San Diego bound

Old June 8th 06, 01:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default San Diego bound

GeeDubb wrote:

"slartibartfast" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife has just accepted a job in San Diego, so we now begin the
journey from Salem, Mass all the way to the other coast and about as
far south as we could go. I'll certainly miss riding in Lynn Woods and
Harold Parker State Park but I'm sure the riding in southern California
will more than make up for it.

So, any of you locals or otherwise knowledgeable people have any advice
on where the best neighborhoods to look for apartments would be. What
are the places I should put at the top of my list for riding? What else
should a North Eastern transplant know about the area?

Thanks
Jason

Learn to speak Mexican (I'd say Spanish but they aren't the same)!

Gary (should have learnt it cuz itd come in handy now)

Hmmmm, I speak a bit of kitchen Spanish (picked up from the Columbian
dishwashers and prep cooks I've worked with) but thats about it. Will
have to work on it.

Jason
Old June 8th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Slartibartfast wrote:
Sorni wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:
The wife has just accepted a job in San Diego, so we now begin the
journey from Salem, Mass all the way to the other coast and about as
far south as we could go. I'll certainly miss riding in Lynn Woods
and Harold Parker State Park but I'm sure the riding in southern
California will more than make up for it.

So, any of you locals or otherwise knowledgeable people have any
advice on where the best neighborhoods to look for apartments would
be. What are the places I should put at the top of my list for
riding? What else should a North Eastern transplant know about the
area?

It's EXPENSIVE to live here, although I don't know about rent rates
these days. Maybe not as bad as home prices.

Most of the rents that I've looked at have been comparable to this
area, I'm just not sure what neighborhoods would be best to look in
and where I should stay away from

Again, depends on what part of county or city. What area is the new gig?

I'd suggest getting something fairly close to where your wife's new
work place. Gas is about $3.50 a gallon, so long commutes are
costly.

Yeah that's the plan, gas is about the same here. I commute by Public
transit right now, does San Diego have any sort of subway or Light
Rail transit?

Trolley system is pretty extensive.

As for riding, there are lots of great places. North County, East
County, South Bay, Coastal -- not exactly a mecca, but plenty of
variety. (Think brown and rocky )

Send out a shout once you're here.

Will do

Bill "JD makes roadie crack here" S.

and sure enough...

Saw it. If you're a roadie, there's plenty of good stuff out front door, as
well as within an hour's drive.

Old June 8th 06, 03:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Sorni wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:
Sorni wrote:
slartibartfast wrote:
[...]

Her Jobs in Balboa Park

I'd suggest getting something fairly close to where your wife's new
work place. Gas is about $3.50 a gallon, so long commutes are
costly.

Yeah that's the plan, gas is about the same here. I commute by Public
transit right now, does San Diego have any sort of subway or Light
Rail transit?

Trolley system is pretty extensive.

Cool, I'll look into it. Thanks

As for riding, there are lots of great places. North County, East
County, South Bay, Coastal -- not exactly a mecca, but plenty of
variety. (Think brown and rocky )

Send out a shout once you're here.

Will do

Bill "JD makes roadie crack here" S.

and sure enough...

Saw it. If you're a roadie, there's plenty of good stuff out front door, as
well as within an hour's drive.

Yeah, I was out there a few months ago and the road riding looked
sweet.

Old June 8th 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

slartibartfast wrote:
Sorni wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:

Most of the rents that I've looked at have been comparable to this
area, I'm just not sure what neighborhoods would be best to look in
and where I should stay away from

Again, depends on what part of county or city. What area is the new
gig?

Her Jobs in Balboa Park

OK, so that's smack in the middle of town. Apartments should be plentiful
all over -- downtown, North Park, Hillcrest (you don't /have/ to be gay to
live there!), Beach areas (more $$ of course), etc. etc. etc.

Draw a circle around her new workplace and go hunting? That's what I'd do I
think.

As for riding, there's some fun stuff right there in Balboa Park, but you'll
have to drive to most of the better stuff (Mission Trails, Martha's Grove in
Santee, Daley Ranch, Anderson Truck Trail, Cuyamaca, Noble, etc.).