Hot weather + bidon = pondscum

Old January 17th 07, 10:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman

Default Hot weather + bidon = pondscum

One of the benefits in recent years of being a newborn baby to toddler
family - I still have the Milton kit and steri stuff to soak bottles
in, works a treat....

and too right about adding sugary stuff to the liquids, plain water is
fine, its a nice chemical cocktail already that works on a cast iron
gut...but sports drinks and fruit juices can be a problemo after a few
days of "school bag treatment"(remembers back when..ugh, furry oranges
and all)...

love the sock thingy, imagine... kids with their drink bottles hanging
off their back packs going to school with their soggy footy socks over
the outside...hmmm new summer fashion statement! as orstrayyan as
corks dangling around the akubra...

--
rooman

Old January 17th 07, 12:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Donga Wrote:

Post a pic? It must be going around - there's been quite a bit of
chunder on the bike paths lately. Uni/school holidays = more beer?
I've
managed to dodge it, so far.

Classy suggestion mate.

And in answer to your question: No.

Hang on, (remembers a Henry Rollins spoken piece about bodily fluids)
Na, not going there...

--
cfsmtb

Old January 17th 07, 12:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ugly verb

"cfsmtb" wrote in message

A gentle warning from earlier this week folks ... during hot weather
especially, please don't leave your beloved bidon to lanquish. By that
I mean don't simply keep filling the thing up and *not* taking the time
to clean it properly with a rinse or even Milton tablets.

Things happens, things grow and the result maybe a ****eload of
microbes having a party at your expense. I take expecially good care of
my 3l hydrapak by placing it (empty) in the freezer while not in use.

Wish I'd done the same actions with the bidon though. It's not pleasant
trying maintain ones dignity in public in 40C+ temps and doing a
discreet Bazza McKenzie impersonation behind a park bench. sigh.

--
cfsmtb

my drink bottle (no 'bidon'-the french are ****s) has a foul smell of farts.

i put it in the freezer - thanks for the tip! :-)

Old January 17th 07, 11:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

ugly verb wrote:

my drink bottle (no 'bidon'-the french are c****) has a foul smell of farts.

I think you got your name wrong... should be "ugly noun". Someone needs
to keep the dishwater in their bidon! :-)

old water in bidons/bottles... In my line of work I often see fungi
and/or algae growing in bottles of highly purified water after long
periods of time, especially if the bottles are clear or "natural" (i.e.
that sort of opaque white stuff). You'd be surprised what can grow in
what you would think are extremely clean environments. The clue is
drain your bottle and let it dry before the next use. A good wash in
hot water with detergent before drying is obviously a better option.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old January 18th 07, 02:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

Ah, I think I've worked it out. I only put pure tap water in it. I
don't want to think about what might grow in Gatorade.

On Jan 17, 5:28 pm, TimC
On 2007-01-17, AndrewJ (aka Bruce)

I can understand it with a hydrapack, but I openly admit that my bidons
are now at least 10 years
old and have never been washed. Either this means that the water I'm
putting in is really, really clean, or that I have fantastic immune
system or .....

Yes, maybe it is a good idea to give them an annual wash. On to it :-)You realise this will be the time you end up getting sick?

Mine? I wipe the cruft off the mouthpiece occasionally. And I rinse
them out with dishwater after they have gatorade put in them.

--
TimC
It's funny, isn't it? All this antiterrorist legislation makes ordinary

Old January 18th 07, 04:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound

"matagi" wrote in message

If you only ever put water in them, then you're unlikely to have a
problem especially if you empty out any water between rides.

The problem arises if you put other drinks in your bidon because the
nice sugary environment is ideal for growing bacteria.

You can actually buy bottle brushes designed for sports bottles at your
local supermarket. If you are in the habit of putting anything other
than water in your bidon, then investing in one of these and using it
to clean out the bidon every time you put a sweet drink in it, might be
a good idea. (using HOT water and soap and rinsing thoroughly)

The last time I washed my bidon with dishwasing detergent, I couldn't get
rid of the taste of detergent. I sort of killed the taste by rinsing with
vinegar and hot water a few times but it's still there. Some plastics seem
to be really good at absorbing odours/tastes.

Old January 18th 07, 04:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Resound wrote:

The last time I washed my bidon with dishwasing detergent, I couldn't get
rid of the taste of detergent. I sort of killed the taste by rinsing with
vinegar and hot water a few times but it's still there. Some plastics seem
to be really good at absorbing odours/tastes.

You sure that was detergent and not Gatorade you were
tasting?
Old January 18th 07, 04:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
Resound wrote:

The last time I washed my bidon with dishwasing detergent, I couldn't get
rid of the taste of detergent. I sort of killed the taste by rinsing with
vinegar and hot water a few times but it's still there. Some plastics
seem
to be really good at absorbing odours/tastes.

You sure that was detergent and not Gatorade you were
tasting?

Yep, Gatorade is acidic, detergent is alkaline. Besides, it was lemon
scented deergent and I don't go for the citrus flavoured Gatorade/Powerade
with the exception of this odd diet stuff that I didn't intend to grab but
which was rather pleasantly mandarin flavoured.

Old January 18th 07, 04:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Resound wrote:

The last time I washed my bidon with dishwasing detergent, I couldn't get
rid of the taste of detergent. I sort of killed the taste by rinsing with
vinegar and hot water a few times but it's still there. Some plastics
seem
to be really good at absorbing odours/tastes.

You sure that was detergent and not Gatorade you were
tasting?

Yep, Gatorade is acidic, detergent is alkaline. Besides, it was lemon
scented deergent and I don't go for the citrus flavoured Gatorade/Powerade
with the exception of this odd diet stuff that I didn't intend to grab but
which was rather pleasantly mandarin flavoured.

They make diet sports drink? That's crazy!

Tam
Old January 18th 07, 04:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Tamyka Bell wrote:

They make diet sports drink? That's crazy!

You find them at the triathelete shops, next to the oxy shots and the
skinz

Third Bidon Cage Bob C Techniques 25 January 6th 07 02:51 AM
Third Bidon Carrier Bob C Australia 6 January 5th 07 06:47 PM
Third Bidon Carrier Bob C UK 3 January 4th 07 11:24 AM
how was your weather? [email protected] Rides 14 September 19th 06 11:32 PM
how was your weather? recycled-one General 23 September 19th 06 09:20 AM