Upgrade to Triple Rear Derailleur

Old February 7th 05, 09:08 PM

Default Upgrade to Triple Rear Derailleur

Hello All,

I want to upgrade my 2000 Veloce rear derailleur to a current triple
rear derailleur (most likely a Centaur). I know there was a change to
the geometry of the rear derailleurs between 2000 and 2001. Would it
be best to also upgrade my Ergopower shifters to current shifters, or
can I use my old shifters? The shifters have a over 6000 miles so I am
thinking to just get the new Centaur derailleur and the new Centaur
shifters. Am I wasting my money on a new set of shifters?

Ryan

Old February 7th 05, 09:31 PM
Sheldon Brown

I want to upgrade my 2000 Veloce rear derailleur to a current triple
rear derailleur (most likely a Centaur). I know there was a change to
the geometry of the rear derailleurs between 2000 and 2001. Would it
be best to also upgrade my Ergopower shifters to current shifters, or
can I use my old shifters? The shifters have a over 6000 miles so I am
thinking to just get the new Centaur derailleur and the new Centaur
shifters. Am I wasting my money on a new set of shifters?

Not only are you wasting money on the shifters, you're quite likely
wasting money on the new derailer.

There is actually no such thing as a "triple" rear derailer, that's
marketing talk. There are long-cage derailers, but you don't
necessarily need one, even with a triple chainring.

If you have good shifting habits and don't use the smallest chainring
with the smaller rear sprockets (you really shouldn't do this anyway)
you can often get along with a short cage derailer.

If you need to buy a derailer anyway, go for the long cage "triple"
version, but if you already have a short cage derailer, try it out
before throwing money away.

If you use a short cage rear derailer and accidentally shift onto one of
the inappropriate combinations, the chain will droop, but this is harmless.

See also:
http://sheldonbrown.com/capacity

Sheldon "Try Before You Buy" Brown
| No state has an inherent right to survive through |
| conscript troops and, in the long run, no state ever has. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old February 7th 05, 09:42 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

If you use a short cage rear derailer and accidentally shift onto one of
the inappropriate combinations, the chain will droop, but this is
harmless.

Or the chain will be pedaled taut as the derailleur shifts into big-big,
possibly snapping the chain or rendering it in a position that is impossible
to shift out of without removing the crank or breaking the chain.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 7th 05, 09:47 PM
Peter

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

If you use a short cage rear derailer and accidentally shift onto one of
the inappropriate combinations, the chain will droop, but this is
harmless.

Or the chain will be pedaled taut as the derailleur shifts into big-big,
possibly snapping the chain or rendering it in a position that is impossible
to shift out of without removing the crank or breaking the chain.

The chain length should always be adjusted so the 'big-big' combination
will work, even if you don't plan to use it. That way the above
scenario will never arise. Note that more expensive parts than the
chain may be the ones that break if this guideline is ignored.

Old February 7th 05, 10:20 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Peter" wrote in message
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

If you use a short cage rear derailer and accidentally shift onto one of
the inappropriate combinations, the chain will droop, but this is
harmless.

Or the chain will be pedaled taut as the derailleur shifts into big-big,
possibly snapping the chain or rendering it in a position that is
impossible to shift out of without removing the crank or breaking the
chain.

The chain length should always be adjusted so the 'big-big' combination
will work, even if you don't plan to use it. That way the above
scenario will never arise. Note that more expensive parts than the
chain may be the ones that break if this guideline is ignored.

Although I agree, many simply don't adhere to this.

Case in point: experienced MTB racer A rides with a short chain to minimize
slap and to enhance shifting. He or she lets barney B ride it, forgetting
to tell him or her that the chain is short. Rider B shifts into a bad
combination... it doesn't go and continues to mash the pedals to "get it to
shift," eventually grinding things to a halt.

It happens more often than you think.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 7th 05, 10:25 PM
Sheldon Brown

I wrote:

If you use a short cage rear derailer and accidentally shift onto one of
the inappropriate combinations, the chain will droop, but this is
harmless.

Phil, Squid-in-Training replied:

Or the chain will be pedaled taut as the derailleur shifts into big-big,
possibly snapping the chain or rendering it in a position that is impossible
to shift out of without removing the crank or breaking the chain.

No that can't happen unless the chain is too short.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

Sheldon "Not A Problem" Brown
| Man does not live by words alone, |
| despite the fact that sometimes he has to eat them. |
| --Adlai Stevenson |

Old February 7th 05, 10:38 PM
Peter

"Peter" wrote in message

[...]

You have no idea how often I think this happens.
Doesn't change the fact that rider A was being stupid in making the
chain too short for his geartrain. I've actually never seen the
chain break in this situation, but I have seen derailers (SB spelling)
torn apart and a dropout twisted.