Seriously; where should a bikie retire?

Old January 11th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Seriously; where should a bikie retire?

"Pat in TX" wrote in message

I was just about to suggest Central Texas as well. I grew up in
Colorado, and raced there for years. I live in Austin now, and they
cycling here is great.

But what about wind? Here in the Dallas area, the wind is usually 15-25

mph
daily. I get so d@#$%d tired of the constant wind even if the weather is
otherwise nice.

Pat

One of my riding buddies used to live there. He used to remark how you went
10 miles an hour to the ride turn around and 40 on the way back...

Bruce

Old January 11th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
news
On 10 Jan 2006 18:41:00 -0800, "Chalo" wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

I like
what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

Uganda?

Close. Miami.
--

I never found South Florida as uncomfortable as Houston.

Old January 11th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 02:37:36 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:21 -0800, "Jim"
wrote:

Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
trolls...
Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

I recommend either here in eastern Pennsylvania, or Maryland/Delaware. We
do have winter to deal with, but usually it's not too bad. There is a
great selection of rolling hills, picturesque landscape, and quiet,
scenic roads. If you avoid the Philadelphia area, also, prices are quite
reasonable. Riding in Lancaster County is full of surprises: Amish
buggies/farms, gorgeous creeks and valleys, and surprisingly challenging
hills. Here in Lehigh/Northhampton counties, the hills tend to be even
more substantial, but we make up for it with quiet country roads, covered
bridges, and one of the best velodromes in the country.

Someone else already suggested central Texas,

I've lived in central Texas. Yes, winters are milder, but summers are
killer. Riding in 100+ degrees/80%+ humidity is not my idea of fun.

pretty much whatever kind of mix you want, as long as the small-town
attitudes aren't a problem.

Yeah.

If you like it dry, hot in the summer, and
artsy, then Marfa, TX might be a good choice.

Castroville is also a good option in that area. Very picturesque; if you
don't need a way to generate income, it's a great place to live.

Much of northern
California might also fit the bill if you like it damper and cooler,

But that area is outrageously expensive.

Santa Fe, NM is another potentially good choice IMO.

Santa Fe would be nice. Lots of not much once you get out of town,
though.

I like what I've got here
in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be unmitigated hell. (I
grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

I've lived in Houston. I have to know, where in Hell did you grow up,
that the summers were worse than Houston?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Old January 11th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:00:21 -0800, Jim wrote:

Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
trolls...
Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding. Best,
Jim

If you like hills (you said mountain roads), I'd pick right here in
Blacksburg, VA. If you want a sample, come to our Cycling Doubleheader
this spring (www.mountainsofmisery.com).

We do have real winter weather, but it's nice in between. It's rarely
cold or icy for more than a few days.

Nothern CA is great too, if you can afford to live well enough there.

Matt O.

Old January 11th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:

I like
what I've got here in Houston, but my SO considers the summers to be
unmitigated hell. (I grew up where they were worse, and longer.)

Uganda?

Close. Miami.

Ah. That explains it.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

Old January 11th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joshua Mermelstein wrote:

Tucson, Arizona has really beautiful mountain roads,but it's really hot
in the summer.

Lived in Tucson for 15 years! Biking is great, just stay indoors
between 11am and 3pm.

Old January 11th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jim wrote:
Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
trolls...
Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

Detroit, Michigan or Cleveland, Ohio.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley Pedant

Old January 11th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Oh, you might also consider Hawaii... we were in Maui this year, and I
would ride all over that place. Bad traffic in spots, but that doesn't
really bother me.

Except that you'd run out of new roads in a month or so (maybe less), and
it's not as if you can just get in your car and drive a few hours to new
territory. I could easily spend a couple months in Maui, but don't think I'd
want to retire there.

But if I did, wonder how often I'd be riding up Haleakala?
http://www.chainreaction.com/haleakala.htm. Undoubtedly more often than my
wife would want me to. On the other had, if I were retired, maybe she'd want
me someplace else anyway?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 11th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
trolls...
Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
Best,
Jim

One of the most beautiful places I've been to (and, unfortunately, not had a
chance to ride) was the high desert area of Oregon (which actually extends
up into Washington). Doesn't rain very much there, and it's got mountains,
valleys, you name it. Not too crowded yet, but retiring Californians are
beginning to change that. The lack of jobs helps keep costs reasonable
though.

Old January 11th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Wrong forum I know, but the other rec.bicycles forums are now inhabited by
trolls...
Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.
Best,
Jim

One of the most beautiful places I've been to (and, unfortunately, not had a
chance to ride) was the high desert area of Oregon (which actually extends
up into Washington). Doesn't rain very much there, and it's got mountains,
valleys, you name it. Not too crowded yet, but retiring Californians are
beginning to change that. The lack of jobs helps keep costs reasonable
though.

I'm thinking about retiring there myself (well, a long time from now).
I have ridden there a fair amount, and liked it, for the most part.
Living in eastern Oregon, you'd be a short ways from Western Oregon and
the Willamette Valley, which is wonderful cycling territory in late
spring/summer/fall. (That's where I live now). Not too bad outside of
the very depths of winter, either. If I could somehow afford two
houses, I'd like in Western Oregon April through October and Eastern
Oregon November through March - but that's just a not-well considered
pipe dream.

BTW, I notice that most of the posts suggest that the best place is
where they are now, mine included. I suppose that means most of us have
managed to live in areas we like.

Mark (in Salem, OR)

Page to retire after 2005 crit PRO Racing 8 November 22nd 05 04:29 PM
Will Armstrong retire? Manco Racing 35 July 20th 05 12:52 AM
Cipo Out Of Retire - Will Ride Giro 2005 J-Lo's Protologist Racing 3 May 7th 05 10:33 PM
Use your computer to build an income stream and retire quickly! Zog The Undeniable UK 2 March 7th 04 02:18 PM
Should David Millar retire? Callistus Valerius Racing 2 July 25th 03 01:25 AM