arg..!? I broke my Ti rail adapter

Old January 15th 04, 03:55 AM
jagur

Default arg..!? I broke my Ti rail adapter

so how many of you knew i had a small portion of Titanium on my uni?
well i dont anymore and im very sad..i dont know how i will go on
without this magic metal,this is like Sampson lossing his hair

over a year ago SH sent me this to test,it was working great the whole
time untill just yesterday when grabbing the handle to hop i felt a flex
that wasnt there before,then a popping noise came soon after.

my riding has been very light and i havent even gone on a "big" ride
since the Cali-muni-week-end so i'll will chalk this up as another part
of broken equipment caused from that week-end.if i did the Downiville
ride,im sure it would have broken on the trail,that would have been fun
eh?

(for those scoring at home) the Wilder rail Adapter i broke,broke in the
back.this Ti one broke in the front..

in this attached photo i put a silver dollar in the open gap where the
broken rail was just for refferance

| Attachment filename: p1140003.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/185109|

jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old January 15th 04, 04:01 AM
jagur

this i a shot of the top.

| Attachment filename: p1140005.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/185110|

jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old January 15th 04, 05:08 AM
UNI GUY

weld er up jagur.. would that not work okay?

--
UNI GUY - UNICYCLING OBSESSED
UNI GUY's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4084

Old January 15th 04, 05:22 AM
fluffinator007

I realize this is a pathetic question...But what is it, and whats it
for?

--
fluffinator007 - Expert UPD'ist
fluffinator007's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4757

Old January 15th 04, 05:25 AM
jagur

UNI GUY wrote:
*weld er up jagur.. would that not work okay? *

i dont even know how to weld steel,let alone Titanium.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old January 15th 04, 05:33 AM
john_childs

fluffinator007 wrote:
*I realize this is a pathetic question...But what is it, and whats it
for? *

It's one of 'these'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=663) but it's titanium
rather than steel. The rail adapters allow you to use a regular bicycle
seat post with a unicycle seat.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old January 15th 04, 05:39 AM
U-Turn

Nice going, Jag! I know Steve appreciates the challenges you throw his
way.

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Old January 15th 04, 06:05 AM
nathan

The difficulty with welding Ti is that if there is any O2 around when
the weld is done, it combines with the Ti to form titanium dioxide which
is pretty much like sand. This "sand" is very weak and not what you want
in your welds. So you have to have a special setup that immerses the
weld in an inert gas, typically argon, while welding. Tricky stuff, but
good.

Jagur, don't despair. I have broken so many seat post parts over the
years it isn't funny. It's usually aluminum stuff that breaks on me,
more than half the time on a weld. Your bracket has to be just about one
of a kind which means it's a prototype - they always break!

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old January 15th 04, 06:25 AM
jagur

nathan wrote:
*
Jagur, don't despair. I have broken so many seat post parts over the
years it isn't funny. It's usually aluminum stuff that breaks on me,
more than half the time on a weld. Your bracket has to be just about
one of a kind which means it's a prototype - they always break!*

oh im not in any despair really,i was being sarcastic about not knowing
how to go on without Ti in my life.

a year ago when Steve sent me this thing he also sent a CrMo version as
a back up.So its time to move on to another Proto...im going to mount a
brake to my uni soon and like the Ti one,the CrMo version doesnt have a
lever brake mount.i'll either have to figure out another way to mount it
or get another Wilder rail thing which im sketchy about since i've
broken one of those too.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Old January 15th 04, 12:46 PM
Frank A.

jagur wrote:
*oh im not in any despair really,i was being sarcastic about not
knowing how to go on without Ti in my life.

a year ago when Steve sent me this thing he also sent a CrMo version
as a back up.So its time to move on to another Proto...im going to
mount a brake to my uni soon and like the Ti one,the CrMo version
doesnt have a lever brake mount.i'll either have to figure out another
way to mount it or get another Wilder rail thing which im sketchy
about since i've broken one of those too.
*[/color]

Jagur,
Your old steel Wilder bracket is alive and well.

- Frank

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710