it was with
heavy hearts that we hear that the pitch had been flooded and was out
of commission - the pictured below was taken about 12hr's after the
maximum level - So practise is off again tomorrow as we've still got
12" of water on the pitch - fingers crossed for next week

Roland

20989

|Filename: Chester-green-flood-001.800x600.jpg |

roland
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 2nd 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Gumba23

thats a beautiful picture. i live in the midlands!

--
Gumba23

i unicycle badly but enjoy it!
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 2nd 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
roland

Gumba23 wrote:
thats a beautiful picture. i live in the midlands!

Trust me its not beautiful if the pitch is under 3 feet of water and
you're about to miss the 2nd week of hockey in a row with limited
chance of it being dry for next week as well but I guess it has
a certain charm

--
roland
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 2nd 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
keg

roland wrote:
Trust me its not beautiful if the pitch is under 3 feet of water and
you're about to miss the 2nd week of hockey in a row with limited
chance of it being dry for next week as well but I guess it has
a certain charm

I can understand why you didn't want to use the fire puck tonight
but balls can float and there is no ice, therefore no excuse for not
playing

Hope it dries out for next week.

Keith

--
keg
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 2nd 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SAVAGE

waverunner hockey time!!!

--
SAVAGE

I ride for Christ, do you?

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 3rd 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nickjb

12" of water, that's only just over your axle. You might want to use
the orange ball rather than a tennis ball, though.

--
nickjb

*Severn Wheelers.* Bristol's best (and only) unicycle hockey club
Wednesdays, 8:30. All welcome
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 3rd 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
steve.colligan

Great photo Roland. I'm assuming you were told you couldn't play,
otherwise I'm sure you'd had a go. Can you imagine what fun Parry would
have had with all that wet stuff? Maybe it's a good thing you weren't
allowed to play in the end.

--
steve.colligan

Once is NEVER enough!
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 3rd 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rob.northcott

nickjb wrote:
12" of water, that's only just over your axle.

On cokers with shortish cranks you wouldn't even get your feet wet...

Rob

--
rob.northcott

'Dartmoor Muni Weekend 2007'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57785) Date now
confirmed as 21st-22nd July. It'll be dry, I promise
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 3rd 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Gumba23

unicycling hokey on a corker! that would be interesting...

Old July 3rd 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
roland

steve.colligan wrote:
Great photo Roland.

Can't take credit for the photo it was taken by one of our other
occasional players Andy H who lives very close to the pitch.

The "Rangers" did indeed say that the pitch was closed however the
whole area rather stinks at the moment, now whether this is due to
simply the water or wether its sewage related who knows - they've
assured us that it will be being jet washed before we use it again so
that'll be a nice spring clean.

Gumba23 wrote:
unicycling hokey on a corker! that would be interesting

We have had "Big Wheel" hockey nights in the past and people have
played on cokers they're kind of like ocean liners and "pass through"
the game at high speed rather than necessarily being integral parts

--
roland
http://www.usenet.com

Unicycle Hockey Exhibition games during Inline Hockey Tournament at major mall. GILD Unicycling 19 September 11th 06 03:03 PM
[OT] Bird flu Zog The Undeniable UK 20 February 22nd 06 03:23 PM
Bird Flu Tony Raven UK 30 October 27th 05 10:01 PM
Ken Bird Tom UK 34 January 31st 05 09:48 AM
Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest? chris General 77 July 27th 04 01:46 AM