Come back 'real' cyclists

Old April 22nd 20, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

Default Come back 'real' cyclists

Driving my son to work ('s okay he works at a garden centre that has
no access for the public. They do all there business online).
https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk

I can't fail to notice the sheer number of people on bikes, maybe they
feel they NEED to go out and the only way they can do it with a clear
conscience is to 'exercise'.

I am not so bothered that the bikes they are on look like they have
been in a garage for the last ten years or even that they haven't seen
any TLC before they get taken out. But the riders seem to have
absolutely no idea what they are doing, weaving in and out, not being
too steady in a straight line etc.

Does the panel think all these people will keep riding once the
current situation is 'resolved' or will they go back to their cages?
Old April 22nd 20, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 11:01:50 AM UTC+1, soup wrote:

I am not so bothered that the bikes they are on look like they have
been in a garage for the last ten years or even that they haven't seen
any TLC before they get taken out. But the riders seem to have
absolutely no idea what they are doing, weaving in and out, not being
too steady in a straight line etc.

The vast majority of the cyclists that I have seen have appeared to be experienced and competent. A few of the teenage variety have been cycling somewhat erratically though.
Old April 22nd 20, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 22/04/2020 11:01, soup wrote:
Â* Driving my son to work ('s okay he works at a garden centre that has
no access for the public. They do all there business online).
https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk

Â* I can't fail to notice the sheer number of people on bikes, maybe they
feel they NEED to go out and the only way they can do it with a clear
conscience is to 'exercise'.

It is said that the reduction of motor vehicles is giving Yellowstone
rangers more sightings of large animals.

Â* I am not so bothered that the bikes they are on look like they have
been in a garage for the last ten years or even that they haven't seen
any TLC before they get taken out.Â* But the riders seem to have
absolutely no idea what they are doing, weaving in and out, not being
too steady in a straight line etc.

Like all when starting out?

Does the panel think all these people will keep riding once the
current situation is 'resolved' or will they go back to their cages?

A lot of people are not going out. When these people can get back in
their car, they will massively outweigh the newbies and frighten them
away again.
Old April 22nd 20, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

soup wrote:

Driving my son to work ('s okay he works at a garden centre that has
no access for the public. They do all there business online).
https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk

I can't fail to notice the sheer number of people on bikes, maybe they
feel they NEED to go out and the only way they can do it with a clear
conscience is to 'exercise'.

I am not so bothered that the bikes they are on look like they have
been in a garage for the last ten years or even that they haven't seen
any TLC before they get taken out. But the riders seem to have
absolutely no idea what they are doing, weaving in and out, not being
too steady in a straight line etc.

You know what they say about riding a bike - you never forget how.
Sure, it may involve a certain amount of weaving and wobbling but
relearning occurs surprisingly quickly.

Does the panel think all these people will keep riding once the
current situation is 'resolved' or will they go back to their cages?

You know what they say about old habits - they die hard (...sounds
like a Bruce Willis movie). Although, we can but hope that at least a
few will be forever reawakened (or should that be 'woke') to the joys
of cycling.

Old April 22nd 20, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

soup wrote:

Driving my son to work ('s okay he works at a garden centre that has
no access for the public. They do all there business online).
https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk

Hey, that was clever, sneeking in a plug for your son's place of work
- it evaded my radar (not too difficult), at least initially. Nice
comprehesive selection of plants and bulbs, though.

Old April 22nd 20, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 22/04/2020 13:24, Kelly wrote:
soup wrote:

Driving my son to work ('s okay he works at a garden centre that has
no access for the public. They do all there business online).
https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk

Hey, that was clever, sneeking in a plug

I see what you did there
for your son's place of work
- it evaded my radar (not too difficult), at least initially.

Wish I had thought of that could charge Eiledh (the owner) a fee.

Didn't mean that as a plug, was honestly just an extra bit of info.

Old April 22nd 20, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

soup wrote:

Driving my son to work ('s okay he works at a garden centre that has
no access for the public. They do all there business online).
https://www.kevockgarden.co.uk

Hey, that was clever, sneeking in a plug

I see what you did there
for your son's place of work
- it evaded my radar (not too difficult), at least initially.

Wish I had thought of that could charge Eiledh (the owner) a fee.

(I like that Scottish Gaelic name, although I bet the spelling causes
no end of pronunciation problems to those not in the know.)

Didn't mean that as a plug, was honestly just an extra bit of info.

Don't be so sensitive. All the garden centres are closed
completely round here - that extra bit of info is good to have.

Old April 22nd 20, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 22/04/2020 15:12, Kelly wrote:

Don't be so sensitive.

I thought it was clear from the 'charging people etc' that my reply was
meant to be a tad light-hearted

All the garden centres are closed
completely round here

That is maybe why they are so busy, son is always whinging about 100
orders coming in per day . I try telling him that's the sort of thing
that keeps businesses afloat and him in a job (not that he really
understands he is on the spectrum, went to a special school all that).

He calls it his work but really it is a volunteer/training place
initially found for him by Enable Scotland
https://www.enable.org.uk/
still not a plug ;O)
Old April 22nd 20, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

soup wrote:

On 22/04/2020 15:12, Kelly wrote:

Don't be so sensitive.

I thought it was clear from the 'charging people etc' that my reply was
meant to be a tad light-hearted

Yes, and you did make it clear... so I don't really know why I threw
that in (seems I often say stupid things).

All the garden centres are closed
completely round here

That is maybe why they are so busy, son is always whinging about 100
orders coming in per day . I try telling him that's the sort of thing
that keeps businesses afloat and him in a job (not that he really
understands he is on the spectrum, went to a special school all that).

Well, I imagine it has to be more than worthwhile just as long as your
son finds his time rewarding and fulfiling helping out at the
gardening centre.

He calls it his work but really it is a volunteer/training place
initially found for him by Enable Scotland
https://www.enable.org.uk/
still not a plug ;O)

Of course not, and I'm sure nobody minds a helpfully supportive
organisation like Enable Scotland getting plenty of promotional
mentions anyway.

Old April 23rd 20, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pamela

On 16:53 22 Apr 2020, soup said:

On 22/04/2020 15:12, Kelly wrote:

Don't be so sensitive.

I thought it was clear from the 'charging people etc' that my reply was
meant to be a tad light-hearted

All the garden centres are closed
completely round here

That is maybe why they are so busy, son is always whinging about 100
orders coming in per day . I try telling him that's the sort of thing
that keeps businesses afloat

Like a shop assistant who doesn't mind the job if it wasn't for all the
customers demanding attention.