? for the marzocchi knowitalls

Old July 9th 03, 02:35 AM
ctg

Default ? for the marzocchi knowitalls

Changing the oil for the first time on a z3 bam. Having a hell of a time
finding 7.5 oil (I'm not mail ordering oil) so I'm going to go with 5 or 10.
I'm about 160 lbs. and am thinking the 5 weight should be ok. Any opinions?

Chris

And no I'm not buying both and mixing.

Old July 9th 03, 03:09 AM
Slacker

Changing the oil for the first time on a z3 bam. Having a hell of a time
finding 7.5 oil (I'm not mail ordering oil) so I'm going to go with 5 or 10.
I'm about 160 lbs. and am thinking the 5 weight should be ok. Any opinions?

Chris

And no I'm not buying both and mixing.

I had the exact same problem. I went with the 10 wt, but now that I'm about your weight (165, was about 188) I'm thinking 5 would
work a little better. Both are good though.
--
Slacker

Old July 9th 03, 05:05 AM
rustyax

50 percent 5, and 50 percent 10

Old July 9th 03, 07:10 AM
Dave W

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:09:38 -0700, "Slacker"
wrote:

Changing the oil for the first time on a z3 bam. Having a hell of a time
finding 7.5 oil (I'm not mail ordering oil) so I'm going to go with 5 or 10.
I'm about 160 lbs. and am thinking the 5 weight should be ok. Any opinions?

Chris

And no I'm not buying both and mixing.

I had the exact same problem. I went with the 10 wt, but now that I'm about your weight (165, was about 188) I'm thinking 5 would
work a little better. Both are good though.

been to your local moto shop?
Old July 9th 03, 08:41 AM
Greg Smith

Chris

Have you tried buying some oil from your local shop? If you build a good
relationship with the staff they may add a 16 oz bottle of the Factory 7.5
wt on there next order.

This is cut and pasted straight out of Marzocchi's Tech manual, and should
address all your questions. Just remember that 5 wt oil will speed up your
rebound, and compression "which could be a good thing".

Lubrication
Marzocchi only recommends the use of high quality, synthetic fork oil to
be used in the Bomber forks. The oil needs to be free of any detergent or
"seal swell' additives and specifically designed for open bath cartridge
systems. Marzocchi's Factory Fork Oil is a full synthetic blend that fights
damping fade due to heat and aeration and exceeds the performance of other
suspension fluids in these applications, especially in regards to 'stiction.
' All Bomber forks use 7.5 weight oil stock.
In addition, Marzocchi recommends lubricating the stanchions with a silicon
spray and greasing the dust seals for peak performance.
When the fork is new, the stanchions may be dry and sticky, especially
on forks using the Cryofit or boltless crown design. Lubricating the
stanchions will help speed up the break-in period and help keep older forks
at their peak performance. Silicon spray can be found at any auto parts
store or possibly a hardware store.
To grease the dust seals on forks using the PowerWrap M Arch, the lower
legs will need to be taken off. Usually the fork can be turned upside-down
and compressed numerous times to drain the oil into the top of the fork.
Then the legs can be pulled off without losing any oil and the seals can be
cleaned and greased. Be careful when putting the lower leg assembly back on
the fork, so that the seal lips are not folded in. For forks using the
bolt-on arch, just pry the dust seals up with a small, flat screwdriver and
apply the grease on the underside of the dust seal. This can be done with
the fork still on the bike, but be careful not to damage the stanchion tubes
when removing dust seals. Use only a silicon or a teflon based grease.
Lithium based greases may damage the rubber material.

Greg

Old July 9th 03, 09:15 AM
David Kunz

ctg wrote:
Changing the oil for the first time on a z3 bam. Having a hell of a time
finding 7.5 oil (I'm not mail ordering oil) so I'm going to go with 5 or 10.
I'm about 160 lbs. and am thinking the 5 weight should be ok. Any opinions?

Chris

And no I'm not buying both and mixing.

Golden Spectro Cartridge Fork Fluid 125/150 is 7.5 wt.
Try your local motorcycle shop.

David

Old July 9th 03, 02:24 PM
John Harlow

when removing dust seals. Use only a silicon or a teflon based grease.
Lithium based greases may damage the rubber material.

Do ya think they mean silicone?

Perhaps a sand based grease will help sell repair parts...

Old July 9th 03, 06:14 PM
Steven Templeton

just use half 10wt and half 5wt - problem solved as long as they are both
synthetic and from same manufacturer

.. .

Old July 9th 03, 07:54 PM
J'm Sm'th

rustyax wrote:

50 percent 5, and 50 percent 10

Sorry, but that doesn't work with oil weights.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes.
....-.-
Old July 9th 03, 10:42 PM
Spider

J'm Sm'th wrote in message ...
rustyax wrote:

50 percent 5, and 50 percent 10

Sorry, but that doesn't work with oil weights.

With weights this close together? Yeah, I'd call it "good enough."

Spider