Like it or not, most Americans must go around with the bike on theback of the car to get somewhere

Old July 6th 09, 03:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Like it or not, most Americans must go around with the bike on theback of the car to get somewhere

This is what Diane says...

From: Diane

Yeah, it will be a cold day in Hell before the U.S. adopts
preventative healthcare measures. Went on a nice bike ride today and
then returned home, took a nap, and dreamed all my Portland friends
moved to Albuquerque.

And I said this to her...

Howdy Diane,

Though not as dramatic as your ordeal, let me tell you my own story
over this Independence Holiday...

Friday we picked up a bike and decided to explore FROM THE CAR the
bike lanes provided by the bike coordinators' map --another
bureaucracy that promises a lot of trails out there, but hardly
connected at all.

Well we drove and drove, finding one disappointment after the other
until we started eating junk food while drive around. My girlfriend
commented, "This used to be my 'outing' with the kids." How boring and
stupid, I said. Anyway that's what many Americans do when not glued to
the idiot's box. So after an hour or so we started feeling the stomach
complaining of all that abuse and went out to a real path I knew. Not
a great distance but the indigestion somewhat went away. I guess
that's how most Americans get fat and stupid: DRIVING AROUND IN AN SUV
FOR THE HELL OF IT. (I wasn't driving an SUV.)

Like it or not, most Americans must go around with the bike on the
back of the car to get somewhere and THEN launch the bike in a safe
place. How ironic, the bike should be replacement of the car in most
situations.

The 4th of July though we had a true Independence Day because we
launched on the bikes from home and went to the beach, the bike shop,
a bar, a marina... Not to say we weren't exposed to the usual drivers
that THREATEN, IGNORE AND HARASS YOU, but at least we are alive to
tell the story.

We have a million buck bike path nearby, but it is --like HEALTHCARE--
wasteful and meant to make you fall. Yes, many issues with the access
to it and blinding light at night, and it only covers 1 1/2 miles, but
it's right on the beach.

Some say LIFE'S A BEACH, some say IT'S A BITCH.

Best regards,
Comandante Banana

The 3 C's of successful monkeys... Communicate, Coordinate, Cooperate.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old July 6th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Norman

On Jul 6, 10:39*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

Some say LIFE'S A BEACH, some say IT'S A BITCH.

Like it or not most Americans do not have a penis,
so get with reality: cut yours off and feed it to a penguin.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/US.html
(total population: 0.97 male(s)/female (2009 est.))

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andy-mac/112159480/
Old July 6th 09, 07:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Originally Posted by icedmocha
"Cars are expensive, and bikes are easier and cheaper."

***

Bikes are not easier, but they are well worth the effort.

Being lazy can kill you. And riding a bike too!

Well, you get the point.

Old July 6th 09, 07:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message
Originally Posted by icedmocha
"Cars are expensive, and bikes are easier and cheaper."

***

Bikes are not easier, but they are well worth the effort.

Being lazy can kill you. And riding a bike too!

Well, you get the point.

I believe ComandanteBanana is almost on my level. He knows how to think big
thoughts. And he hates g.d. motor vehicles almost as much as I do. Bravo
ComandanteBanana!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old July 6th 09, 08:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:OfadnQJygdwZ3s_XnZ2dnUVZ_rydnZ2d@prairiewave. com...
I believe ComandanteBanana is almost on my level. He knows how to think
big thoughts. And he hates g.d. motor vehicles almost as much as I do.
Bravo ComandanteBanana!

The MV is one of the great unstoppable forces of our time Ed. People like
Robert Moses, who is almost a god in this area (at least that is what he
thought of himself), practically re-built the New York area to be based
around the car.

The same thing has happened with the Truck. The results are that we have no
good inter-city rail left (with a few exceptions), We have way too many cars
and trucks, We have an economy that depends on people buying more new cars
and trucks, and lastly but (to me) not least, a country that is basically
unsafe for cyclists.

Having said all that, however, not only isn't the tide turning but its
getting stronger in the direction of the MV's.

If you want a world safe for cyclists with more rational distribution
between auto, truck, rail and bike, move to Denmark.

Jeff

Old July 6th 09, 09:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Light rail is the only way to go in every large metro. New York City has the
subway which saves it from total chaos. I remember back in the 40's there
was a pretty good trolley car system in Minneapolis. Alas, the tracks were
all torn out in the 50's and the trolleys were replaced with buses. I think
Europe is light years ahead of us in this regard. Most European cities
actually have a pretty good system of mass transit.

A possible solution to the grid lock which threatens all of our metro areas
is $100 a gallon gasoline. This would cause everyone to abandon their cars
and we could go back to a rational light rail system of getting around. The
present motor vehicle centered system is unsustainable and is going to drive
every one crazy who is not already crazy.

