no sweat

Old May 12th 05, 03:08 PM
1oki

Default no sweat

Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.

For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.

How do people sweat it out?

--
'All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy.'
-black sabbath

Old May 12th 05, 03:19 PM
Neil Brooks

"1oki" wrote:

Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.

For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.

How do people sweat it out?

From my hair follicles to my toenails, leaving nothing out in between.

Ok, I just disgusted myself . . . but . . . when active, I *sweat*.
My sweat glands are anything but particular, firing readily,
prodigiously, and with great glee.

(Another reason to love my Ti bike!)

Neil "The Puddler" Brooks

(Sorni: that was a one-off. I don't owe you $ for that one).
Old May 12th 05, 03:55 PM
bbaka

1oki wrote:
Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.

For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.

How do people sweat it out?

--
'All day long I think of things but nothing seems to satisfy.'
-black sabbath

Carry a ton of water and let the sweat run. I have gotten so wet that I
looked like I came out of a pool and that was on separate occasions, a
few mowing a lawn for an old lady in 110+ weather, and some from riding
the bike uphill on same 100+ days. I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
an hour if you are really working hard. Even a sweat band for my eyes
did no good on those occasions. If you venture far carry lots of water
bottles and a camel back or back pack with lots of juice containers in
it. Dehydration is no fun. I think the only places you can't sweat are
the palms and the bottoms of your feet, but I may be wrong on that.
Bill Baka
Old May 12th 05, 04:27 PM
Fritz M

Bill Baka wrote:
I think the only places you can't sweat are
the palms and the bottoms of your feet, but I may be wrong on that.

You might be thinking of dogs -- the *only* place they perspire is
through their feet.

Humans definitely get sweaty palms -- that's why we wear cycling
gloves, so our hands don't slide off the handlebars.

When I'm working hard my entire body can get drenched.

RFM

Old May 12th 05, 04:41 PM
1oki

"bbaka" wrote in message
1oki wrote:

[...]
How do people sweat it out?

Carry a ton of water and let the sweat run.

Oh, I do - actually h2o with a hint of pure undiluted cranberry juice.

I was thinking more about the distribution. My lady friend had the most
even sheen of perspiration, whereas for me it all seemed to come out of my
head and back.

--
'You keep using that word?
I dinna think it means

Old May 12th 05, 05:01 PM
Peter Cole

bbaka wrote:
I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
an hour if you are really working hard.

1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.
Old May 12th 05, 05:11 PM
Neil Brooks

Peter Cole wrote:

bbaka wrote:
I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
an hour if you are really working hard.

1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.

Don't believe it, Peter . . . and don't make me prove it. It's not
pretty.

The CFO where I worked thought he perspired more than I when running.
We weighed in before and after a grueling +/- 1hr hilly trail run. He
had lost 5lbs. I had lost 8 (which I promptly replaced....).

A pint's a pound the world around. 8# is a gallon (if sweat weighs
what water weighs?).
Old May 12th 05, 06:19 PM
Pat Lamb

1oki wrote:
Not the most delicate question but I've been wondering about perspiration.

For me I seem to sweat predominantly from my back and head. I dated a
woman once who was very much more into cycling than I. One thing I noticed
was that she seemed to perspire pretty much evenly over her entire body. Me,
I rarely seem to sweat from the arms & legs and only from the front of the
abdomen when it's really hot or I'm really pushing it.

I suspect you notice that sweat more where it doesn't dry off as fast.
Do you wear a helmet? Do you have hair on your head? Even if not, you
probably notice sweat running down your face into your eyes or mouth
more than you would on your legs. The back is easy to explain, unless
you ride backwards, it just doesn't catch as much air.

Pat
Old May 12th 05, 06:35 PM
bryanska

I sweat in a weird place: my left wrist.

From age 8 to 18, I always wore a plastic digital watch on my left

wrist.

Now, sometimes, that wrist breaks out into a sweat exactly where the
watch would be.

Crazy.

Old May 12th 05, 08:03 PM
Peter Cole

Neil Brooks wrote:
Peter Cole wrote:

bbaka wrote:

I think you can sweat nearly a gallon
an hour if you are really working hard.

1 liter/hr is about normal for hard sweating, 2L is supposedly reached
by some rare individuals, a gallon is fiction.

Don't believe it, Peter . . . and don't make me prove it. It's not
pretty.

The CFO where I worked thought he perspired more than I when running.
We weighed in before and after a grueling +/- 1hr hilly trail run. He
had lost 5lbs. I had lost 8 (which I promptly replaced....).

A pint's a pound the world around. 8# is a gallon (if sweat weighs
what water weighs?).

In a short duration event you might lose 3L/hr, if you were acclimated,
under severe conditions. That's not a sustainable rate, if for no other
reason than you can't resorb at half that rate.

An interesting article:
http://www.unlv.edu/faculty/jyoung/T...uidBalance.pdf

Suggests that 2-3L/hr is maximum.

spinning and sweat [email protected] Racing 1 February 2nd 05 04:22 PM
-- Bike trainer, rollers, sweat net, frame rust protector -- rniak?away with [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 30th 04 01:38 PM
ERs: Oakley Rx, Sweat Band scurry Mountain Biking 8 August 29th 04 04:33 AM
Ammonia sweat colmdonoghue UK 8 August 27th 04 04:35 PM
Sweat control with new helmet? General 5 August 30th 03 03:02 AM