A 35km air cooled cycle-path? -Iin Qatar,where else...

Old January 23rd 07, 06:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default A 35km air cooled cycle-path? -Iin Qatar,where else...

On 2007-01-22, blah (aka Bruce)

BT Humble wrote:
Skewer wrote:
The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle

They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
interesting...

WTF? I saw an ad for a job in Qatar in a paper today. I've never
heard the place, and now I've seen it mentioned 3 times today.

--
TimC
An optimist thinks we are living in the best of all possible worlds. A
Old January 23rd 07, 06:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-01-23, Nick Payne (aka Bruce)
"Skewer" wrote in message
The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
air-conditioned bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in
2007.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle

Let's just air-condition the whole planet. The way things are going we'll
need to do to survive anyway...

Damn you laws of thermodynamics. And why is it that my house
immediately follows the upwards trends in temperature (during the
daytime, my flat's internal temperature is identical to, or 1 or 2
degrees higher than the temperature at the airport), but it doesn't
cool by more than 5 degrees in the 11 hours of the night?

And the more iceblocks I eat, the more the room temperature increases.

--
TimC
Some people claim that the UNIX learning curve is steep, but at least you
Old January 23rd 07, 08:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama

blah Wrote:

Yep - it surprised us, too. Best job we could hope for, though. One
positive is the Tour of Qatar each Feb and another is that nobody
drives on Fridays - empty roads!

Blah! Long time no see dude! I'll need someone at the feed zone at
this tour, you be free to help out?

--
gplama

Old January 23rd 07, 11:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On 2007-01-23, Nick Payne (aka Bruce)
"Skewer" wrote in message
The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
air-conditioned bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in
2007.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle

Let's just air-condition the whole planet. The way things are going we'll
need to do to survive anyway...

Damn you laws of thermodynamics.

The planet is not a closed system. You *could* bleed the heat off into
space.

Old January 23rd 07, 11:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

ghostgum Wrote:
A bit like a public transport system :-) That way pedestrians and
cyclists could both use it. The trick is making the trains/trams
arrive every 2-3 minutes.Bwhahahaha hahaha ah hahahahha.

Sorry.

--
cfsmtb

Old January 23rd 07, 12:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-01-23, Bleve (aka Bruce)

On 2007-01-23, Nick Payne (aka Bruce)
Let's just air-condition the whole planet. The way things are going we'll
need to do to survive anyway...

Damn you laws of thermodynamics.

The planet is not a closed system. You *could* bleed the heat off into
space.

But they you'll heat up Jupiter!

Easier solution:

Who cares about acid rain? Bring back sulphur! Bring back sulphur!
Bring on global cooling!

--
TimC
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded.
Old January 23rd 07, 10:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

On 2007-01-22, blah (aka Bruce)

BT Humble wrote:
Skewer wrote:
The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle

They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
interesting...

WTF? I saw an ad for a job in Qatar in a paper today. I've never
heard the place, and now I've seen it mentioned 3 times today.

We got offered some PhD studentships and postdocs there...
of course the catch is that you have to live in a
compound...

Tam
Old January 24th 07, 01:45 AM posted to aus.bicycle
blah

On 2007-01-22, blah (aka Bruce)

BT Humble wrote:
Skewer wrote:
The link is a google video of talking about a (yet to be built) 35km
'air-conditioned' bike path system in Qatar. Scheduled for sometime in 2007.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3326850694033482725&q=bicycle

They've got more money than they can spend over there... for now.

I'll avoid it on principles, I think. Move there in August. Ought to be
interesting...

WTF? I saw an ad for a job in Qatar in a paper today. I've never
heard the place, and now I've seen it mentioned 3 times today.We got offered some PhD studentships and postdocs there...

of course the catch is that you have to live in a
compound...

I'm not. Maybe they want to quarantine people from Qld? It will be
quite different, though.

Old January 25th 07, 12:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

blah wrote:
Maybe they want to quarantine people from Qld?

Sounds like a sensible policy to me! ;-)

BTH

cycle path and road Mark Thompson UK 8 November 2nd 06 04:19 PM
On the cycle path this morning... BT Humble Australia 33 October 27th 06 06:09 AM
Why do cyclists not use the cycle path? Tony Raven UK 30 August 13th 06 12:22 AM
If you're on this cycle path iakobski UK 21 October 20th 05 07:07 PM
Went on a cycle path today Simonb UK 19 July 26th 04 06:20 AM