Old July 7th 09, 01:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Jul 6, 2:33*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

Originally Posted by icedmocha
"Cars are expensive, and bikes are easier and cheaper."

***

Bikes are not easier, but they are well worth the effort.

Being lazy can kill you. And riding a bike too!

Well, you get the point.

I believe ComandanteBanana is almost on my level. He knows how to think big
thoughts. And he hates g.d. motor vehicles almost as much as I do. Bravo
ComandanteBanana!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Yeah, I'm almost getting to your level, but you beat me going
downhill, while I beat you uphill.
Old July 7th 09, 01:56 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Jul 6, 3:35*pm, "Jeff Grippe" wrote:
[...]

I'll take the advice, though, this option seems rather cold in the
winter time.

I wanted a tropical paradise and bikes, all at the same time.

(This dialogue with Diane is getting interesting, or at least it seems
so to me...)

Com. Banana,

Wow, sounds very frustrating! I'm not sure where you live as of yet.
In Portland, Oregon and here in ABQ the bike paths are reasonable most
of the time, and some are completely separate from the roads, others
not. On Sunday I rode my bike from home to a path which parallels
Tramway Road, and it was a nice ride, only had to stop and swear at
traffic at intersections, but some peaceful riding between.

Kraut Can is back, $1,200 later and 2 trips to 2 different shops. It's
so expensive, it should be turned into a heavily guarded flower pot.

Hope the rest of your week is smoother, and hope the rest of my week
is less expensive!

***

Yeah, it is Diane. I live in the middle of paradise (Miami Beach) and
yet some predators can turn it into a dangerous jungle in no time. It
happens all the time, but that's the subject for a different answer.

Believe it or not South Beach (who hasn't heard about it, Miami Vice,
right?) is not connected to Hollywood Beach some 15 miles to the
north. It would have been the perfect ride, but there's no bike
facilites other than the ones under construction, and those go to feed
some juicy contracts, not to be of practical use or even safe.

I'm sorry to hear that the "bite" from the lions (I'm pretty sure you
know about the metaphor by now) took so much of your hard earned
money. Bicycling, on the other hand, takes peanuts, which is why it is
often ignored.

Please check this out...

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote88
Old July 7th 09, 02:00 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Jul 6, 4:44*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
[...]

Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota- Hide quoted text -

There are two places where public transportation works, one is NYC and
the other is... Disney World. Yeah, just the other day there was an
accident that brought this monorail to the news.

The rest of the country is pretty much left to the cars, but I say IF
IT WORKS FOR DISNEY, WHY NOT FOR THE REST OF THE COUNTRY?
Old July 7th 09, 02:24 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

This is Diane's original ordeal, kind of commonplace when you must
have a car or be grounded...

"Hi, Yes that makes me sick! Experienced the horrors of the U.S. car
culture yesterday when I biked to the shop to pick up the car (2001 VW
Beetle) for $458 worth of CHECK ENGINE nonsensical repairs. On way
home with bike in car, A/C wasn't operating. Turned car around, back
to shop. Little test by mechanic, nope, it's doing okay! Back on the
rode midway home red emergency light comes on saying STOP NOW ENGINE
OVERHEATED!

Call to AAA with many expletives, though she was real nice. An hour
wait in 100-degree heat, totally livid. AAA tow pulls up driven by
Mexican national. We both discussed the high crime in Albuquerque and
to buy TOYOTA not KRAUT CANS!

So car towed to dealership this time, just for a 2nd opinion. Seems
the water pump gave in, plus it really needs a new timing belt, this
will cost $1,100 - about $300 for extended warranty payment.

Car and bike still in shop, shop gave me a ride home minus the bike
(still in the back of the car).

Am moving next month. After move am seriously considering selling car
and going carless. If I can't bike there, I shouldn't be there!
Fortunately, there is a grocery store and vet (for the kitties) within
walking distance.

Oh and did you see the article in the NY Times today about the young
lawyer who was turned down for the bar by a bunch of creepy judges
because he had too much student debt?

The property management company of current apts. are trying to charge
me last 2 weeks of the lease here. They changed my original lease date
to 2 weeks later last year because they tried to increase rent by $55
with a 2-week notice (not legal), I found another place, the manager
at the time advocated for 2 of us facing the same increase, they cut
the increase in 1/2 and wrote a year lease ending Sept. 1.

I've only had month-to-month in Portland. Albuquerque has all leases
so they can screw over the tenants and steal money from them.

The U.S. is one gigantic *****!

Enjoy the weekend, I will NOT be celebrating the birth of this
nation!"

Diane