Carbon Footprint

Old April 10th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Default A future without cars

wrote:
dgk wrote:

Interesting and depressing. I think I'll sell all my stock and buy
gold. And a rifle. And move into the hills of Montana and raise goats
and sheep.

Don't sell your oil and defense stocks
for a while.

Robert

Gold. Just steal a ton of catalytic converters. They each have about
$100 of Platinum in them. A very precious metal and Detroit found a way
to waste it.
Bill Baka
Old April 12th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Jeremy Parker wrote:

I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical when
the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of coal
about

Last I heard the price of oil was something like $70, so we should be
seeing this happen any day now if it is true. But somehow I doubt that
the process has really been developed to the point of being feasable.
Apparently it was used by the Germans during WWII when we cut off their
oil supplies, but it was a filthy process.

Although there is quite a bit of coal about, they tend now to just
remove all the land above it to get at the coal. Lovely future we have
in store.

--

David L. Johnson

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach
a conclusion. -- George Bernard Shaw
Old April 12th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeremy Parker

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
Jeremy Parker wrote:

I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical
when the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of
coal about

Last I heard the price of oil was something like $70, so we should
be seeing this happen any day now if it is true. But somehow I
doubt that the process has really been developed to the point of
being feasable. Apparently it was used by the Germans during WWII
when we cut off their oil supplies, but it was a filthy process.

[snip]

And the same process was used in South Africa when it was being
boycotted over apartheid. One didn't hear of driving being greatly
affected by that. That was recent enough that no doubt Sasol, the
local oil company there, would still have a fair amount of expertise

Jeremy parker

Old April 13th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

Default A future without cars (was: Carbon Footprint)

On 2007-04-09, Jeremy Parker wrote:

I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical when
the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of coal
about

It's only economical if you ignore the pollution costs. And using it
would dump even more hitherto sequestered CO2 into the atmosphere.

--

John )
Old April 13th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

Jeremy Parker wrote:

I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical
when the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of
coal about

Last I heard the price of oil was something like $70, so we should
be seeing this happen any day now if it is true. But somehow I
doubt that the process has really been developed to the point of
being feasable. Apparently it was used by the Germans during WWII
when we cut off their oil supplies, but it was a filthy process.

[snip]

And the same process was used in South Africa when it was being
boycotted over apartheid. One didn't hear of driving being greatly
affected by that. That was recent enough that no doubt Sasol, the
local oil company there, would still have a fair amount of expertise

And that worked to a large extent because the SA apartheid government
didn't give a rip about the environmental impact in the Bantustans where
the coal was mined and processed.

--

John )
Old April 13th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

On 2007-04-09, Jeremy Parker wrote:

I understand that making gasoline form coal becomes economical when
the oil price gets to be about $60. There's quite a lot of coal
about

It's only economical if you ignore the pollution costs. And using it
would dump even more hitherto sequestered CO2 into the atmosphere.

--

John )

Power production from coal mines is not what it use to be.
they are progressive too

FS: NEW 2006 Raleigh full carbon Team frame w/NEW Ritchey carbon fork [email protected] Marketplace 1 November 27th 06 12:09 AM
"Carbon footprint" Nick Kew UK 90 November 16th 06 03:54 PM
FA: Carbon Giant TCR Frameset with Deda Carbon Seatpost and Ritches WCS Stem Rod Marketplace 0 March 9th 05 11:50 PM
FA: 2003 GIANT TCR 0 CARBON FRAME, CARBON FORK, CARBON CAGES AND COMPUTER Phil, Squid-in-Training Marketplace 0 January 21st 05 03:07 PM
Orbea Lobular Carbon frame/Zeus FCM carbon fork/integrated headset Jonathan Page Marketplace 0 August 8th 04 08:49 PM