Neil Mitchell at it again

Old May 12th 04, 03:00 AM
cfsmtb

Default Neil Mitchell at it again

Did anyone here read Neil Mitchells column in yesterdays Herald Sun
(Page 19, Tuesday 11th May

The article starts off as a criticism of the transport policies of Pete
Bachelor, but swiftly declines into yet another of his rants agains
cyclists, I'll quote the first and last paragraphs

"It isn't too difficult to get a taxi licence these days, so here's a
idea for our bicycle obsessed Minister for Transport: try some real lif
experience, and drive a cab for a month

"Cars are heavily taxed and ridiculously expensive to run. They are als
secure, convient, and here to stay. Let the lentil-eaters put off thei
berets over their helmets and ride to work at the book shop. But
please, govern for the rest as well

Apart from the arguments presented in his column big enough to drive
B-double through, the rest of the article is a badly researched
childish Strawman argument

A couple of contridictions, 3AW and the Herald Sun sponsor/support th
Bike Paths Guide, the Herald Sun Tour and Bicycle Victoria events

I cannot understand the "logic" behind criticising the policies of
state Transport Minister, and potentially promoting aggressio
towards cyclists

Discuss

-

Old May 12th 04, 04:34 AM
Alan Erskine

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
.. .
Did anyone here read Neil Mitchells column in yesterdays Herald Sun?
(Page 19, Tuesday 11th May)

The article starts off as a criticism of the transport policies of Peter
Bachelor, but swiftly declines into yet another of his rants against
cyclists, I'll quote the first and last paragraphs,

"It isn't too difficult to get a taxi licence these days, so here's an
idea for our bicycle obsessed Minister for Transport: try some real life
experience, and drive a cab for a month"

"Cars are heavily taxed and ridiculously expensive to run. They are also
secure, convient, and here to stay. Let the lentil-eaters put off their
berets over their helmets and ride to work at the book shop. But,
please, govern for the rest as well"

Apart from the arguments presented in his column big enough to drive a
B-double through, the rest of the article is a badly researched,
childish Strawman argument.

A couple of contridictions, 3AW and the Herald Sun sponsor/support the
Bike Paths Guide, the Herald Sun Tour and Bicycle Victoria events.

Ahh, but that's the strategy: he says this and it looks like his comments
are independant of the commercial aspects of the station!

Personally, people like Neil Mitchell and Derryn Hinch ("Hinche"? "Hunch"?
"Hynche"?) bug me as all they really do is express their own opinion without
any form of genuine disagreement. "If I don't like what you say, I'll just
disconnect you" type of thing.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old May 12th 04, 05:32 AM
cfsmtb

flyingdutch wrote:
Best to ignore him even tho sadly, badly informed ignorant gits like him
have far too big an audience as it is...

Nah, I like having free speech as long as there's a Right Of Reply

These pompous twits really believe they're above it all, hence Ala
Jones talking s**t after he quaffed a couple of chardies....and Joh
Laws waiting until a convenient time arose to repeat it all

Anyway, a old saying, todays headlines wraps tomorrows fish n' chips

-

Old May 12th 04, 05:32 AM
flyingdutch

I flicked thru this at work and ended up tearing it out and its sittin
on my desk now...

I debated typing back a reply to the Hun (and his listed personal emai
at 3AW) but realised him for what he is. A shock-jock

Besides he looks like he could use the side-effects of getting on a bik
himself. He was the same **** who harumphed when I suggested on radi
that we dont really need to manufacture cars/vehicles that can trave
fater than the speed limit "How am I going to passs that truck on th
highway" was his response. "You mean the truck travelling ON the spee
limit?" i responded He quickly changed the subjec

Old May 12th 04, 12:08 PM
Alan Hutchison

cfsmtb wrote:
[...]

I cannot understand the "logic" behind criticising the policies of a
state Transport Minister, and potentially promoting aggression
towards cyclists?

Discuss.

--

Mitchell is just a professional stirrer. The problem is that
brainless fools who cannot generate an original thought of

Recently he ran a rant session on bike paths and should
cyclists pay registration to fund them. The whole argument
was founded on a misconception because there are no bike
paths, they are all shared paths, so by his own argument,
pedestrians, dog walkers, horse riders etc should all pay
registration too.

