Seriously; where should a bikie retire?

Old January 12th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Seriously; where should a bikie retire?

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

The average high temperature in Temecula, CA in July and August is 98
F. See

http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...onthly-graph.h
tml?locid=92592.

There must be some serious differences in microclimates in the area or those
temps weren't taken anywhere near Temecula. My parents live in the avocado
covered hills about 4 miles west of Temecula and it's only been over 100
once in the dozens and dozens of times I've visited them in the summer.

Check this for Fallbrook, CA right next door:

http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...nthly-graph.ht
ml?locid=USCA0366&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

84 average high. Absolutely perfect.

Greg

Old January 12th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mark Hickey wrote:
" wrote:

You might consider the Bay Area. The weather is pretty good . The
motorists are relatively benign. Lots of choices in the East BAy and
North BAy

The best thing about the "Bay Area" is that you can live almost
anywhere in the country and be there...

It's near "The City", you know.

Bill "still lookin' for a rolling eyes emoticon" S.

Old January 12th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jim wrote:

Anyone here know a USA destination with well-paved mountain roads, thin
traffic & pleasant weather? I'm looking to buy a vacation/retirement home
fit for a bikie.
No pricey ski resorts needed, just good road riding.

Too much personal taste involved to make specific recommendations, I'd
say. Especially weather! But here are the general characteristics I'd
look for:

Lots of roads. I'd never want to be in, say, the Montana countryside,
where it's 20 miles or more between roads.

Not too much rural traffic. So avoid a trendy place where housing
developments are popping up on former farm roads.

Stay away from big bodies of water. If you're on a shore, you've got
half the territory to ride compared to someone who's a good way inland.

Look for a place where the geography changes - say, foothills of some
mountains, or where the glaciers stopped (flat north, hilly south).

Get in a small to medium-sized town. Traffic will be less, biking for
utility will be easier.

And make it an "older" town. Older towns have more grid streets,
rather than suburban spaghetti-maze cul-de-sacs. Much nicer for biking
around.

Pick a town within decent driving distance (say, 30 - 45 miles) of a
major city. You won't want to bike _all_ the time, especially as you
get older. Museums, sporting events, theater, music etc. are all
better in big cities.

Consider getting fairly close to a university. They generate lots of
cultural life.

Remember, if you're retired, you can choose to live where the economy
isn't booming, because you (presumably) don't need a job. Benefits are
the cost of living will be lower. Detriments are that good economy
really does help the community afford better roads, culture,
entertainment, etc. So choose carefully.

Having said all that, I can't imagine moving away when I retire. I've
lived here for over 25 years, and I've built up a wonderful network of
friends. I've contributed to the community, I'm involved in several
community organizations. How could I leave?

Of course, I live in a small town, close to a medium-sized city with a
university, not far from three major cities, right where the glaciers
stopped, away from (but not _too_ far from) a major body of water, in
an older area with hundreds of farm roads.

After over 25 years, I still haven't explored all the farm roads.

But I plan to!

- Frank Krygowski

Old January 12th 06, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
You might consider the Bay Area....

Hudson Bay, Canada?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

Old January 12th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Johnny Sunset" wrote:

wrote:
You might consider the Bay Area....

Hudson Bay, Canada?

Naaaaaah, gotta be Tampa Bay.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old January 12th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article ,
"Sorni" wrote:

Bill "still lookin' for a rolling eyes emoticon" S.

Tough one. Maybe this: @@
or this

@@
__

Soon it becomes ascii art.

--
Michael Press
Old January 12th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mark Hickey wrote:
"Johnny Sunset" wrote:

wrote:
You might consider the Bay Area....

Hudson Bay, Canada?

Naaaaaah, gotta be Tampa Bay.

Or Green Bay, Paper Towel Capital of the World.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley (For a bit?)

Old January 12th 06, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:49:38 -0600, Pat Lamb wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:

SW Virginia really is terrific. There are great cycling towns all
through the mountains of VA, NC, TN, and SC. I've heard Lance
Armstrong has a house in Boone, NC. George Hincapie is from
Greenville, SC.

I was thinking somewhere roughly between Greenville, SC and Brevard, NC
might be the ideal. Close enough to the mountains to go ride in the
summer, far enough south that the lowlands should only be snowy or icy
5-10 days a year.

But not SW Virginia. No, too much snow, roads are too windy and narrow,
traffic density keeps going up, coal trucks. Phone service by (my
uncle's name for it) InterMittent Telephone.

(Former resident of Damascus and Wise)

None of that here, although the climate is the same. Country roads around
Blacksburg still offer world class riding. Topography and good planning
will probably keep it that way, despite healthy growth.

No communications problems here either, being a major university town and
high-tech center.

It does get a little warmer as you go south, but the disadvantage of that
is more rain and ice instead of snow.

These days the web makes it easy to keep an eye on the weather in a
particular town. It's worth doing that over the winter for several towns
you may be thinking about.

There have been some other good suggestions about OR and NM.

Matt O.
Old January 12th 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mark Hickey wrote:

The best thing about the "Bay Area" is that you can live almost
anywhere in the country and be there...

If it's capitalized, it's OUR Bay Area and OUR City. All those other
ones are lower case.

A great place to live and ride, maybe not so great to move to in retirement.
Old January 12th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Diablo Scott" wrote in message
Mark Hickey wrote:

The best thing about the "Bay Area" is that you can live almost
anywhere in the country and be there...

If it's capitalized, it's OUR Bay Area and OUR City. All those other ones
are lower case.

A great place to live and ride, maybe not so great to move to in
retirement.

The Bay Area is nice, but too expensive of an area to retire in. The price
of homes here is outrageous as well as the price of gas and general cost of
living (higher than most states). We bought our home in the 80's when then
market was still affordable, so when I retire, I could either rent it, or
get a good price.
-tom

Page to retire after 2005 crit PRO Racing 8 November 22nd 05 04:29 PM
Will Armstrong retire? Manco Racing 35 July 20th 05 12:52 AM
Cipo Out Of Retire - Will Ride Giro 2005 J-Lo's Protologist Racing 3 May 7th 05 10:33 PM
Use your computer to build an income stream and retire quickly! Zog The Undeniable UK 2 March 7th 04 02:18 PM
Should David Millar retire? Callistus Valerius Racing 2 July 25th 03 01:25 AM