Pannier rack for mountain bike

Old September 29th 07, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cheeky[_2_]

Default Pannier rack for mountain bike

All,

Have got a Giant XTC 3.5 which doesn't have braze-ons for pannier
racks.

I'm not keen on the seat-post ones as they aren't really strong enough
for my needs (20lb max) so have been looking for alternatives. I've
seen the Old Man Mountain ones that Carradice sell
(http://www.carradice.co.uk/racks-and...rpa-rear.shtml)
but then noticed a somewhat less costly one at Edinburgh Bike
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/29ha5m). However, when I went in and asked
about them the guy in the shop said they weren't suitable for
non-suspension bikes. I'm now v. confused. Can anyone help?

TIA
Old September 29th 07, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns[_2_]

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 10:40 +0100, Cheeky wrote:
All,

Have got a Giant XTC 3.5 which doesn't have braze-ons for pannier
racks.

M-parts seat post clamp with rack mount. to you, 6 quid squire.
Make sure you get the right size.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...20Rack%20Mount

Old September 29th 07, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cheeky[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:02:33 +0100, John Hearns
wrote:

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 10:40 +0100, Cheeky wrote:
All,

Have got a Giant XTC 3.5 which doesn't have braze-ons for pannier
racks.

M-parts seat post clamp with rack mount. to you, 6 quid squire.
Make sure you get the right size.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...20Rack%20Mount

Thanks John. From your suggestion can I assume that I'd be able to use
one of those pannier racks for suspension bikes as seen in Edinburgh
Bike? I presume they attach through the rear wheel skewer...
Old September 29th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Hearns[_2_]

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 19:42 +0100, Cheeky wrote:
Thanks John. From your suggestion can I assume that I'd be able to use
one of those pannier racks for suspension bikes as seen in Edinburgh
Bike? I presume they attach through the rear wheel skewer...

Emmm... dunno.
I use the M-parts clamp on my road bike, as it strangely has tapped
holes for rack and mudguards near the rear axle, but not at the
seatpost.It works just great, as I attached a rack for the London
Freewheel last Friday and carried my boat-anchor Dell laptop on Friday.

Old September 30th 07, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
renum

Cheeky wrote:
but then noticed a somewhat less costly one at Edinburgh Bike
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/29ha5m). However, when I went in and asked
about them the guy in the shop said they weren't suitable for
non-suspension bikes. I'm now v. confused. Can anyone help?

Not true, I have a rigid hybrid with that rack installed fine. The frame
does need to have the mount holes for mudguards by the rear axle though.
Old October 1st 07, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cheeky[_2_]

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 09:05:01 GMT, renum wrote:

Cheeky wrote:
but then noticed a somewhat less costly one at Edinburgh Bike
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/29ha5m). However, when I went in and asked
about them the guy in the shop said they weren't suitable for
non-suspension bikes. I'm now v. confused. Can anyone help?

Not true, I have a rigid hybrid with that rack installed fine. The frame
does need to have the mount holes for mudguards by the rear axle though.

Unfortunately mine doesn't. Am now thinking that this one from Wiggle
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...dID=5360028558)
coupled with the seat-post clamp suggested by John might be the
answer. What do you reckon?
Old October 1st 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
renum

Cheeky wrote:
but then noticed a somewhat less costly one at Edinburgh Bike
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/29ha5m). However, when I went in and asked
about them the guy in the shop said they weren't suitable for
non-suspension bikes. I'm now v. confused. Can anyone help?

Not true, I have a rigid hybrid with that rack installed fine. The frame
does need to have the mount holes for mudguards by the rear axle though.

Unfortunately mine doesn't. Am now thinking that this one from Wiggle
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...dID=5360028558)
coupled with the seat-post clamp suggested by John might be the
answer. What do you reckon?

Not sure, going by the picture on the site, the rack looks like it needs
the mudguard screw holes for installation.
Try emailing wiggle to ask if they have a rack suitable for your frame...
Old October 1st 07, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

renum wrote:
Cheeky wrote:
but then noticed a somewhat less costly one at Edinburgh Bike
(http://preview.tinyurl.com/29ha5m). However, when I went in and
asked about them the guy in the shop said they weren't suitable for
non-suspension bikes. I'm now v. confused. Can anyone help?
Not true, I have a rigid hybrid with that rack installed fine. The
frame does need to have the mount holes for mudguards by the rear
axle though.

Unfortunately mine doesn't. Am now thinking that this one from Wiggle
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...dID=5360028558)
coupled with the seat-post clamp suggested by John might be the
answer. What do you reckon?

Not sure, going by the picture on the site, the rack looks like it
needs the mudguard screw holes for installation.
Try emailing wiggle to ask if they have a rack suitable for your
frame...

Rack from wiggle is clearly using the frame mudguard/rack threaded holes for
its lower fixing.

For most bikes, one can substitute P-Clips to provide a lower mounting
position. Only problem cases would be caused by disk brake mechanisms
(usually need to space rack wider to clear) and frames made from materials
not suited to clamps (I would be thinking very carefully before fitting
clamp to a carbon frame). Those with reasonably well equiped sheds can make
suitable brackets/spacers from scrap material.

If OP is stuck, suggest going to local shop to find solution. If first bike
shop proves to be "box shifting" with no advice, go to another. May have to
pay more for the bits, but at least they would fit.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old October 1st 07, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cheeky[_2_]

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:30:53 +0100, "Nigel Cliffe"
wrote:

Rack from wiggle is clearly using the frame mudguard/rack threaded holes for
its lower fixing.

For most bikes, one can substitute P-Clips to provide a lower mounting
position. Only problem cases would be caused by disk brake mechanisms
(usually need to space rack wider to clear) and frames made from materials
not suited to clamps (I would be thinking very carefully before fitting
clamp to a carbon frame). Those with reasonably well equiped sheds can make
suitable brackets/spacers from scrap material.

If OP is stuck, suggest going to local shop to find solution. If first bike
shop proves to be "box shifting" with no advice, go to another. May have to
pay more for the bits, but at least they would fit.

- Nigel

Thanks all. Time for a few phone calls, I think.