chain life

Old May 11th 05, 05:58 PM
1oki

Default chain life

I know there are a multitude of variables but I just broke my chain. First
time ever.

It's the one on my older bike. The bike was bought in 1997 so that would
make the chain 8 years old. I prolly rode an average of ~ 1200 km/year on
that bike, half on-road, half off-road. More in the latter years of course.
Very rough estimates, mind you. As well I have done some rough trails that -
scraped logs, rocks and mounds, chewed up twigs and branches, and such.

I'm wondering how an 8 year lifespan for a chain seems given the usage?

--
'To walk within the lines would make my life so boring
I want to know that I have been to the extreme.'

Old May 11th 05, 06:17 PM
Aurora Ann Fox

"1oki" wrote in message

I know there are a multitude of variables but I just broke my chain.

First
time ever.

It's the one on my older bike. The bike was bought in 1997 so that would
make the chain 8 years old. I prolly rode an average of ~ 1200 km/year on
that bike, half on-road, half off-road. More in the latter years of

course.
Very rough estimates, mind you. As well I have done some rough trails

that -
scraped logs, rocks and mounds, chewed up twigs and branches, and such.

I'm wondering how an 8 year lifespan for a chain seems given the usage?

It's not so much the usage as it is how it was lubed. No lube means all
those metal links and pins rubbing against each other means short life. A
well lubricated and cared for chain will provide many years of riding
satisfaction.

Old May 11th 05, 06:18 PM
Fritz M

1oki wrote:
I'm wondering how an 8 year lifespan for a chain seems given the

usage?

You want to replace chains a lot more often than once or twice a
decade. Google for "chain stretch" for articles on when and why.

I go through a couple of chains each year on each of my bikes. Chains
are way cheaper to replace than the cogs and rings you've worn out on
your bike.

RFM

Old May 11th 05, 06:19 PM
Bill Sornson

1oki wrote:
I know there are a multitude of variables but I just broke my chain.
First time ever.

It's the one on my older bike. The bike was bought in 1997 so that
would make the chain 8 years old. I prolly rode an average of ~ 1200
km/year on that bike, half on-road, half off-road. More in the latter
years of course. Very rough estimates, mind you. As well I have done
some rough trails that - scraped logs, rocks and mounds, chewed up
twigs and branches, and such.

I'm wondering how an 8 year lifespan for a chain seems given the
usage?

You could try returning it for a refund, OR use your ill-gotten "corporate
money" to buy a new one.

Bill "ask a silly question..." S.

Old May 11th 05, 09:02 PM
1oki

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
1oki wrote:
I know there are a multitude of variables but I just broke my chain.
First time ever.

It's the one on my older bike. The bike was bought in 1997 so that
would make the chain 8 years old. I prolly rode an average of ~ 1200
km/year on that bike, half on-road, half off-road. More in the latter
years of course. Very rough estimates, mind you. As well I have done
some rough trails that - scraped logs, rocks and mounds, chewed up
twigs and branches, and such.

I'm wondering how an 8 year lifespan for a chain seems given the
usage?

You could try returning it for a refund,

Ha-ha

If people who should know were to overwhlemingly insist that an 8 year old
chain would only fail due to product defect then maybe I should.

OR use your ill-gotten "corporate
money" to buy a new one.

Haven't cashed it yet. Electronically, physically and morally the money
still resides with the corporation - for now.

--
'Oh lord!
Won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?