Hit gravel, broke leg

Old June 10th 05, 06:00 AM
Edward Dolan

"Buck" wrote in message

On 06/09/2005 14:07:09 "Jeff Grippe" wrote:

"Buck" wrote in message

Jeff, it is the Dolan way, he has no life to speak of so he comes on
here
and trolls.

Maybe so but don't stoop to that level yourself. It is exactly because
of
the insulting posts that I stopped wishing I didn't actually agree with
him. Just tell me your opinion/experience (about trikes not Dolan).

Dolan is one of the reasons I have not visited this group for about a
year,
between him and another poster the group had fallen into foolishness.

Yet Buck can come onto this group and voice his opinions about tadpoles and
Catrikes and nary a word is said in opposition. The trouble with Buck and
all his ilk is that they cannot take disagreement.

I do not much like tadpoles and I rather do like deltas. That is the essence
of our disagreement. Everything else is smoke and mirrors. I have told you
why I do not like tadpoles (too much pedal steer) and why I like deltas
(only one wheel up front that needs to be steered). What could be more fair
than that? The only one getting personal here is Buck.

The fact that Buck can even compare me with that other troll shows what a
poltroon he is. The other troll was a criminal vandal whereas I am the most
friendly law abiding troll in the entire universe.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 10th 05, 06:26 AM
Edward Dolan

"Buck" wrote in message
[...]
One of the greatest things about trikes, other than the Kett Weisel which,
with one wheel drive in delta configuration, and lwb suffers wheel hop on
steep slow hills.

The above is not a complete sentence. Best to slow down when you know Ed
Dolan the Great is reading you.

There are also a few other disadvantages of one wheel rear drive, but the
best thing that can be said about a delta is that they handle like a
bicycle, not like a cart vehicle. The steering is on one wheel up front
thereby keeping the entire design simple and logical. I can't think of a
single advantage to having two wheels up front, other than making for a
shorter trike for transportation purposes. But that is all that any SWB has
going for it - they are easier to transport.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 10th 05, 07:00 AM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message
[...]
I had a Sun EZ-3AL. It was my first trike. There were a number of things I
didn't like about it. This thing, like many deltas, had two rear wheels
but only one was driven by the transmission. It was constantly pulling to
one side. I hated it. I also didn't like having the widest part of the
trike behind me. It was something I hadn't even considered when I bought
it.

Jeff, I have never heard that before about the trike pulling to one side
because of the drive being on only one side. Very mysterious!

The two wheels being behind you should not be a problem as that is where
they should be. Trikes are really not that much wider than bikes and it
should quickly become second nature just how much space is required for
clearing obstacles.

On the other hand it was easy to get into and out of. It was basically fun
to ride. The long wheelbase smoothed out the ride considerably.

LWB is the secret to ALL recumbents, whether trikes or bikes.

On the third hand, Sun Bicycles did not deal honorably with me or my bike
shop. I ordered an EZ-3 AX from my bike shop. The shop ordered an EX-3 AX
from Sun. Sun shipped them an EZ-3 AL (a 2003 model) without telling them.
Ultimately there was a $150 credit given but the whole thing left a bad
taste in my mouth.

On the forth hand it was a very reasonable trike for the money.

The main complaint I have heard about the EZ-3 line of trikes is that they
are heavy, but this is not as bad as it may at first seem. Really light
trikes can be a problem. The lighter they are the more the chance of pedal
steer. A heavier trike will prevent this and give you a more solid ride. I
have the Kett Wiesel which is pretty light and I also have the Coos Bay
Flyer which is heavy. I do notice ever so slightly a bit of pedal steer on
the former and none whatsoever on the latter. The Coos Bay Flyer goes like
it is on rails. I attribute this not only to it's very long length, but also
to it's being rather heavy (50 lb.).

