Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes?

Old April 18th 16, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes?

the only foundations to your dialogue are 8 speed Deore
Old April 18th 16, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Try Weight Weenies....Deore vs road goes double
Old April 18th 16, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/17/2016 6:42 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 07:10:28 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-04-16 17:20, wrote:
J does not replace chain cassette together ?

Throw the cassette away every time a chain is worn at 1200mi or so? I
wasn't born into the Rockefeller family.

HG50 is good esp in 8 spds

Yeah, but this is 10-speed. Need to know whether those last as long a
HG-62. Or essentially, what is the difference? IF the HG-62 is better
quality steel and last longer it might make sense to spend more. But
only if more miles per Dollar.

I can't say for the actual alloy, or any heat treatment, used, to make
the individual cogs but the thickness of the 9 speed and 10 speed
cassette cogs seems to be essentially the same. The difference seems
to be only the width of the spacers between the actual cogs
themselves.

I would expect no difference in cog wear between a 9 and 10 speed
cassette.

The chain spacer turns on the sprocket tooth so wear between
sprocket and chain is minimal. The wear is almost all within
the chain, that wear being faster with modern interrupted
sideplate chain than with older full roller chain. Once the
rivets are farther apart, the fit to the sprocket teeth is
inexact and so the leading edge of the tooth is shaved away:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WORN.JPG

Jobst elucidated that point elegantly and repeatedly here.

So in fact the smaller wearing surfaces inside a 10 chain do
indeed wear faster than a wider chain, sprocket thickness
notwithstanding.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WORN.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 18th 16, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/16/2016 4:55 PM, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a HG-62 11-36T but
hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T. HG-50 is more available in
11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than one being used
on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes with Deore? I would not
care about weight or whether it shifts a millisecond faster. I do care
about how long it lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even
last 4k miles :-(

The Sea Otter Classic had a booth showing a very nice 11 speed cassette
that you will probably want to switch to.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/11spd-cassette/

You also have to buy one of their hubs and build a new wheel, and go to
an 11 speed wide range derailleur and shifters.

You should be able to do the upgrade for a tad under $1000.
Old April 18th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2016-04-16 17:20, wrote:
[...]

!! engineering think.

the checking accounts leading edge is shaved away

smaller clearance accumulate more n flush less dirt

smaller surfaces bearing more and greater directional changes wear faster

these forces are offset by the chains lower weight.

Old April 18th 16, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 9:42:08 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

I do not know anyone there.
Old April 18th 16, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-16 17:20, wrote:
J does not replace chain cassette together ?

Throw the cassette away every time a chain is worn at 1200mi or so? I
wasn't born into the Rockefeller family.

HG50 is good esp in 8 spds

Yeah, but this is 10-speed. Need to know whether those last as long a
HG-62. Or essentially, what is the difference? IF the HG-62 is better
quality steel and last longer it might make sense to spend more. But
only if more miles per Dollar.

I can't say for the actual alloy, or any heat treatment, used, to make
the individual cogs but the thickness of the 9 speed and 10 speed
cassette cogs seems to be essentially the same. The difference seems
to be only the width of the spacers between the actual cogs
themselves.

I would expect no difference in cog wear between a 9 and 10 speed
cassette.

Just before ordering I found reviews that hinted at differences in the
rigidity of the contruction in the larger cogs. Probably the stability
of the underlying spider. People had managed to bend the cogs when
hammering up an incline. So I finally decided on the only thing I could
get in 11-36T without importing from overseas, a HG81 cassette. That has
a sturdy common spider carrier for the three largest cogs.

The chain spacer turns on the sprocket tooth so wear between sprocket
and chain is minimal. The wear is almost all within the chain, that wear
being faster with modern interrupted sideplate chain than with older
full roller chain. Once the rivets are farther apart, the fit to the
sprocket teeth is inexact and so the leading edge of the tooth is shaved
away:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WORN.JPG

Jobst elucidated that point elegantly and repeatedly here.

So in fact the smaller wearing surfaces inside a 10 chain do indeed wear
faster than a wider chain, sprocket thickness notwithstanding.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/WORN.JPG

When I took out the last chain I was very surprised to find that it had
ground away almost half the metal in the links, where the adjoining link
rotates. The cassette is hopelessly through for the middle cogs, it's
shot, and they don't sell individual cogs to replace those like in the
olden days.

Let's see if an HG81 lasts longer on the trails. I am also going to try
to make a spoke protector screwed to the inner spider to avoid that
dread chain jam when the thing flies off again. Either from hard plastic
or aluminum.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 18th 16, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-18 06:42, sms wrote:
[...]

Yeah, right :-)

40T or 44T would be tempting though. But then I'd probably tear spokes
out of the rim.

Old April 18th 16, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

10 is not your area....8 Deore is your area.

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...91.pn6m9JoQzeo

buy one for the sprockets ....get a Deda from Universal for the CR's.

the situation you continuously carp abt should evolve a mechanism developed for the conditions. That's what we do.

But fersure you are not using dirt guards or a chain clean n lube system.

Chain was cleaned every morning when I commuted.

Reads like your wudbe mechanism could use an in ride wax lube supplier. With a clean chain every ride. 2 chains, one in bath one on ride.

The entire speil reads like a forest trees problem or lack of ID for a critical path.
Old May 5th 16, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Difference HG50 and HG62 MTB cassettes? (Feedback)

On 2016-04-16 16:55, Joerg wrote:
Folks,

The cassette on my MTB is shot, new chain jumps. It's a HG-62 11-36T but
hard to find, most HG-62 are only 11-34T. HG-50 is more available in
11-36T and cheaper.

What's the difference between HG-50 and HG-62, other than one being used
on Alivio systems and the other one on bikes with Deore? I would not
care about weight or whether it shifts a millisecond faster. I do care
about how long it lasts and about cost. The current cassette didn't even
last 4k miles :-(

After some rides with a new HG-81 cassette and a new KMC X.93-10 it
seems that the shifting is not quite as fast as with HG-62. Also
noisier. But this I won't fuss about. Weeds do not shred away through
the inside quickly enough, resulting in the occasional chain skip.
Probably because of the big aluminum spider. Oh well, a brief stop and a
Swiss army knife fixes that.

HG-62 is tough to buy in 36T, only a shop in England had one in stock in
mid-April. 34T on a 29" MTB I didn't want to do, getting older ...

CS-HG50-9 Squat'n Dive Techniques 9 August 22nd 08 03:30 AM
Campy cassettes - any difference? Olebiker Techniques 3 February 11th 06 10:57 AM
170's to 150's = not much difference - 150's to 127's = whoa!...big difference! babyivan Unicycling 11 November 15th 05 07:27 PM
Quality difference between HG50 and HG70 shimano cassettes davy Techniques 5 August 11th 05 08:46 PM
Wanted 9 sp cassettes Bman Marketplace 2 September 22nd 04 01:24 AM