Hit gravel, broke leg

Old June 9th 05, 09:11 AM
Buck

On 06/08/2005 23:19:25 "Edward Dolan" wrote:

You were just experiencing the phenomenon known as pedal steer which is
common to all tadpole trikes, some worse than others, but they all have
it. I repeat, do not listen to these UK nuts that tell you that it does
not exist or that it can be overcome by a skillful riding technique
(smoother cadence, less steering input, etc.). Instead, listen to me, the
oracle of ARBR. It is OK to get a trike, just don't ever ride it fast.
Keep your speed down to 15 to 20 mph tops and you should be fine.

Still riding your Ket Weasel? Nothing like one wheel drive with two rear wheels.

--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old June 9th 05, 09:16 AM
Buck

On 06/09/2005 02:12:03 " wrote:

the only trike i ever rode at 70 mph was a converted harley davidson, and
i didn't like the way IT handled.

I don't like the way 2 wheel Harleys handle, who does?

Old June 9th 05, 10:17 AM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Actually, right and wrong are extremely useful concepts. Some would have
you believe that it is all in the rider when it comes to handling. If you
listen to nuts like them, you will go terribly astray and end up lost like
a lamb in the wilderness.

Right and wrong have thier uses but not in a discussion about experiences.
You may believe that these people you refer to as nuts really are but you
don't get them to listen to your opinion by calling them nuts.

You and I agree about the trike speed issue and yet I find myself wanting to
have nothing to do with you. Its a free newsgroup and you should feel free
to post the way you want to post but if you aim is to influence then it
isn't working.

Just say what you have to say without name calling and being judgemental and
people will at least listen even if they don't agree.

Crawling up a hill at 2 mph is not much fun though, is it?

A big emphatic "YES IT IS!". Back in the days when I was riding two-wheeled
recumbents there were hills that I just couldn't keep my speed up enough to
ride up. We won't even talk about what happened if I stopped in the middle
to rest. There was one nasty hill in CT where I fell off the bike 5 times
before I finally realized I had to walk it up.

When I got my first trike I took it to the nastiest hill I could find. I
popped it into my lowest gear and crawled up. I even stopped a few times to
rest. The feeling of satisfaction I had when I made it up was delightful.

Just call me the crawler. It beats the hell out of walking.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Let others decide if you are great. If the decision comes from you then
everyone will know it is a biased decision. You may infact be great, I don't
know, but let others decide.

Old June 9th 05, 10:24 AM
Buck

On 06/09/2005 10:17:54 "Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote:

[...]

Jeff, it is the Dolan way, he has no life to speak of so he comes on here
and trolls.

Crawling up a hill at 2 mph is not much fun though, is it?

A big emphatic "YES IT IS!". Back in the days when I was riding
two-wheeled recumbents there were hills that I just couldn't keep my speed
up enough to ride up. We won't even talk about what happened if I stopped
in the middle to rest. There was one nasty hill in CT where I fell off
the bike 5 times before I finally realized I had to walk it up.

When I got my first trike I took it to the nastiest hill I could find. I
popped it into my lowest gear and crawled up. I even stopped a few times
to rest. The feeling of satisfaction I had when I made it up was
delightful.

Just call me the crawler. It beats the hell out of walking.

One of the greatest things about trikes, other than the Kett Weisel which,
with one wheel drive in delta configuration, and lwb suffers wheel hop on
steep slow hills.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Let others decide if you are great. If the decision comes from you then
everyone will know it is a biased decision. You may infact be great, I
don't know, but let others decide.

We decided he wasn't a long time ago.

Old June 9th 05, 02:07 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Buck" wrote in message

Jeff, it is the Dolan way, he has no life to speak of so he comes on here
and trolls.

Maybe so but don't stoop to that level yourself. It is exactly because of
the insulting posts that I stopped wishing I didn't actually agree with him.
Just tell me your opinion/experience (about trikes not Dolan).

One of the greatest things about trikes, other than the Kett Weisel which,
with one wheel drive in delta configuration, and lwb suffers wheel hop on
steep slow hills.

I had a Sun EZ-3AL. It was my first trike. There were a number of things I
didn't like about it. This thing, like many deltas, had two rear wheels but
only one was driven by the transmission. It was constantly pulling to one
side. I hated it. I also didn't like having the widest part of the trike
behind me. It was something I hadn't even considered when I bought it.

On the other hand it was easy to get into and out of. It was basically fun
to ride. The long wheelbase smoothed out the ride considerably.

On the third hand, Sun Bicycles did not deal honorably with me or my bike
shop. I ordered an EZ-3 AX from my bike shop. The shop ordered an EX-3 AX
from Sun. Sun shipped them an EZ-3 AL (a 2003 model) without telling them.
Ultimately there was a $150 credit given but the whole thing left a bad
taste in my mouth.

On the forth hand it was a very reasonable trike for the money.

