WHOOPS! Former pro biker makes remarkable recovery after becomingparalyzed (Canada)

Old May 8th 17, 05:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default WHOOPS! Former pro biker makes remarkable recovery after becomingparalyzed (Canada)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/former-...yzed-1.3402259

Former pro biker makes remarkable recovery after becoming paralyzed

To watch video, you need an Adobe Flash Player Update.Please click to download.

Former athlete learns to walk, run after injury

Michele Brunoro reports on the remarkable recovery of former pro athlete Andrew Cho after he suddenly found himself paralyzed.

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Sunday, May 7, 2017 1:59PM EDT
Last Updated Sunday, May 7, 2017 3:46PM EDT

Pro biker turned marketing manager, Andrew Cho, has made an astonishing recovery after suddenly becoming paralyzed earlier this year.

Cho is not only lucky to be alive but now he’s walking again and taking part in a run to raise money for spinal research.

“It’s liberating. For me it’s like regaining independence,” he told CTV Vancouver.

RELATED STORIES

'Scariest moment': Former pro mountain biker speaks out after sudden paralysis
Former pro biker uses SIRI to call 911 after sudden paralysis

PHOTOS

Andrew Cho is walking again and taking part in a run to raise money for spinal research. (CTV)

Andrew Cho was left paralyzed after mysteriously breaking a blood vessel on Jan. 6. (GoFundMe)

Back in January, a blood vessel burst in the 30-year-old’s spine leaving him paralyzed from the neck down. He managed to drag himself to his phone and used his tongue to activate Siri to call 911.

He’s been on the long path to recovery ever since.

In the past four months, Cho had to learn to stand again, build up enough strength to take his first steps and finally walk on his own.

“Mentally and physically, the toughest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” Cho told CTV Vancouver.

“You can’t move your hands, can’t move your feet. You don’t even know where your hands and feet are,” he said.

On Sunday, he will join others to run in support of an organization called Wings for Life, which raises money for spinal cord research.

“I’m really running for those that can’t and obviously spinal cord injury is something that hits very close to home,” he said.

While Cho has made remarkable strides towards a full recovery, he told CTV Vancouver he’s not 100 per cent just yet.

“Dexterity’s still an issue for me,” he said, but added that he’s seeing improvements every day and said it’s only a matter of time before he’s back to mountain biking.

“It’s not so much a question of if I’ll ride again. It’s just when will I do it,” Cho said.