Hot weather + bidon = pondscum

Old January 18th 07, 04:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Shabby

Default Hot weather + bidon = pondscum

Resound Wrote:

The last time I washed my bidon with dishwasing detergent, I couldn't
get
rid of the taste of detergent. I sort of killed the taste by rinsing
with
vinegar and hot water a few times but it's still there. Some plastics
seem
to be really good at absorbing odours/tastes.

Standard practice in the food industry is to use a 1% caustic solution
(a.k.a. sodium hydroxide, NaoH) at 75 degrees for 20 minutes. Give it a
good scrub before and repeat if necessary.... or use dishwasher
detergent (not dishwashing detergent) and boiling water and you'll get
the same result...

It won't impart any odours to the bottle, but read the safety
precautions if you don;t know what you're doing..

--
Shabby

Old January 18th 07, 04:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
PiledHigher

Tamyka Bell wrote:

They make diet sports drink? That's crazy!

Tam

Its for all the slobs that have a sports drink with their hamburger for
lunch.

PiledHigher

Old January 18th 07, 05:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Bleve wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

They make diet sports drink? That's crazy!

You find them at the triathelete shops, next to the oxy shots and the
skinz

I bought skins and I love them. I still stand by the fact
that you can get just as good compression out of any old
tights and in fact post race I use Kmart tights and lots of
ice packs... but if I'm going to run in a pair of tights for
12 hours or more, I'd like them to have very smooth
flatlocked seams...

Tam*bite*
Old January 18th 07, 07:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Bleve wrote:
Tamyka Bell wrote:

They make diet sports drink? That's crazy!

You find them at the triathelete shops, next to the oxy shots and the
skinz

And next to the triple your endurance books http://tripleyourendurance.com/

DaveB
Old January 18th 07, 08:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ritcho

Shabby Wrote:
Standard practice in the food industry is to use a 1% caustic solution
(a.k.a. sodium hydroxide, NaoH) at 75 degrees for 20 minutes. Give it a
good scrub before and repeat if necessary.... or use dishwasher
detergent (not dishwashing detergent) and boiling water and you'll get
the same result...

It won't impart any odours to the bottle, but read the safety
precautions if you don;t know what you're doing..

A less thorough, but reasonably effective way to get rid of unpleasant
smells from water bottles is to wash the bottle normally and then flush
with vanilla essence (in solution with water). Seems to work for me, but
ymmv...

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old January 19th 07, 02:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SteveA

ritcho Wrote:
A less thorough, but reasonably effective way to get rid of unpleasant
smells from water bottles is to wash the bottle normally and then flush
with vanilla essence (in solution with water). Seems to work for me, but
ymmv...

Ritch

If the taste is really off, leave the vanila solution in the bottle
overnight. And real vanila essence works better than the imitation
essence stuff. (You have to read the bottle carefully when you buy it!)

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old January 19th 07, 03:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

SteveA wrote:
ritcho Wrote:
A less thorough, but reasonably effective way to get rid of unpleasant
smells from water bottles is to wash the bottle normally and then flush
with vanilla essence (in solution with water). Seems to work for me, but
ymmv...

Ritch

If the taste is really off, leave the vanila solution in the bottle
overnight. And real vanila essence works better than the imitation
essence stuff. (You have to read the bottle carefully when you buy it!)

SteveA

--
SteveA

Vanilla essence runs at about 60% ethanol, so it's a good sterilant as
well. Might as well drink it instead of tipping it away, just to clean
out your guts. Mind you, I saw some schoolgirls with the horrific
vommies after a session on vanilla essence.

Donga

Old January 19th 07, 06:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Donga Wrote:

Vanilla essence runs at about 60% ethanol, so it's a good sterilant as
well. Might as well drink it instead of tipping it away, just to clean
out your guts. Mind you, I saw some schoolgirls with the horrific
vommies after a session on vanilla essence.

The youngsters having a Sunday Too Far Away moment? Yuk!

--
cfsmtb

Old January 19th 07, 07:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

cfsmtb wrote:

The youngsters having a Sunday Too Far Away moment? Yuk!

I'll say - it was classic. One of the girls threw up on the Deputy's
shoes, as she was roasting the poor, green girl. The Deputy kept right
on going.

We've been married for 20 years now.

Donga

Old January 19th 07, 07:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-01-19, Donga (aka Bruce)
Mind you, I saw some schoolgirls with the horrific
vommies after a session on vanilla essence.

!

?

It's not a particularly cheap drink!

--
TimC
Your fault (core dumped)

Third Bidon Cage Bob C Techniques 25 January 6th 07 02:51 AM
Third Bidon Carrier Bob C Australia 6 January 5th 07 06:47 PM
Third Bidon Carrier Bob C UK 3 January 4th 07 11:24 AM
how was your weather? [email protected] Rides 14 September 19th 06 11:32 PM
how was your weather? recycled-one General 23 September 19th 06 09:20 AM