Crank removal driving me round the bend!!!!!

Old October 6th 03, 12:00 PM
dave1975

Default Crank removal driving me round the bend!!!!!

Help!!!!! Can any one give me tips on removing a crank from my MTB. the
problem i've got is that, my old school MTb seems to have an
unconventional setup. The first thing i did was remove the plastic cover
on the crank which reveals what looks like a nut/bolt, after looking
through a how to manual for MTB's, it mentions that if i unscrew the
nut, i should find that a whole bolt should unscrew from the
crank......BUT it doesn't, the nut comes off cleanliy but leaves a
threaded bolt in place. I haven't damaged the bolt or the nut as as both
look fine and look like two seperate bits. I'm kind of thinking that i
probabley need a tool for the job, but has anyone got a clue as to what
this setup is called, and what tool i'd need to rectify!!!!!! Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Cheers

Old October 6th 03, 12:49 PM
WBtobal

In article , dave1975
writes:

Help!!!!! Can any one give me tips on removing a crank from my MTB. the
problem i've got is that, my old school MTb seems to have an
unconventional setup. The first thing i did was remove the plastic cover
on the crank which reveals what looks like a nut/bolt, after looking
through a how to manual for MTB's, it mentions that if i unscrew the
nut, i should find that a whole bolt should unscrew from the
crank......BUT it doesn't, the nut comes off cleanliy but leaves a
threaded bolt in place. I haven't damaged the bolt or the nut as as both
look fine and look like two seperate bits. I'm kind of thinking that i
probabley need a tool for the job, but has anyone got a clue as to what
this setup is called, and what tool i'd need to rectify!!!!!! Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

You need a "crank puller"...available at any LBS for around $15.00.

There are 3 types of bottom bracket spindles (that part onto which
crankarms are mounted)....square spindle with threaded stud, square
spindle that uses a bolt, and splined pipe billet. Get a crank puller that is
designed for use with square spindles...screw in the portion that
threads into the crank arm, turn the handle clockwise and it will
"pull" the crank arm off.

Regards,
Bill

Old October 6th 03, 04:32 PM
John Everett

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrCarm.shtml

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old October 7th 03, 04:23 AM
Terry Rudd

John,

I am familiar with the kind of bottom bracket you are talking about. My
guess is that you have also tried the other side and found a similar
situation. What I am going to tell you worked for me, when I was
helping a friend with this but it is neither easy nor entirely fool
proof, (though presumably after your frustration you will pitch this
bottom bracket and get an inexpensive aftermarket Shimano with proper
crank bolts ;-) Besides, these bottom brackets in their best days were
heavy sloppy junk.

Loosen the nut all the way flush with the top of the threaded stud
(hopefully your puller allows that nut to stay in place when you secure
it into the crank arm- some of those nuts have an integrated washer and
that won't work). Leaving the nut on isn't necessarily required but you
will likely deform the stud threads when you drive the remover on top of
the stud, which you obviously thought about in your post. With the nut
there, it helps preserve the stud integrity. Pull the arm loose. You
can then remove the puller, the nut and washer and the arm should simply
lift off. If your nut is too large for the puller to go around,
perhaps you can find a smaller nut or non-integrated nut/washer, with
the same threads at ACE Hardware or similar.

Hope this helps!