Petrol station a "hub of the community"

Old May 13th 05, 06:56 PM
Not Responding

Default Petrol station a "hub of the community"

My local paper is reporting the community "outrage" at the closure of a
petrol station. I find it more than a little bit sad that a petrol
station has become "the hub of the community". Some selected quotes, below.

"More than 1,000 people have signed a petition against the decision to
shut down the Star Swanwick garage and shop in Bridge Road because they
say it is the "hub of the community"."

"Residents say they will have to walk more than a mile to the next
garage at Tesco in Bursledon to pick up their papers or a pint of milk
because the popular garage runs the only shop close to their homes."

Well it's a shame that all the local shops have closed down but then I
rather suspect it's not totally unrelated to all the locals choosing to
drive 10 miles to the supermarkets. Besides, a mile is hardly a
crippling distance for most people.

"While 29-year-old Darren Rodgers, who works nearby, said: "It shouldn't
be allowed."
Old May 13th 05, 07:00 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:56:49 +0100, Not Responding
wrote in message
k:

My local paper is reporting the community "outrage" at the closure of a
petrol station. I find it more than a little bit sad that a petrol
station has become "the hub of the community"

Depends. In some villages the petrol station might also be the shop,
sub post office, car workshop etc.

But I suspect hyperbole. And mainly from people who get 95%+ of their
petrol from the supermarket...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old May 13th 05, 07:03 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Not Responding wrote:

My local paper is reporting the community "outrage" at the closure of a
petrol station. I find it more than a little bit sad that a petrol
station has become "the hub of the community". Some selected quotes, below.

There are amazingly few petrol stations these days. I reckon 60% have
closed in Swindon.
Old May 13th 05, 08:44 PM
vernon levy

"Not Responding" wrote in message
. co.uk...
My local paper is reporting the community "outrage" at the closure of a
petrol station. I find it more than a little bit sad that a petrol
station has become "the hub of the community". Some selected quotes,

below.

It's far from sad that a petrol station can be the hub of a community. The
diversification from pure petrol retailing has been a godsend for many
communities that can no longer support a dedicated grocer, post office,
butcher and bakery. I passed through many hamlets on my way to Leeds from
land's End where local garages/food emporiums/community centre's were a god
send when I wanted to purchses goodies/refill my water bottles and seek
advice on local campsites etc. I think that the protests are justified. I'd
not enjoy a two mile round trip in pouring rain to make a purchase if I was
infirm or pushing a pushchair with a child in it. There a quite a few
members of small communities who, for one reason or another, do not have
access to transport facilities public or otherwise try telling them that
it's sad that a petrol station is the hub of the community and see what
reaction you get.

Old May 13th 05, 08:59 PM
Alan Braggins

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:56:49 +0100, Not Responding

My local paper is reporting the community "outrage" at the closure of a
petrol station. I find it more than a little bit sad that a petrol
station has become "the hub of the community"

Depends. In some villages the petrol station might also be the shop,
sub post office, car workshop etc.

One Cambridge petrol station produced figures showing it was more a shop
than a petrol station, in support of its application for a license to
sell alcohol. I don't think it would claim to be "the hub of the community",
but I doubt it's the only one where the shop is significant.
Old May 13th 05, 09:22 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 19:03:15 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote in message 4284eb0c.0@entanet:

There are amazingly few petrol stations these days. I reckon 60% have
closed in Swindon.

Did they move to Swindon and then close, or do they just go there on
the day?

Guy

Old May 13th 05, 10:11 PM

Not Responding wrote:
"More than 1,000 people have signed a petition against the decision

shut down the Star Swanwick garage and shop in Bridge Road because

they
say it is the "hub of the community"."

If the 1000 people had all regularly spent 10 pounds a week on non
petrol items at the shop it might not be closing.
Iain

Old May 13th 05, 10:15 PM
Tony Raven

Not Responding wrote:

"Residents say they will have to walk more than a mile to the next
garage at Tesco in Bursledon .........

....... it's not totally unrelated to all the locals choosing to
drive 10 miles to the supermarkets.

Why would they drive ten miles to a supermarket when there's a Tescos
one mile away?

--
Tony

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old May 13th 05, 11:01 PM
Al C-F

On Fri, 13 May 2005 22:15:35 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

Not Responding wrote:

"Residents say they will have to walk more than a mile to the next
garage at Tesco in Bursledon .........

....... it's not totally unrelated to all the locals choosing to
drive 10 miles to the supermarkets.

Why would they drive ten miles to a supermarket when there's a Tescos
one mile away?

Becaude there's a Sainsbury's 9 miles further away?
Old May 13th 05, 11:02 PM
Trevor Barton

Not Responding wrote:
"Residents say they will have to walk more than a mile to the next
garage at Tesco in Bursledon to pick up their papers or a pint of milk
because the popular garage runs the only shop close to their homes."

I bet they won't be *walking* the mile to the petrol station.

--
Trevor Barton