I'm going to Trek University!

Old January 23rd 07, 09:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
just us

Default I'm going to Trek University!

LOL I dont know about that! My riding freind is same size, but her boobs far
outweigh mine! Have a look next time - height, weight may be the same but
boobs are all different :P Oh and no silicone or saline rofl.

Old January 23rd 07, 09:36 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

I just keep reading that title and hearing it in Ralph Wiggum's
voice...

BTH

Old January 23rd 07, 10:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

Bleve Wrote:
warrwych wrote:

Bleve Wrote:

funny, my track bike doesn't seem to impact me that way, and track
bikes when set up properly have the pelvis rotated more forward than

road bike. But I won't buy a pink bike either

You're not on it for very long, are you?
[

long enough to know

--
warrwych

Old January 23rd 07, 10:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

PiledHigher Wrote:

There is a reason that 36-24-36 used to be the ideal (ignoring the
current crop of 20-20-20 models), proportionality.

yes, it's called aesthetics, from a male perspective....

--
warrwych

Old January 23rd 07, 10:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Bleve wrote:

LotteBum wrote:
Dig the pink mountain bikes!

It ****s me how so many of the women's geometry bikes are in such lame
colours, it's as if the bike manufacturers just assume that all girls
like pink and purple. I don't think you *all* do, do you?

At least Trek don't call their female bikes 'diva', which it seems is
rather too common a name at the moment.

I must correct you Bleve, it is a well known fact that all
women prefer pink and purple.

Tam *partial to shades of green and brown*
Old January 23rd 07, 10:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum

I've done a bit of research. Here's what I've gathered:

If my current frame (Scattante from 2002) has the same geometry as the
current Scattantes, then it has exactly the same geometry as the Trek
WSD frames. The only difference being that the Trek has a 50cm top
tube compared to my 50.6cm top tube.

So how is it that Trek can claim that the bike carries womens specific
geometry when clearly the only difference is top tube length?

Obviously I realise that top tube length is the primary factor when
considering a bike in terms of fit, but you would think that a womens
specific frame would have slightly different geometry to accommodate...
women!

Anyway, I'm over it... I'm going to get set up by a mate of Tam's on
Saturday, and I'll see how I go after that. I'm also going to sit on
one of the Trek WSD bikes next week - I'll bring my bike along and
compare the two. At the end of the day, I just want to be frigging
well comfortable!

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old January 23rd 07, 10:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

just us wrote:
LOL I dont know about that! My riding freind is same size, but her
boobs far outweigh mine! Have a look next time - height, weight may
be the same but boobs are all different :P

You think guys don't look ALL the time?

Theo

Old January 23rd 07, 10:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

LotteBum Wrote:
[...]

HA! thanks Lotte. You have just illustrated what I often suspected:
Bike company takes standard bike, puts small parts onto it, paints a
girly colour (whatever that is!) then flogs it off as women specific.
Think about it. Is it worth the expense to the bike manufacturer to set
up a process line on the factory floor to make a slightly different
shaped bike for a small market? Economics and factory layout suggests
not. Some bike manufacturers don't make bikes under a certain size for
that reason.

So it's all fluff and bubbles and marketing. If the bike fits, ride it

--
warrwych

Old January 23rd 07, 10:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum

warrwych Wrote:
HA! thanks Lotte. You have just illustrated what I often suspected: Bike
company takes standard bike, puts small parts onto it, paints a girly
colour (whatever that is!) then flogs it off as women specific. Think
about it. Is it worth the expense to the bike manufacturer to set up a
process line on the factory floor to make a slightly different shaped
bike for a small market? Economics and factory layout suggests not.
Some bike manufacturers don't make bikes under a certain size for that
reason.

So it's all fluff and bubbles and marketing. If the bike fits, ride it

See I believe that they are actually making what they think is a womens
specific design, by making them shorter in the top tube (my bike is a
very, very short bike - the shortest off the shelf I could find at the
time) but without changing geometry at all. It just seems stupid to
me.

It's so fscking expensive being female. We get ripped off at the hair
dresser, our clothes last nowhere near as long as bloke clothes and
even the bike manufacturers want their piece. GRR!!

--
LotteBum

Old January 23rd 07, 11:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych

Bleve Wrote:

That's easy, shorter top tube and higher stem, slightly more relaxed
seat tube. The reason isn't the myth of different arm length vs leg
length ratios, but rather pelvis rotation. As a general rule, so I'm
lead to believe (and I'll just have to trust them/you on this, I can't
tell without fairly drastic surgery) females can't ride comfortably
with their hips rotated as far forward as males can. Pressure on the
bits, so you (females) *generally* need to be more upright.

Here's the details anyway, for Trek (who make it easy enough to tell),
have a look at the 54cm one as a good comparison.

WSD madone 5.0 :
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...id=1463003&f=1
male madone 5.0 :
http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...id=1463000&f=1

Are there figures on geometry associated with these 2 bikes?? All I can
find is marketing blurb (ie "bontrager wheels are light and fast". hmmm)
and an assurance of comfort with feel on the wsd pages.

--
warrwych

Trek university mfrobert Unicycling 0 January 20th 05 01:10 AM
University trials demo pete66 Unicycling 48 January 2nd 05 07:41 AM
University Challenge John Hearns UK 3 June 22nd 04 10:20 AM
Coventry university bob francisco UK 6 August 21st 03 01:38 PM