Bicycle Power

Old June 19th 08, 10:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Bicycle Power

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 20 Jun 2008 05:36:13 +1000
Thomas Houseman thomashouseman@HomailHADTOPUTTHISHERETOSTOPTHESWE NVIRUS.com wrote:
"terryc" wrote in message
news On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:42:45 -0700, person wrote:

The law simply states that bicycles with motor assistance cannot have
more than 200 watts of power.,

Quote, link, url?

"The law simply states" .. it would be the first time.
-------------

See thie third post in this thread from myself.

You didn't quote the law. You quoted an RTA brochure.

Zebee
Old June 20th 08, 05:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo

On Jun 19, 9:23*am, terryc wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 16:32:20 -0700, theo wrote:
Are you saying that the 10 year old NiCds in my electric drill aren't
actually working? Or the 5 yr old NiMh in my otther drill either.

Are they working like they always did?
If so, they would be the exception to the rule.
Not that I think the DIY use s really use.

I use my electric drills pretty much on a daily basis. My construction
glazier son uses the same brand of drill, Hilti, and he uses them
often enough to require two or three charges per day. He has four and
five year old drills. OTOH a replacement battery pack for one of those
is about $200, so they might just be better batteries than the ones
that come in the $25 drill kit. :-)

Toyota are claiming they have not had to replace a set of batteries
in a Prius yet. Some of those are 8 years old. What kind of batteries
do they have?

Yes, but are they working like they always did?
The promise is there, but 8 years isn't 10 years which the tech claims.

Who knows.

Theo

Old June 20th 08, 09:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Thomas Houseman

"terryc" wrote in message
news On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:42:45 -0700, person wrote:

The law simply states that bicycles with motor assistance cannot have
more than 200 watts of power.,

Quote, link, url?

"The law simply states" .. it would be the first time.
-------------

See thie third post in this thread from myself.

You didn't quote the law. You quoted an RTA brochure.

Zebee

---------
You think they'd get it wrong?

T.

Old June 20th 08, 11:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"terryc" wrote:

Anyway, what we need that we currently do not have easily available, is a
kit of left crank with cog, bolt on motor, electronic throttle and
multiple battery packs (24hr turn around for longer life) and home
recharger.

Like this one?
http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/

Convert your bike to Xtracycle, fit Stokemonkey and go!!

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old June 20th 08, 02:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
PeteSig[_2_]

"Thomas Houseman" wrote:

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote:

You didn't quote the law. You quoted an RTA brochure.

Zebee

---------
You think they'd get it wrong?

Brochures and guidelines = advice

Advice about how to drive/ride is not always what is legally required. Eg.
Advice "You should always ride in bright coloured clothing". Legal
requirement - nil

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Old June 25th 08, 03:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:16:36 -0700, lemmiwinks.au wrote:

I'm more interested in how much arse it can lift up a hill side of what
inclination.

Then you're more interested in torque than power. For example, my
200W electric hub motor wouldn't pull a sailor off your sister, but
with quite gentle pedal input will sail along flat ground at 30-40kph
(or about 25 without pedaling). I also have a 200W K Mart electric
bike which uses a motor with a reduction gearbox (10:1 IIRC). It has
gobs of torque, but tops out at 22kph motor assist. It's on a
freewheel, so the motor has no input over that speed.

How long ago was the Kmart elec bike on offer?
$?

You can
also get geared hub motors which will have more torque for a given
wattage than a non geared hub motor, but I've never tried them.

I've seen them around.

Current investigation is which bolt on motor (for chain drive) are
around Vs $.

Hopefully I don't need to pull either out of mothballs when I finally
do get back on a bike!

Just take it easy and listen to your body.

Old June 25th 08, 10:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-06-25, terryc (aka Bruce)
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 01:16:36 -0700, lemmiwinks.au wrote:
Hopefully I don't need to pull either out of mothballs when I finally
do get back on a bike!

Just take it easy and listen to your body.

It keeps making this "ker*lunk *clang*" sound.

--
TimC
Information wants to be beer, or something like that. --unknown

power assisted bicycle yk Techniques 1 September 14th 07 02:19 PM
The power of the bicycle bell Rob Horton UK 9 August 6th 07 05:11 PM
Bicycle as generator/power source? Scott Gordo Techniques 24 December 6th 05 10:19 PM
Bicycle as generator/power source? Scott Gordo Mountain Biking 11 December 4th 05 03:38 PM
Bicycle power of European Union [email protected] General 7 February 28th 05 05:22 AM