Sports Drink Suggestions to try.

Old January 26th 07, 07:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jock

Default Sports Drink Suggestions to try.

Hi all,
Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jock
Old January 26th 07, 01:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Roadie_scum

Jock Wrote:
Hi all,
Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jock

http://www.ais.org.au/nutrition/docu...rtsDrink07.pdf

(Warning: PDF Link)

--
Roadie_scum

Old January 26th 07, 10:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Christopher Turcksin

Jock wrote:

Have just got back into riding after (Quite) a few years away. I need
some suggestions for a sports drink because given how much I sweat I
think I need something more than water. I am particularly looking for
mix up drinks as I can't be bothered buying premixed stuff and I would
rather something I can tweak to suit my needs. Any and all suggestions
greatly appreciated.

You're right when you say that you need something more than water. You
need to replenish the minerals/salts you loose.

I mix my own drink by diluting orange juice with tap water and adding a
pinch of salt or lo-salt. Vary the ratio juice to water depending on
your taste and your requirement for carbohydrates. For variation, I
sometimes use lemon squash or lime cordial instead. Again, you can tweak
the dilution to suite your needs.

I use lo-salt, which is 50% potassium chloride, because I read somewhere
that the potassium helps prevent muscle cramps.

You won't taste the salt in the drink, unless you add too much, in which
case it tastes vile.

Inspiration came from this website:
http://tinyurl.com/yrwjr6 [news.bbc.co.uk]

hth,
wabbitje
Old January 26th 07, 10:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Jan 27, 8:08 am, Christopher Turcksin wrote:
Jock wrote:
[...]

The best value I've found is bottles of concentrated Staminade, in the
supermarket next to the powder.

Donga

Old January 27th 07, 01:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Absent Husband

I have bought a big bag of Powerade from Rebel Sport (they often have
them on sale), and poured it into a Tupperware dispenser.

I can make it up as strong or weak as I like........ Works out pretty
cheap as well. And I don't min dthe lemon-lime flavour....

Cheers,
Abby

Old January 27th 07, 01:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

Abby goes back to work on Monday ... ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!

Your 5 week sojourn is now over, so suck arse! Don't fret though - it
will live on in your mastercard statements for a couple of months

--
monsterman

Old January 27th 07, 06:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duracell Bunny

monsterman Wrote:
Abby goes back to work on Monday ... ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!

Your 5 week sojourn is now over, so suck arse! Don't fret though - it
will live on in your mastercard statements for a couple of months

Good to see our public servants do have to attend their workplace now &
again

Does this mean you're up for an LA ride again soon, Abby?

Asterope, Lotte & I will be gentle with you. Not.

DB

--
Duracell Bunny

Old January 27th 07, 04:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
531Aussie

Glucodin powder is very cheap, but you have to add some salts and
flavouring.
I get it from Priceline or Coles, but it's become harder to find at
Coles lately

--
531Aussie

Old January 27th 07, 07:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Boostland

ps.com...

Jock wrote:
[...]

I have been turned off staminade due to the artificial sweetner that they
use in it.

I use Gatorade powder at the rate of 1.5 scoops per bidon, sometimes I carry
1 bidon with just water in addition to the one with Gatorade.

Old January 28th 07, 11:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

531Aussie wrote:

Glucodin powder is very cheap, but you have to add some salts and
flavouring.
I get it from Priceline or Coles, but it's become harder to find at
Coles lately

Brewers sugar (maltodextrin and dextrose) gives you some
longer chain carbs as well. I like a blend of honey and
molasses (7:1) with maltodextrin, salt and water, nice and
thick like a gel. Mmmmmm.