A friendly bunch of people.

Old April 26th 05, 10:14 PM
Ken

Default A friendly bunch of people.

As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't know, but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last time you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even remember when
that happened to me last.

Ken

--
Remove "-dispose-trash" for email address
My personal webstie: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old April 26th 05, 11:07 PM
gds

Ken wrote:
As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed

that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't

know, but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last

time you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even

remember when
that happened to me last.

Ken

--
Remove "-dispose-trash" for email address
My personal webstie: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/
My blog: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

First, I agree that cyclists are generally a friendly lot.

But I'll add that overall friendliness strikes me as a regional thing.
When I lived in the northeast folks were generally standoffish. Now
living is the southwest folks-as a rule - are quite friendly.

I think sunshine- or the lack of it- makes a difference in one's mood.

Old April 26th 05, 11:11 PM
Claire Petersky

"Ken" wrote in message
As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't know,

but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last time

you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even remember

when
that happened to me last.

All sorts of groups who perceive themselves as oppressed wave or nod to one
another. It's a way of conveying solidarity against The Man.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

See the books I've set free at:

Old April 26th 05, 11:17 PM
Neil Brooks

"Ken" wrote:

As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't know, but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last time you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even remember when
that happened to me last.

You mean with all five fingers??
Old April 27th 05, 12:01 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:14:18 -0400, ,
"Ken" wrote:

As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't know, but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last time you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even remember when
that happened to me last.

Only riding the Dnepr (Soviet motorcycle with a sidecar) did it happen
with any regularity.

Tall bikes get more stares and waves than choppers or bents.
Veloraptors always get waved to and pointed at on any bike.
Veloraptors on tall bikes get swarmed by hotties wanting to breed.

It's dangerous work but somebody has got to do it.
--
zk
Old April 27th 05, 12:08 AM
bbaka

Ken wrote:
As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't know, but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last time you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even remember when
that happened to me last.

Ken

Yesterday I rode about 60-70 miles into the mountains and biked/hiked to
my favorite hiding spot with the waterfall and almost everybody waved or
stopped to chat. Harleys, SUV's, pickups, and hikers. Even people asking
me for directions when I barely knew much beyond the one road I was on.
No other bicyclists but plenty of people in a good mood. The only two
problems were people speeding past and blowing up a dust storm and the
gnats around the farms. Even when I waved to SUV's I got two back for
one, both driver and passenger.
Have some faith.
Bill Baka
Old April 27th 05, 12:35 AM
Mike Kruger

"gds" wrote in message
But I'll add that overall friendliness strikes me as a

regional thing.
When I lived in the northeast folks were generally

standoffish. Now
living is the southwest folks-as a rule - are quite

friendly.

I think sunshine- or the lack of it- makes a difference in

one's mood.

My theory is that it's a population density thing. If you see
only a few people, many of whom you know, it's easy to greet
everyone. In a large city where you might see hundreds of
people before you get to work in the morning, it's too much
work to respond to strangers -- and it definitely gives them
the wrong impression.

The northeast was (and still is) considerably more population
dense than the rest of the U.S.

--
Mike Kruger
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is

Old April 27th 05, 12:15 PM
Ken

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken wrote:
[...]

I think you might be right about the regional thing, I live in the
southeast, FL to more exact, and I found FL to be more friendly than the
northeast, where I grew up.

I think sunshine- or the lack of it- makes a difference in one's mood.

Old April 27th 05, 12:18 PM
Ken

"Neil Brooks" wrote in message
"Ken" wrote:

As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't know,

but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last time

you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even remember

when
that happened to me last.

You mean with all five fingers??

Yeah!! I have waved at some MV'ers with one finger, I try not too but some
times you just have too!
Ken

Old April 27th 05, 12:19 PM
Ken

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:14:18 -0400, ,
"Ken" wrote:

As a whole cyclist are a pretty friendly bunch of people. I noticed that
almost every ride, I pass at least a couple of riders that I don't know,

but
they wave, and then I feel the need to wave back. When was the last time

you
were driving a MV and had a stranger wave at you? I don't even remember

when
that happened to me last.

Only riding the Dnepr (Soviet motorcycle with a sidecar) did it happen
with any regularity.

Tall bikes get more stares and waves than choppers or bents.
Veloraptors always get waved to and pointed at on any bike.
Veloraptors on tall bikes get swarmed by hotties wanting to breed.

Oh I get it now, I am just riding the wrong bike! I knew I was doing
something wrong!!
Ken