Carbon Footprint

Old March 30th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

Default Carbon Footprint

Stephen Harding wrote:
David L. Johnson wrote:

Should be and gonna happen are two different things. I don't believe
that the oil companies are actually getting their money's worth by
promoting this denial research, because we all know that we are going
to keep driving, keep the thermostat up, and keep the lights on until
we run out.

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.

Now there's a great analogy.

The same will be true for the "oil age". When the cost of
the resource gets high enough, alternate technologies will
emerge. It's finally starting to happen now, but quite
frankly, the price of oil *still* isn't high enough.

Agreed. And we never will "run out", but eventually not only will the
remaining oil be too expensive, but much of it will require more energy
to extract than it will provide. At that point it will no longer be
viable to extract the oil, and that will occur much sooner than some
would claim. Much of the oil shale (where vast repositories of oil
reside) fits this category.

Furthermore, the price of the resource will reign in its
consumption. You can talk all you want about social or
environmental responsibilities, but it all eventually
comes down to economic imperatives.

Of course. But those costs will not be borne equitably. Just as it
costs more to run a car than we tend to consider, it will cost some a
great deal for others' reliance on oil. Tough luck for those who live
at low elevation, I guess.

--

David L. Johnson

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig...
You soon find out the pig likes it!
Old March 30th 07, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

David L. Johnson wrote:
Stephen Harding wrote:
David L. Johnson wrote:

[...]

How about this for a twist? I rode my into the next town about 12 miles
away and it has a Shell station. They sell "Racing" gas for $6.69 per
gallon. Regular is at $3.09
I think it is going up.
Bill Baka
Old March 30th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Curtis L. Russell

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:33:26 -0700, Bill wrote:

One thing I would do with the Prius is bury it in solar cells. That way
if you park it in the sun all day you may not need to plug in at home.

You do know that you never plug in a Prius, don't you? It isn't how it
works.

You 'plug it in' at your local gasoline station.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 30th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:33:26 -0700, Bill wrote:

One thing I would do with the Prius is bury it in solar cells. That way
if you park it in the sun all day you may not need to plug in at home.

You do know that you never plug in a Prius, don't you? It isn't how it
works.

You 'plug it in' at your local gasoline station.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Yeah,
Which means you are still supporting the oil industry.
Less, but still doing it.
Bill Baka
Old March 30th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:30:55 GMT, Bill wrote:

You 'plug it in' at your local gasoline station.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Yeah,
Which means you are still supporting the oil industry.
Less, but still doing it.
Bill Baka

And this is supposed to be a revelation? FWIW, probably everyone on
this list supports the oil industry at some point, maybe less, maybe
more, but to some degree at some level. What's your point?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

I mentioned solar cell on the car and for this you want to rag on me?
Solar at home and a windmill too if you have any property.
Less oil is better, and that's the way I'm headed.
Now I need to find a house with a bigger lot so I can have my own wind farm.
Bill Baka

Old March 30th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"Bill" wrote in message
. net...
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
[...]

If you put a beany type cap on your car would that work as a wind energy
generator.
The faster you go the more energy you could use. Maybe as a supplement to
the solar power roof.
I like the wind farm. Maybe you can buy some wind farm stock?

Old March 30th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 18:44:33 GMT, Bill wrote:

I mentioned solar cell on the car and for this you want to rag on me?

WTF are you talking about? What in my reply has anything to do with
that?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 30th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article dGdPh.473$DE1.180@pd7urf2no,
"nash" writes:

I mentioned solar cell on the car and for this you want to rag on me?
Solar at home and a windmill too if you have any property.
Less oil is better, and that's the way I'm headed.
Now I need to find a house with a bigger lot so I can have my own wind
farm.
Bill Baka

If you put a beany type cap on your car would that work as a wind energy
generator.

Hey, and electric autogyro.
Perpetual motion to boot! grin

Just gotta watch out for decapitations,
getting out of the vehicle.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 31st 07, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

nash wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
. net...
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
[...]

So what part of putting 'solar skin' on the car brought this on? If
someone drives 10 miles to work and can park in the sun all day that
might be enough to charge up the batteries and make the car plug in or
liquid fuel independent. Look Ma, ZERO Carbon footprint.
THAT was the point, simple.
Bill Baka

FS: NEW 2006 Raleigh full carbon Team frame w/NEW Ritchey carbon fork [email protected] Marketplace 1 November 27th 06 12:09 AM
"Carbon footprint" Nick Kew UK 90 November 16th 06 03:54 PM
FA: Carbon Giant TCR Frameset with Deda Carbon Seatpost and Ritches WCS Stem Rod Marketplace 0 March 9th 05 11:50 PM
FA: 2003 GIANT TCR 0 CARBON FRAME, CARBON FORK, CARBON CAGES AND COMPUTER Phil, Squid-in-Training Marketplace 0 January 21st 05 03:07 PM
Orbea Lobular Carbon frame/Zeus FCM carbon fork/integrated headset Jonathan Page Marketplace 0 August 8th 04 08:49 PM