Jeff

Old June 9th 05, 02:14 PM
Buck

On 06/09/2005 14:07:09 "Jeff Grippe" wrote:

"Buck" wrote in message

Jeff, it is the Dolan way, he has no life to speak of so he comes on here
and trolls.

Maybe so but don't stoop to that level yourself. It is exactly because of
the insulting posts that I stopped wishing I didn't actually agree with
him. Just tell me your opinion/experience (about trikes not Dolan).

Dolan is one of the reasons I have not visited this group for about a year,
between him and another poster the group had fallen into foolishness.

[...]

I am not really familiar with the Sun, if I recall it is quite upright and
fairly heavy, never seen one, I do not think there are any in the U.K.

Old June 9th 05, 04:56 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Buck" wrote in message

Dolan is one of the reasons I have not visited this group for about a
year,
between him and another poster the group had fallen into foolishness.

Well I'll always talk to you without being insulting even if I don't agree
with what you are saying.

I am not really familiar with the Sun, if I recall it is quite upright and
fairly heavy, never seen one, I do not think there are any in the U.K.

Even the aluminum ones are heavy. The AL/AX weight 50 pounds.

Old June 9th 05, 11:34 PM
Mark Leuck

"Buck" wrote in message

On 06/09/2005 02:12:03 "

wrote:

the only trike i ever rode at 70 mph was a converted harley davidson,

and
i didn't like the way IT handled.

I don't like the way 2 wheel Harleys handle, who does?

--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

You don't buy a Harley for performance and handling, it's all about image

(no I don't own one nor do I ever want to own one)

Old June 10th 05, 04:07 AM
Edward Dolan

"Buck" wrote in message

On 06/08/2005 23:19:25 "Edward Dolan" wrote:

You were just experiencing the phenomenon known as pedal steer which is
common to all tadpole trikes, some worse than others, but they all have
it. I repeat, do not listen to these UK nuts that tell you that it does
not exist or that it can be overcome by a skillful riding technique
(smoother cadence, less steering input, etc.). Instead, listen to me,
the
oracle of ARBR. It is OK to get a trike, just don't ever ride it fast.
Keep your speed down to 15 to 20 mph tops and you should be fine.

Still riding your Ket Weasel? Nothing like one wheel drive with two rear
wheels.

--
Buck

Anyone who thinks it is OK to have two front wheels which then have to be
steered has surely got everything backwards. You are the type who probably
thinks front wheel drive and rear wheel steer is OK too.

One wheel drive is perfectly adequate for the kind of cycling that 99% of us
will do, whether there is only a single rear wheel or two rear wheels.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 10th 05, 05:45 AM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" jeff@door7 wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Actually, right and wrong are extremely useful concepts. Some would have
you believe that it is all in the rider when it comes to handling. If you
listen to nuts like them, you will go terribly astray and end up lost
like a lamb in the wilderness.

Right and wrong have thier uses but not in a discussion about experiences.
You may believe that these people you refer to as nuts really are but you
don't get them to listen to your opinion by calling them nuts.

It doesn't matter to me in the least whether anyone listens to me or not.
What matters is are they able to convince me of anything. So far - No!

You and I agree about the trike speed issue and yet I find myself wanting
to have nothing to do with you. Its a free newsgroup and you should feel
free to post the way you want to post but if you aim is to influence then
it isn't working.

Most on this newsgroup you have to hit over the head with a 2 by 4 just to
get their attention. Recumbent cyclists are all old men and fixed in their
views. So what else is new?

Just say what you have to say without name calling and being judgemental
and people will at least listen even if they don't agree.

Crawling up a hill at 2 mph is not much fun though, is it?

A big emphatic "YES IT IS!". Back in the days when I was riding
two-wheeled recumbents there were hills that I just couldn't keep my speed
up enough to ride up. We won't even talk about what happened if I stopped
in the middle to rest. There was one nasty hill in CT where I fell off the
bike 5 times before I finally realized I had to walk it up.

I have walked up many a hill and think nothing of it. Those who have some
hang up about walking up hills are mentally challenged. It is often very
pleasant to get off the bike and do a bit of walking.

When I got my first trike I took it to the nastiest hill I could find. I
popped it into my lowest gear and crawled up. I even stopped a few times
to rest. The feeling of satisfaction I had when I made it up was
delightful.

Better to get off the damn bike and walk up the hill. Jeez, I knew this much
when I was 10 years old.

Just call me the crawler. It beats the hell out of walking.

Cycling sure does beat the hell out of walking which is why I do as much of
it as I do. But there are times when it just makes more sense to walk. I
have often walked my bike up hills that were too steep to ride and I
sometimes walk my bike across intersections when the traffic is very bad.
Unlike you, I do not have any hang ups about walking my bike.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Let others decide if you are great. If the decision comes from you then
everyone will know it is a biased decision. You may infact be great, I
don't know, but let others decide.

I have learned the hard way that most here on ARBR are numskulls and
dunderheads and I am not about to let them decided anything about me. No, I
will tell them what to think and they can either like it or lump it.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota