Magpies! Known swoopers??

Old August 28th 07, 12:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeDe

Default Magpies! Known swoopers??

I know of two spots in Mt Dandy where I've been swooped on in previous years
but not at the moment. Sherbrooke Rd virtually at the Tourist Rd and Ridge
Rd just up from the Mt Dandy Bakery. These birds can stay in areas for years
so I'm expecting them to start soon.

"MikeyOz" wrote in message

JoeDe Wrote:
A this time of the year Maggie hater!

I have had a few have a go at me in Melbourne, but just be glad you
don't live in Brisbane, they seem to be A LOT more aggressive and
persistant and the season is longer, the airport stretch of road was a
battle ground at certain times of the year, so I am happy to put up
with the few that have a bit of a go at me, when I remember what it was
like in Brisbane.

What I don't understand is how come the mountain areas are generally
safe havens ?? For example, I have never been attacked at any time
around Mt Dandenong or even Mt Cootha in Brisbane ??

--
MikeyOz

Old August 28th 07, 12:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
JoeDe

On a Saturday couple of years ago, a maggie near the roundabout at Research
gave me a cut on the cheek and scared the crap out of me. The next morning
on a group ride through the same roundabout, I played it safe by staying in
the middle of the group but a fellow cyclist forgot my warnings and was a
little ahead when most likely the same bird had a go at him which resulted
in identical war scars.

"MikeyOz" wrote in message

Patrick Turner Wrote:
What's a tiny scratch anyway? be a man and take it.

Yeah good one... you are just lucky not to get a particularly nasty or
aggresive one, I have heard of some pretty bad injuries, losing bits of
ear a specialty.

--
MikeyOz

Old August 28th 07, 12:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-08-28, Donga (aka Bruce)
On Aug 28, 7:14 pm, cfsmtb cfsmtb.2w0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Kingsley Wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:29:43 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

Wouldn't that alter the magpies aerodynamics somewhat?

Nah, I think their brains shrink to compensate...

Hey I can think of obvious analogies for males of other species.
Ooooooo, warning, warning, danger, danger, don't go there ...

No, slag away. We would all nod knowingly, realising it was you with
the problem, not us. Best to let it go through to the keeper.
[/color]

I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

--
TimC
My cats are forbidden from walking on my computer keyboard on the desk
Old August 28th 07, 01:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 21:44:13 +1000, TimC
wrote:

I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
Unless you ride a bent.
Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...
Old August 28th 07, 01:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_407_]

wrote:

I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
Unless you ride a bent.
Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...

Bollox, it was a direct reference to the lesser Kappa'ed South-Eastern
Bogan, unfortunately just like the ones Ray keeps encountering.

--
cfsmtb

Old August 28th 07, 02:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

JoeDe wrote:

On a Saturday couple of years ago, a maggie near the roundabout at Research
gave me a cut on the cheek and scared the crap out of me. The next morning
on a group ride through the same roundabout, I played it safe by staying in
the middle of the group but a fellow cyclist forgot my warnings and was a
little ahead when most likely the same bird had a go at him which resulted
in identical war scars.

I must be maggie wize. I have had hundreds of attacks from maggies.
I just wave em off, and ride straight, and duck the head a bit when you
hear them comimg.

Neither the bird or I lose. We both make our point.

Patrick Turner.

Old August 28th 07, 09:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

wrote:

I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
Unless you ride a bent.
Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...

Bollox, it was a direct reference to the lesser Kappa'ed South-Eastern
Bogan, unfortunately just like the ones Ray keeps encountering.

--
cfsmtb

.... the rellies we all like to deny. How embarrassing!

Old August 28th 07, 10:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Kingsley

wrote:

I think she is referring to male Suburu WRX drivers.

Definitely not to male cyclists. Regular size balls can be bad enough.
Unless you ride a bent.
Hang on, didn't Kingsley just get himself one...

Heh! :P

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

Old August 28th 07, 11:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

JoeDe wrote:
On a Saturday couple of years ago, a maggie near the roundabout at Research
gave me a cut on the cheek and scared the crap out of me. The next morning
on a group ride through the same roundabout, I played it safe by staying in
the middle of the group but a fellow cyclist forgot my warnings and was a
little ahead when most likely the same bird had a go at him which resulted
in identical war scars.

That's the most aggressive maggie I've ever come across. He caught me
two years ago and left me bleeding from both ears. I was going downhill
at about 40kmh after the first hit and he still caught me for a second go.

DaveB

Swooping magpies spiz Australia 15 October 8th 05 01:08 PM
Magpies season Kenzo Australia 23 September 24th 05 03:14 AM
Magpies Shabby Australia 11 September 3rd 05 01:01 AM
Magpies and helmets just us Australia 9 November 10th 04 10:08 AM
Swooping magpies amirm Australia 111 October 23rd 03 01:20 AM