The Coos Bay Flyer was designed by Don Harse of Oregon and Bart Hiatt of
Cleveland.These guys were the experts on deltas and kew what they were
doing. Some of you who think tadpoles are where it is at should do some
research and maybe learn a thing or two. The Coos Bay Flyer later evolved
into the Comfort Cycle and is still around today as the Penninger Traveler I
believe.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 10th 05, 08:29 AM
Edward Dolan

"Buck" wrote in message

Jeff, it is the Dolan way, he has no life to speak of so he comes on here
and trolls.

I can't figure out why anyone should say I do not have a life. Posting here
to ARBR is a fun thing to do. That is the one and only reason I do it. Why
does Buck post here I wonder?

Maybe so but don't stoop to that level yourself. It is exactly because of
the insulting posts that I stopped wishing I didn't actually agree with
him. Just tell me your opinion/experience (about trikes not Dolan).

I only stoop in order to get on the same level as my correspondents such as
Buck. If I didn't stoop, it would go right over his head.

UK cyclists are in a class by themselves. They are pigheaded and cannot
brook disagreement. They are the first to become unpleasant and then cry
like babies when you become unpleasant back at them. The only groups worse
than the UK are the Canadians and the Australians The latter is especially
the pits. They are into nothing but obscenities and when you are obscene
back at them they take a holier than thou attitude and cry foul, i.e., if
they are not otherwise acting like criminals.

Newsgroups are full of idiots and scoundrels. ARBR is no exception, but not
as bad as some others. I attribute this to our being an older age group.
Many on this group are ready for the grave. And thank God we do not have any
stupid women cluttering up this group like some others. We are fortunate
indeed!

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

PS. And some accuse me of being a troll!

Old June 10th 05, 02:14 PM
Jeff Grippe

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Jeff, I have never heard that before about the trike pulling to one side
because of the drive being on only one side. Very mysterious!

The pulling to one side was so pronounced that after riding it home from the
bike shop, I took it back convinced that they had put it together wrong. The
mechanic went over everything and then we noticed the "one sided" drive. He
asked me if the problem occurs when I pedal as opposed to when I coast. I
took it back out in the parking lot and the mystery was solved. During the
few months that I owned it I found it most annoying.

The two wheels being behind you should not be a problem as that is where
they should be. Trikes are really not that much wider than bikes and it
should quickly become second nature just how much space is required for
clearing obstacles.

This is clearly a matter of taste. Having now owned both I prefer the
tadpole. I'm still thinking I would like to try a quad and just for a laugh
I'd like to try the tadpole that has rear wheel steering although I wouldn't
want to be going very fast when I corner.

Jeff

Old June 10th 05, 02:23 PM
Jeff Grippe

Frankly Ed, it seems to me that you are everything that you accuse other of
being. So much for my attempt to tone down the conversation.

Write whatever you want. If you believe that there is a right way and a
wrong way to do something then who am I to tell you differently. If you want
to walk up hills then walk up hills. If you like deltas then ride deltas.

Should you happen to want to carry on a conversation and actually have other
people listen to your point of view then it is better not to insult them
(like I did in the first sentence of this message, now that's ironic!)

I don't have a problem with people liking what they like and being fixed in
their position. I just have a problem with them labeling everyone that
doesn't agree with them as stupid, or thick-headed, or whatever words you
actually used.

As I said before I find myself in basic agreement with your ideas about
trikes and speed but not wanting to listen to you because of you caustic
tone.

One of the best lessons I was ever taught was "The meaning of a
communication is the response that you get back". So if people are
responding to you with hostility it isn't "just them".

Best of luck to you and may you enjoy many miles of care-free triking.

Jeff

Old June 10th 05, 07:56 PM
___________

Thanks for reminding me. I got a new laptop and hadn't plonked Ed Dolan
yet.

PLONK

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message
Jeff Grippe wrote:

Fun yes! I wouldn't give up my trikes for anything BUT they are not
stable at high speed (at least not the one's I've had a chance to ride
at high speed).

The Windcheetah used for the Lands End to John o'Groats distance record
in the UK was clocked at around 70 mph on some of the big descents on the
course (it was fully faired, btw). No reports of particular instability
AFAIK.

