false shifting when I'm on the trainer

Old April 12th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steve

Default false shifting when I'm on the trainer

I have a question for the more mechanically-inclined readers.

I'm having an issue when I hook up the new bike to my trainer. Not
long after I begin pedaling, I'm experiencing some sporadic false
shifting, meaning it both sounds and feels like I'm shifting, but the
gear doesn't actually shift.

With my pea-like brain, I'm assuming this is the result of either one
of two things. First, because the frame is a lot less stiff than the
aluminum frame I was riding, perhaps my weight is causing the frame to
flex once I set the rear skewer in the trainer and that, in turn, is
creating tension on the rear derailleur cable where it sits in the
cable guide under the crank housing.

Any thoughts on that one?

Old April 12th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Steve" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a question for the more mechanically-inclined readers.

I'm having an issue when I hook up the new bike to my trainer. Not
long after I begin pedaling, I'm experiencing some sporadic false
shifting, meaning it both sounds and feels like I'm shifting, but the
gear doesn't actually shift.

With my pea-like brain, I'm assuming this is the result of either one
of two things. First, because the frame is a lot less stiff than the
aluminum frame I was riding, perhaps my weight is causing the frame to
flex once I set the rear skewer in the trainer and that, in turn, is
creating tension on the rear derailleur cable where it sits in the
cable guide under the crank housing.

Any thoughts on that one?

Which gear and is it when going down or up?
The adjustable screws or wire tension has got to be part of the answer.
If not low enough or high enough gear it is just the screws.

Old April 13th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Steve

On Apr 12, 12:15 pm, "nash" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I'm not shifting when it happens--it just happens sporadically. In
terms of the gearing, it's a 10-speed and the chain is sitting on one
of the middle cogs in the cassette. When I ride on the road it
doesn't happen--shifts beautifully.

Old April 13th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Steve" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Apr 12, 12:15 pm, "nash" wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I would try loosening the screw for the wire tension down by the derailleur
since that is what you say is causing the tension. If that is not enough
lengthen the wire at the adjustment where the wire is fastened.

TRUE or FALSE MagillaGorilla Racing 7 January 14th 07 04:16 PM
TRUE or FALSE MagillaGorilla Racing 44 November 26th 06 07:43 AM
Kinetic trainer by Kurt good trainer? chrisc General 2 September 28th 05 12:29 AM
Another Abusrd and Surprising False Positive B. Lafferty Racing 0 September 22nd 05 11:12 AM
False allegations Was: CFV for uk.rec.gps NULL & VOID Dave Fawthrop UK 0 December 5th 04 04:13 PM