I'm sorry I don't have a solution to dealing with he and his
kind, but I wonder when someone will successfully hold one of
them culpable for an act that they have incited.

Alan.
Old May 12th 04, 01:32 PM
gescom

I was a bit upset reading his article as well. Somehow he doesn't see
to realise that for every cyclist or person taking public transport h
sees that is one less car in his way. You can have the best road networ
imaginable, but at the end of the day its only going to get you to nex
bottleneck quicker

He does his best to ostracize cyclists (and vegetarians). I no longe
have the article but remember him refering to helmets as 'silly hats
and even the article title summed up his purpose

For some reason he was even arguing that the cost of imported cars wa
too high. Wtf does that have to do with improving the city's transport
Besides shouldn't he be supporting Australian jobs/the working class h
thinks he is representative of? Maybe he needs another BMW or something

-

Old May 12th 04, 01:56 PM
DRS

"Alan Hutchison" wrote in message

[...]

Mitchell is just a professional stirrer.

True.

[...]

Recently he ran a rant session on bike paths and should
cyclists pay registration to fund them. The whole argument
was founded on a misconception because there are no bike
paths, they are all shared paths,

Not true. Some paths are shared, some are not. You see this all along the
foreshore, sometimes there's one shared path and sometimes there's two
paths, one for pedestriand and one for cyclists/rollerbladers.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 13th 04, 12:59 AM
flyingdutch

Alan Hutchison wrote:
Mitchell is just a professional stirrer. The problem is that brainless
fools who cannot generate an original thought of their own listen to him
and some even act out his fantasies, to the detriment and danger of the
rest of the community.
Recently he ran a rant session on bike paths and should cyclists pay
registration to fund them. The whole argument was founded on a
misconception because there are no bike paths, they are all shared
paths, so by his own argument, pedestrians, dog walkers, horse riders
etc should all pay registration too.
I'm sorry I don't have a solution to dealing with he and his kind, but I
wonder when someone will successfully hold one of them culpable for an
act that they have incited.
Alan.

It is the 'Hun' after all. It aint shakespeare and it sure-as-****e ain
aimed at people with anything resembling intelligence Almost spat out m
weeties the other morning when i heard Mitchell was being muted as th
next Editor-in-chief of 'The Age'!!

As for solving/dealing with NM, how does one apply for a Bus licence??

-

Old May 13th 04, 05:02 AM
coowoowoo

cfsmtb wrote:
[...]

I certainly did read it and also contemplated writing to the Hun. But
am well aware that the lentil/latte reference is only there to incit
folk to respond to the egotistical twit. I am sure that the mor
charges to put pen to paper

Even better is todays response in the Hun from someone in surrey hill
saying that cycle commuting isnt feasable for them and that they driv
as they find purchasing a ticket too hard

Give me a break. Zone one daily or 2 hour mate.. Hello.!!! Its no
rocket science

It frightens me that people like that are behind the wheel when peopl
like me are trying to ride to work safely

I wonder if he was the ignorant jerk who abused me on st kilda rd thi
morning, revving his engine, flipping the bird and swearing at me to ge
over to the other side of the f'ing road

I would gladly, but the two lanes to my immediate left were turnin
lanes at the arts centre and his ute was sitting over the designate
waiting bike box, where cyclists are supposed to be wait safely whe
heading straight

Honestly, it makes me wonder why i bother sometimes. Being a female
must admit that i do find it daunting to challenge men like this as i a
always worried that they may take it to another level and hit me. I a
not having a go at men here either. Its just another added worry that w
women cyclists face sometimes

Lets see who else decides to join the Hun debate in tomorrow's paper.

-

Old May 13th 04, 08:38 AM
flyingdutch

coowoowoo wrote:
Being a female i must admit that i do find it daunting to challenge men
like this as i am always worried that they may take it to another level
and hit me. I am not having a go at men here either. Its just another
added worry that we women cyclists face sometimes.

Dont think youre special, coowoo! We male cyclists get abused too y
know Altho admittedly I'll be more ready for argy-bargy A well phrase
comment inevitably gets a better result th

Summat like... "Compensating for something, perhaps?" (much bette
coming from a woman no doubt too

-

You go...NEIL?!? S o r n i General 6 August 1st 04 09:09 PM
Neil got hit by a car today..... Paul Kelly UK 19 July 22nd 03 11:42 PM