I learned this the hard way. I was going down a hill that would have
been nothing on a bike. The road was rough but nothing you would avoid.
I was going 25 MPH by the time I decided that I didn't like the way the
trike was handling. That is also the moment when I discovered that the
effect of brake-steer is magnified at high speed.

Folk regularly do *much* more than that on trikes, so it clearly isn't
intrinsic to trikes, period. Same thing with brake steer: it'll very
much be implementation dependent.

Pete.

Hang in there Jeff. You are right and Peter is wrong, as he is about most
everything. The fact is trikes are hard to handle at speed due to pedal
steer and brake steer can be problem too. Go with your own experience and
do not listen to those UK nuts. A two wheeler will always handle much
better at speed than any three wheeler, but trikes are OK provided you
keep your speed reasonable.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old June 11th 05, 08:56 AM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

[...]
The two wheels being behind you should not be a problem as that is where
they should be. Trikes are really not that much wider than bikes and it
should quickly become second nature just how much space is required for
clearing obstacles.

This is clearly a matter of taste. Having now owned both I prefer the
tadpole. I'm still thinking I would like to try a quad and just for a
laugh I'd like to try the tadpole that has rear wheel steering although I
wouldn't want to be going very fast when I corner.

All bike and trike designs have been around for many generations now and
they have either proven their worth or they have been discarded. There is
nothing new under the sun when it comes to bikes and trikes.

Front wheel drive and rear wheel steering have been tried and found wanting.
Save yourself some grief and forget about them. I predict someday that all
SWB will likewise be consigned to the scrap heap of history. The only reason
they are still around is because folks want something they can easily
transport.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 11th 05, 09:23 AM
Edward Dolan

"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

It would be better to incude my message and then bottom post as others may
be following this thread besides just you and me.

Frankly Ed, it seems to me that you are everything that you accuse other
of being. So much for my attempt to tone down the conversation.

Write whatever you want. If you believe that there is a right way and a
wrong way to do something then who am I to tell you differently. If you
want to walk up hills then walk up hills. If you like deltas then ride
deltas.

Not all ideas are equal and not everything is a matter of opinion and/or
experience. That is the easy way out of an argument. I take the views I do
because I believe I am right and others are wrong.

Should you happen to want to carry on a conversation and actually have
other people listen to your point of view then it is better not to insult
them (like I did in the first sentence of this message, now that's
ironic!)

I don't have a problem with people liking what they like and being fixed
in their position. I just have a problem with them labeling everyone that
doesn't agree with them as stupid, or thick-headed, or whatever words you
actually used.

I have had many years experience with the trike nuts and screwballs in the
UK. I treat them the way they treat others, only I beat them to the punch.

As I said before I find myself in basic agreement with your ideas about
trikes and speed but not wanting to listen to you because of you caustic
tone.

My caustic tone is the most interesting and charming thing about me. Too bad
you are unable to appreciate me. I think it comes from taking newsgroups
entirely too seriously. After all, there is no one here but us fools.

One of the best lessons I was ever taught was "The meaning of a
communication is the response that you get back". So if people are
responding to you with hostility it isn't "just them".

A hostile response indicates to me that I have been read. That is my one and
only reason for posting to a newsgroup in the first place. It is really sad
to see how so many others post and they are dead in the water. No responses
at all! That is not for me. That is why I call myself Great. I insist upon a
response and I know how to get one - and who cares whether it is hostile or
not.

Best of luck to you and may you enjoy many miles of care-free triking.

Well, yes, but I enjoy posting to ARBR too!

Your Friendly Neighborhood Troll,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old June 11th 05, 09:30 AM
Edward Dolan

"___________" wrote in message
Thanks for reminding me. I got a new laptop and hadn't plonked Ed Dolan
yet.

Anyone on ARBR want to discuss anything with Mr. Blank? I thought not!
Surely his brain is as vacuous as his address and his signature.

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota