New to group but need saddle advice

Old March 8th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default New to group but need saddle advice

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to decide between a Selle Italia gel flow and a Fizik
Aliante. I ride 20-30 per day 4days a week for fitness. Any
thoughts??

Thanks,
Tim

Old March 8th 06, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

brooks b17. Sim ply the most comfortabl;e

Old March 8th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote in message
oups.com...
brooks b17. Sim ply the most comfortabl;e

Well, that's not true for everyone, or every behind. I love my Brooks, but
I've known people who hate them. I'm equally comfortable on my Brooks, my
Specialized Body Geometry Pro Ti, and my el cheapo Velo. The Brooks is an
excellent choice, though.

Old March 8th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"landotter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nonsense. I suffered on them for years. Never again. They might work
for some butts,

That's the key. I bought a Flite because everyone had it, including all the
pro's. Just didn't work for me. In the end you'll have to trial and error
until you find your's. I have had a Selle San Marco Rolls for the last 12
years (yes, the same one, too)

bjorn

Old March 8th 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bjorn wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nonsense. I suffered on them for years. Never again. They might work
for some butts,

That's the key. I bought a Flite because everyone had it, including all the
pro's. Just didn't work for me. In the end you'll have to trial and error
until you find your's. I have had a Selle San Marco Rolls for the last 12
years (yes, the same one, too)

The Rolls is great as well, as is the classic Turbo. I'm loving the
Flite at the moment, but may very well seek out another Rolls as I find
them wonderful for long rides.

Old March 8th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Richard B wrote:

I love my Honey Brooks B17 Champion.
4K miles 20 to 28 miles a day commuting and never a sore backside.
I replaced a Selle Italia with this saddle and have no regrets.

For a complete discussion on saddles see
http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html

Hint...
To assist in leather saddle break-in, form a aluminum foil shell around
the leather and give it a good soak in oil; I use neatsfoot oil. Give it
a oil rubdown once a month and let it soak in.

Follow that crazy recipe at your peril.

I'm not anti-Brooks, but I believe the lore has overcome the saddle.

I find them comfy from day one to about six months to a year, then the
leather always stretches to the point where they start bugging me.
Re-tensioning with the spanner can mitigate that. Sometimes.

Soaking them in oil, baking them in the oven with crisco, or hitting
them with a ball peen hammer all serve to ruin the saddle.

Brooks may be a bit hard at first, but should still be comfy, if they
aren't, it's the wrong saddle. Break in doesn't take more than a couple
of rides.

So, I don't hate them, and appreciate much of their qualities--but if
you feel the need to wave dead chickens over them while chanting to
make them comfy, then it's the wrong saddle.

Old March 8th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

That's true, to each his own
I've had my fizik arione for almost 1 year now and it is here to stay.
Archie A.

Old March 8th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

usskydiver wrote:
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to decide between a Selle Italia gel flow and a Fizik
Aliante. I ride 20-30 per day 4days a week for fitness. Any
thoughts??

Thanks,
Tim

Asking about saddle comfort is like asking about shoe comfort --
everyone's different. Saddle selection unfortunately is a trial & error
process, as is saddle adjustment.
Old March 8th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Cole wrote:
usskydiver wrote:

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to decide between a Selle Italia gel flow and a Fizik
Aliante. I ride 20-30 per day 4days a week for fitness. Any
thoughts??

Thanks,
Tim

Asking about saddle comfort is like asking about shoe comfort --
everyone's different. Saddle selection unfortunately is a trial & error
process, as is saddle adjustment.

Total agreement.
A good saddle may feel bad due to adjustment on the post, or you might
prefer a different level of hardness, width, etc. Like he said, it is
like shoes, if they are comfortable the brand name is no concern. If you
have a good local bike shop maybe they can work with you and let you try
some before you commit to buying. Personally, I have more than one and I
sometimes change them before a big ride. Soft saddle for rough riding,
hard and narrow for smooth road work. This works for me with 2 seat
posts that change out so I don't have to re-attach, re-adjust each time.
Bill Baka

Old Selle Italia Superleggera saddle E Goforth Techniques 1 February 13th 06 06:18 AM
Opinions please - saddle lifespan psycholist Techniques 23 January 23rd 05 02:52 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Sore saddle...advice wanted Tony W UK 16 August 13th 03 09:27 PM
Group ride questions Ken General 4 July 24th 03 01:05 AM